X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hboGYT
    replied
    Originally posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    Yes, it's wrong. But also yes, smaller caliber fire could and did certainly start fires on Battleships. Just ask South Dakota at Guadalcanal.

But as for a topside fire gradually sinking the ship like it does in the game....nope. That's totally unrealistic. As is the whole "don't show your broadside" business in the game. In real Battleships, the broadside is where your armor is. The game is fun, but don't treat it like a simulation...it's not.
    Does have some darn nice graphics and ship modeling, though.
    What about citadel shots?

Leave a comment:

• Pacfanweb
    replied
    Originally posted by hboGYT View Post
    Here's a question. Did battleships get set on fire by small calibre gun fire?

I ask this because in this game I play, World of Warships, when I play a BB, a lot of CA, CL and DD try to gun fight me by peppering me with HE shells and setting me on fire. The fire does 10 times more damage to me than the explosions themselves. That's got to be wrong, no?
    Yes, it's wrong. But also yes, smaller caliber fire could and did certainly start fires on Battleships. Just ask South Dakota at Guadalcanal.

But as for a topside fire gradually sinking the ship like it does in the game....nope. That's totally unrealistic. As is the whole "don't show your broadside" business in the game. In real Battleships, the broadside is where your armor is. The game is fun, but don't treat it like a simulation...it's not.
    Does have some darn nice graphics and ship modeling, though.

Leave a comment:

• hboGYT
    replied
    Here's a question. Did battleships get set on fire by small calibre gun fire?

I ask this because in this game I play, World of Warships, when I play a BB, a lot of CA, CL and DD try to gun fight me by peppering me with HE shells and setting me on fire. The fire does 10 times more damage to me than the explosions themselves. That's got to be wrong, no?

Leave a comment:

• Thoddy
    replied
    Have a question regarding battleship propulsion

for U.S.S. Massachusetts (BB 59) form BRIEF DESCRIPTION - ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT
    "Each Boiler can change 16,500 gallons of water into steam at 600 lbs. per sq. in. pressure and 850 degrees F. Temperature in an hour. In order to do this it burns about 1400 gallons of fuel oil per hour."

BBs 61 to 64 used improved Babcock Wilcox Boilers. What was the designed steam output and fuel flow?

And btw is there somebody knowing the specific calorific value of the used fuel oil during WW2 [BTU/gal]
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• bigjimslade
    replied
    Originally posted by bigjimslade View Post
    To finish my computer model, I am looking for measured drawings of the following Iowa class details:

Nixie Bolsters
    Armored Box Launchers
    Life Raft Holders
    Phalanx Guns
    SATCOM Antenna
    SQL-32 Antenna
    Bow Roller Chock
    16" Range Finder Hoods
    MK 37 Director
    MK 38 Director
    AN/SPS-6 Antenna
    AN/SPS-10 Antenna
    New Jersey/Iowa Bow Bulwark
    Funnel Caps
    I need to add to this list, the same for the boat cranes.

Leave a comment:

• bbvet
    replied
    With all due respect, Sumrall isn't to be taken lightly.
    While I respect Robt. Sumrall and all he has done for US Naval history, etc. there were NO dual 20mm mounts on MISSOURI or any of the other 3 IOWAs that I can find from well over 100 photos of these ships. I think the operative clause in his complete statement is this: "It is uncertain if this installation was carried out in any of the class."

Leave a comment:

• jdm4791
    replied
    This is an Anatomy of the Ship book for the Iowas? If so, when did that come out?

The text of Sumrall says;

"The Armament Summaries of the Bu Ord indicate that the Iowas were each fitted with eight twin 20mm mounts in 1945 for evaluation purposes. It is uncertain if this installation was carried out in any of the class."

Holy equivocation, Batman!
    My apologies - it is the Sumrall book and not an AOTS. "It is uncertain if this installation was carried out in any of the class." An interesting reason to feel it occurred would be that USS Washington and USS North Carolina were in the same battle area and have numerous twin 20's. Now in an opposite turn of events, none of my NC texts mention twins yet they are there when you visit the ship.

Cheers,

Don

Leave a comment:

• jdm4791
    replied
    Originally posted by bbvet View Post
    Don,

It doesn't matter what AOTS says. Three separate and informed members just gave you the correct answer to your original question.
    With all due respect, Sumrall isn't to be taken lightly.

Cheers,

Don

Leave a comment:

• bigjimslade
    replied
    Originally posted by jdm4791 View Post
    AOTS lists twin 20's as well but doesn't state where they are.
    This is an Anatomy of the Ship book for the Iowas? If so, when did that come out?

The text of Sumrall says;

"The Armament Summaries of the Bu Ord indicate that the Iowas were each fitted with eight twin 20mm mounts in 1945 for evaluation purposes. It is uncertain if this installation was carried out in any of the class."

Holy equivocation, Batman!
    Last edited by bigjimslade; 19 Dec 17,, 16:55.

Leave a comment:

• bbvet
    replied
    Don,

It doesn't matter what AOTS says. Three separate and informed members just gave you the correct answer to your original question.

Leave a comment:

• jdm4791
    replied
    Sumrall states all four ships had 8 twin 20mm mounts by April 1945.
    This is the problem I'm having. I have the Floating Drydock plans and also the Anatomy Of The Ship. AOTS lists twin 20's as well but doesn't state where they are.

Cheers,

Don

Leave a comment:

• bigjimslade
    replied
    Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
    Just checked my copy of "The Floating Drydocks "BB-63 2 Sept 1945 Plan Book"

No twin 20mm.

Don, if you're building the Missouri at the surrender then you need to find the above book
    Sumrall states all four ships had 8 twin 20mm mounts by April 1945.

Leave a comment:

• Gun Grape
    replied
    Just checked my copy of "The Floating Drydocks "BB-63 2 Sept 1945 Plan Book"

No twin 20mm.

Don, if you're building the Missouri at the surrender then you need to find the above book

Leave a comment:

• bbvet
    replied
    Don,

Not to disparage or in any way downplay this forum, but if you're building a model of MISSOURI (circa 09/45), you probably would find many, if not all of your questions answered over on The Ship Model Forum (http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum...hp?f=47&t=4683) - this link takes you directly to the Calling All USS IOWA (BB-61) Fans forum, which is set up for those building models of IOWA class battleships. The forum is devoted to MODELERS and so....what can I say??

But, since you asked - you didn't give any modeling details re. your project, but Sept. 45 is a end date for most WWII IOWA class models as it's the configuration at the end of hostilities. Since you are building MO, then any of the other 3 ships don't apply here. The ships all varied in their suite of 20mm mounts. Here are two photos of MISSOURI during 09/45 and I don't see any DUAL 20mm mounts - only singles:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	BB63x19-14Jul45_resized.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	1475673Click image for larger version

Name:	BB63x22-2Sep45_resized.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	1475674 While these photos do not show the entire ship, I feel confident that my answer is correct.

I am currently bashing the Trumpeter 1:200 scale MISSOURI kit in order to build a 1968-69 vintage NEW JERSEY. I don't believe the 1945 MISSOURI had any dual 20mm mounts as there are none in this kit and from that aspect only, the kit is quite correct.

Hope this helps,

HMS III - USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 1968-69
    Last edited by bbvet; 19 Dec 17,, 02:57. Reason: adding signature

Leave a comment:

• jdm4791
    replied
    I was wondering if any of the experts knew the placement of the Iowa Class twin 20mm gun mounts. The four Iowa Class ended WW2 with a number (I believe 6 or 12) of twin 20mm mountings. I am trying to find out which 20mm mounts on the Iowa's as of 1945 were single or twin. I am building a model of USS Missouri as at the time of the September 1945 surrender ceremony and I'm questioning where the mounts go.

Thanks in advance,

Don Murphy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X