Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: After the 1980's refit, what role did the CIC play, vs. the newly installed CEC. Is the CIC open to the public at any of the museums?

Comment

• Would love to hear Rusty's explanation but as far as I have heard the CEC replaced the CIS when the Harpoons & Tomahawks where installed. I was in the CEC of the USS Iowa just 2 days ago and it is high on our list of additions to the Battleship Iowa tour. Craig Johnson
      Craig Johnson

Comment

• The CIC (Combat Information Center) was also reactivated but more as a back up system to the new CEC (Combat Engagement Center). Within CEC was also the "Spook Room" that intercepted "enemy" radio traffic and did decoding.

Such redundancy is typical of US Navy ships. For example, the Iowa class Battleships have TWO Main Battery Fire Control computers rather than just one. One is forward of Broadway and the other is at the aft end of Broadway.

Which reminds me. The Washington Navy Yard "STOLE" our aft computer and we need it back to comply with the Navy requirement to keep the ship ready for reactivation.
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Where were 16" naval rifles made?

James

Comment

• Personal request ...

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
            The CIC (Combat Information Center) was also reactivated but more as a back up system to the new CEC (Combat Engagement Center). Within CEC was also the "Spook Room" that intercepted "enemy" radio traffic and did decoding.

Such redundancy is typical of US Navy ships. For example, the Iowa class Battleships have TWO Main Battery Fire Control computers rather than just one. One is forward of Broadway and the other is at the aft end of Broadway.

Which reminds me. The Washington Navy Yard "STOLE" our aft computer and we need it back to comply with the Navy requirement to keep the ship ready for reactivation.
            Mr. L,

I am in D.C. on business near the WNY next week.
            Would you like for me to present a letter for you?
            Attached Files

Comment

• Why do you have to worry about complying with Navy regs for reactivation when the Navy just scrapped all the remaining 16 inch barrels, essentially putting the nail in the logistical coffin re: ever reactivating even in some hypothetical WWIII shit hit the fan scenario? Does the Navy really give a damn if the 16 inchers can still fire or not?

Comment

• Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
                Mr. L,

I am in D.C. on business near the WNY next week.
                Would you like for me to present a letter for you?
                Hmmm. The plot thickens.

Just roam around, take note of any items as being displayed as being from the USS Iowa (or any of her class). Take photos if you can. Don't arouse suspicion. Ask just basic questions. Do NOT mention anything about Iowa still under Navy restriction to be ready for reactivation.

Besides the Iowa's Fire Control Computer you will probably find a number of items there including a burner light-off torch and a Soda Fountain from the Missouri. But BB-63 is no longer on restraint. They were among several items that were removed from the museum we had at the Long Beach Naval Shipyard. I was commissioned by the Missouri and New Jersey museum groups to gather up those items so they could be displayed aboard ship. But my tags were torn off and all items suddenly vanished.

They all belong aboard their ships (unless donated BY THOSE SHIPS), not in a land based museum that only a few people know that exists and is not heavily visited because of its location.

Who knows what you will find there? I sure wish I could be with you. But my long distance travel days are a bit iffy lately.

Contact me through our private messages on this site so we can exchange e-mail addresses, etc. if you find anything astounding (or at least curious).

Comment

• Loading a 16-gun tour ....

Originally posted by ArmorPiercing88 View Post
                  Why do you have to worry about complying with Navy regs for reactivation when the Navy just scrapped all the remaining 16 inch barrels, essentially putting the nail in the logistical coffin re: ever reactivating even in some hypothetical WWIII shit hit the fan scenario? Does the Navy really give a damn if the 16 inchers can still fire or not?
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU2bROPTMgw

Comment

• Cool video, but I still don't see how the Navy can give a hoot one way or the other if a 1930's era computer is onboard the ship or not. The Navy isn't ever reactivating the Iowas, and if they cared about complying with the regs to keep them in a battle ready state, then they'd not have scrapped all the gun barrels. Or does the Navy actually...and very quietly...still want to keep the 16 inchers in a state where they could really be returned to service?

Comment

• Originally posted by ArmorPiercing88 View Post
                      Cool video, but I still don't see how the Navy can give a hoot one way or the other if a 1930's era computer is onboard the ship or not. The Navy isn't ever reactivating the Iowas, and if they cared about complying with the regs to keep them in a battle ready state, then they'd not have scrapped all the gun barrels. Or does the Navy actually...and very quietly...still want to keep the 16 inchers in a state where they could really be returned to service?
                      Well, your last sentence would be my preference. But there is another factor involved. The fire control computer that was removed was located in the aft FC room just off of Broadway where it would be most accessible to visitors. The forward computer is not that easy to get at.

Sure, we could relocate the fwd computer back aft. That's generally speaking. The actual work itself takes expert electronics techs and well trained riggers with the proper equipment to move it. And then "which wire plugged into where?" Return of the original aft computer and its installation has a better access route. Also leaving the forward computer intact would provide a guide as to what plug receives which wire.

Comment

• If its a display at the Navy Museum, or even just in storage, I think the Navy will tell you that it is in compliance with the reactivation regs.

They have control of it, and in case it is needed, they know where it is. They can maintain it in better condition in their climate controlled building, ect ect ect..

Nothing says, correct me if I'm wrong, that everything has to be stored on the ship.

Comment

• Also Rusty what is the title of your book and where can I get it? Would love to buy a copy.

Comment

• A History of the Long Beach Naval Shipyard, Roosevelt Base & Reeves Field N.A.S.

I purchased my copy here:

http://www.amazon.com/History-Shipya.../dp/1448648521

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                              If its a display at the Navy Museum, or even just in storage, I think the Navy will tell you that it is in compliance with the reactivation regs.

They have control of it, and in case it is needed, they know where it is. They can maintain it in better condition in their climate controlled building, ect ect ect..

Nothing says, correct me if I'm wrong, that everything has to be stored on the ship.
                              It would not be STORED on the ship. It would be re-installed on its foundation and all cables hooked back up, just as the forward computer is. Preservation is still done with dehumidified air and personal maintenance is provided by our Elex Techs on board. The New Jersey is no longer on the restriction caveat and has replace the cast steel top of the computer with a clear fiberglass copy. Therefore visitors can see all the lights, gears, cams, wheels, etc. turning under the cover rather than just looking at the dials.

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                                I know when we got a docent tour of the Hornet a few years ago (being a Boy Scout helped!), they took us up to the auxiliary steering room, which was actually at the very front of the ship underneath the flight deck. On another impromptu docent-led tour, a docent took us down to the Forward Gyrocompass Room, and explained that there was another Gyrocompass Room towards the rear of the ship somewhere (we didn't get to go to that one). tbm could probably say more about this than I could.
                                "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Working...
                                X