This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
    I know it looks like the left barrel of Turret II is missing. It's was there but was out of the picture. The white patch is a sheet of galvanized steel installed during her last inactivation to keep the turret compartment sealed against dampness.

The crane is installing the new tripod mast and the photo was taken at the Avendale dry dock.
    Thanks Rusty, it is kind of disheartening to find out that Navsource captions are sometimes incorrect - but it sure is wonderful to know someone who can correct them.
    I have a couple 16" gun questions:
    When a gun is replaced on the Iowa class, is the barrel inserted through the gun port?
    How is the barrel attached to the breach mechanism?
    Last edited by USSWisconsin; 26 Jan 11,, 21:29.
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

I'm going to try to upload 5 photos I've scanned of the Missouri's regunning back in the 50's. I'm not too sure I can do this right so I'm sending one at a time with captions.

For example, this first one shows Turret I trained out of the way for barrel removals of Turret II. You can see the sheild sleeves of Turret II have already been removed and stowed on the turret top.

The center panel of Turret I top is still in place and does not need to be removed.
      Attached Files
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Looks like the first one came out okay. Had to reduce the sizes because I scanned them in 600 dpi.

This second one could be captioned:

"C'mon you guys. Put your backs into it. I can't push this out of the yoke all by myself".
        Attached Files

Comment

THERE! You see? I told you all we needed was a bigger hammer.
          Attached Files

Comment

HEY you guys down there. Where do you want me to put this thing?
            Attached Files

Comment

It's simple. We just pick up one of these new barrels and follow the same procedure of taking an old one out but in reverse.

NINE TIMES.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thank You, That is very clear, #2, #3 are scenes I had never seen before. What a great explaination.
                sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Yes thanks. Really interesting stuff. In the first photo you can see bolts on top of turret I. You mentioned they only need to remove one section on the top of the turret? Not up on turret construction, but I think there is the outer armour and protection under that? How accessible are the bolts from the inside if they go through?

Rusty, the support platform for barrel, was that something stored away or constructed each time? Was there only one, or a was there one for the east coast and one for the west coast? You already mentioned they support the main deck from below, must be a pain in the a** to get all that supporting gear below decks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_NJ View Post
                    Yes thanks. Really interesting stuff. In the first photo you can see bolts on top of turret I. You mentioned they only need to remove one section on the top of the turret? Not up on turret construction, but I think there is the outer armour and protection under that? How accessible are the bolts from the inside if they go through?

Rusty, the support platform for barrel, was that something stored away or constructed each time? Was there only one, or a was there one for the east coast and one for the west coast? You already mentioned they support the main deck from below, must be a pain in the a** to get all that supporting gear below decks.
                    All of the bolts in the top of the turret are removed from the top. I don't have time to dig out the plan right now, the the edges of each top panel are machined to fit one over the other. The panel underneath is threaded to accept the Class C armor bolt. The turret panels are 7 1/4" thick Class B armor.

The cradle assemblies are not storable items. They have to be built new each time. However, if you have to change out more than one barrel, they can be partially disassembled to move over under the next barrel. But the reinforcement columns between Main Deck and 2nd Deck have to be moved also. A very time consuming process to say the least.

Incidentally, while I was putting the 8X10 photos back in the book, I took another look at the Procedures book and noticed its issue date was in January of 1954. The title block column listing applicable ships naturally had BB 63 (USS Missouri) listed. But right under that it also listed BB 62 (New Jersey). Many people have asked if the Big J ever had a full barrel change out. Maybe she did. I'll let you more intense research guys look that one up.

Comment

I have a question. When I would visit the USS North Carolina, I noticed in the Powder Magazine that some of the canisters were stacked high. I'm curious as to whether the powder could safely be removed from those heights, and moreover how were the canisters stored that high?

I'm assuming that each canister contained several bags, making it weigh several hundred pounds.

Comment

I show the New Jersey recieving a full 9 gun main battery replacement in 1957 New York Navy Yard/ Bayonne NJ before mothballing. And then Turret 2 Gun 2 (1984) in Long Beach California shortly after the reactivation and trip to Lebannon in January.
                        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by DocHayes View Post
                          I have a question. When I would visit the USS North Carolina, I noticed in the Powder Magazine that some of the canisters were stacked high. I'm curious as to whether the powder could safely be removed from those heights, and moreover how were the canisters stored that high?

I'm assuming that each canister contained several bags, making it weigh several hundred pounds.
                          The USN establishes how much powder can be stored or "stacked" in each of the powder magazine compartments. They are on both Port and Starboard side Magazine spaces.

For instance:

Turret #1 You have six storage spaces. The amount of powder stored depends upon which service charge is being stored either "Full Service" Mk.8's or "Reduced Service" Mk. 4's. Turret #1 can store approx 387 projectiles on her shell decks and requires x amount of both powder bags to service the turret.

Turret #2 You have eight storage spaces. This turret like the North Carolina and Iowas is in the superfiring position allowing an extra shell deck capacity of 456 projectiles and suitable powder.

Turret #3 You also have six spaces for powder storage and 367 projectile storage.

There are markings in the powder mags that indicate the height of which they are allowed to be stacked and no higher by USN standard. By laying them down and interlocking them they will be secured from movement along with other safety features.

They weigh appoximately 405-410 lbs each for full service charge canister.

75lbs for the powder canister alone (Mk.8) Aluminum case.
                          330lbs of powder bags themself (3 bags per canister)
                          X lbs = amount of ethylene and alcohol liquid mixture which keeps the powder stable for storage.

They are removed from their storage via traveling hoist and monorail (stability on a rolling ship) and other handling tools and brought into the powder handling room and then the canisters are opened once inside the handling room proper and away from the rest of the powder stored in the magazine. Once opened, they are rolled down very long solid brass (non sparking) tables for passing through the rotating flametight scuttles to your powder handlers and then to your elevators.
                          Last edited by Dreadnought; 01 Feb 11,, 20:08.
                          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by DocHayes View Post

I attended a full load out of New Jersey at Seal Beach with a representative from Earl Naval Weapons Handling Center. Since there are people who think we should be in the "push-button age" and have machines do all the work, we were to review the loadout procedure step by step.

For most of the powder cannisters, there is a small monorail hanging about a foot down from the overhead to move the cannisters to their stowage spots. It is not a motorized trolley. Just a hand pulled trolley that works very well and the handlers can stop it just at the right spot.

The upper two or three rows of cannisters are too high for the dolly wire to be short enough to swing the cannisters in. So, after the cannister is downloaded through the hatches and into the outer powder handling room, they are opened up and the powder bags taken out. The cannister is then hand passed (bucket brigade style) to the men in the magazine and manually stacked (a good reason we went from steel cannisters to aluminum cannisters). Then each powder bag (at 110 lbs each) is carried in and lifted up by two men to push it into the cannister. There are some cardboard pieces to take up slack but sometimes there are too many.

So one of the handlers grabs hold of the monorail, pulls himself up and pushes (or sometimes kicks) the powder bags in so the cannister cover will fit for closing.

The ship's photographer took photos for us of every single step, using up a lot of 35 mm film. He gave the film to the Earl rep for developing. Naturally I asked for a set of the photos. However, the rep called me a few days later to report that there was no better or faster way to "mechanize" the loading systems. Also the photos were great. But they were left on one of the supervisor's desk WITH the negatives. When they came back from lunch, all photos and negatives had been stolen.

Believe me, I know what some of those photos would look like and the faces of the people in them (including mine). If I ever see those photos in a book or for sale I will report the owner for theft of Government Property.

Comment

Sighting gun No. 2

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                              I show the New Jersey recieving a full 9 gun main battery replacement in 1957 New York Navy Yard/ Bayonne NJ before mothballing. And then Turret 2 Gun 2 (1984) in Long Beach California shortly after the reactivation and trip to Lebannon in January.
                              I assume Turret 2, Gun 2 was replaced due to the fact is was used the most for sighting rounds?

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
                                I assume Turret 2, Gun 2 was replaced due to the fact is was used the most for sighting rounds?
                                That is absolutely correct. We did recommend a limited number of reduced service rounds that could be fired, but the gun was never used until the barrel replacement was ready.

It really ticked off the Gun Captain. He lived about 150 yards from me and did an absolutely stupendous restoration of a Ford Model A stake bed pick-up truck. He even let me drive it one night. He was also surprised (and very pleased) that I knew how to double clutch.

Comment

Working...
                                X