X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ironman View Post
    Hi,

New here,

See most is geared towards WWII and newer. Doing research on turn of the century battleships of the Maine (BB10) class.

Are there experts here that know ships of the era?

If I have posted in wrong area please advise
    I have done a lot of research on this period - please take a look at the thread mentioned in the intro forum
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

• I have many books that cover many of these ships in detail and point out important highlights of their careers that may lead you to further and better research that has been published since here on the net.

And Wiskey had done alot of research on the papers he has written. Im sure between atleast us two we can point you in a good direction.

I did check and Maine (BB10) is listed in detail along with Missouri (BB11) and Ohio (BB-12).

What would you like to know?
      Last edited by Dreadnought; 13 Oct 11,, 17:15.
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• My purpose is to build a 1:48 scale model of BB10 USS Maine. Most of what I'm seeking at this point is viewable detail along with explanation, perhaps diagrams of how certain things worked. I have gone to the regular sources on the net. Nav source, etc. As well have viewed several books.

There doesn't seem to be much visual information available for these older ships.
        I have letters off to NARA and pictures have started coming in. None of the close up detail sought.

I am preparing my first queries, and should be able to present tomorrow.

Mick

Comment

• Mick,

You might want to check and post here about modeling: Modelers Corner
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Thanks Doc,

Heading there.

Mick

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironman View Post
              Thanks Doc,

Heading there.

Mick
              This will provide you some of the visuals,
              http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/10a.htm
              Library of Congress: Maine (BB 10)

There were some minor differences in the three ships of the class. I will snap shot a page from the book. This will give you all the known details of armor, armament, and other thing like mast to funnel height, performance etc.

Differences listed:

Maine had a white after turret, Missouri and Ohio's were both "Buff" colored.
              Maine and Missouri had very tall funnels. Ohio's were shorter.
              Main and Missouri had taller Steam Hawse Pipes (the small funnels you see protruding through the deck) Ohio's were much shorter and stubby.

Engineering wise Maine had different boilers (Niclausse) then the other two which had Thornycrofts.
              Last edited by Dreadnought; 14 Oct 11,, 15:38.

Comment

• From Janes Fighting Ships 1906-1907 Pg. 102 9th edition.
                Sorry about the coloring, the camera doesnt like the glossy paper they were printed on.
                Attached Files

Comment

• At first I thought, "1:48 wow! That's got to be an enormous model!" But it's only 8.5" by 1.5" and that's not too bad. I'm so used to thinking in Iowa-class terms (19' x 2.25') which is gigantic. Early battleships just weren't that large. Have fun!

Comment

• At first I thought, "1:48 wow! That's got to be an enormous model!" But it's only 8.5" by 1.5" and that's not too bad. I'm so used to thinking in Iowa-class terms (19' x 2.25') which is gigantic. Early battleships just weren't that large. Have fun!

Thanks, I'm still in the gathering info stage. I've been researching for a couple years, mostly Spanish/American war up to 1910. At one point I almost decided on a BB4 USS Iowa, but those 8" guns and barbettes hanging out over the tumblehome look odd to me.

There were some minor differences in the three ships of the class. I will snap shot a page from the book. This will give you all the known details of armor, armament, and other thing like mast to funnel height, performance etc.

Thank you Dreadought,

There was a myriad of detail differences between the three. Some very plain to see, others require a bit of study.

I have all photos and information that's been listed in this and the modelers corner thread so far. The information I'm seeking may well be known to only a few, if in fact anyone that yet lives.

I seek technical information about things like how lifeline stanchions were attached, what the sea chest looked like, how the seal and clamp system worked for keeping water out of main gun batteries, What the attachment point for a bridge railing looked like and how many variants, how construction issues were resolved for simple things like a flange, what a support looked like for a platform on a mast etc.

If the ship in question were an Iowa class Battleship of WWII or a destroyer of same era, visual information as well text is available for nearly every aspect.

The ships of USN from the Spanish/American war though the Great White Fleet are poorly, and in many cases incorrectly represented.
                    My goal is to build an accurate model of BB10 USS Maine. However, the more research I do the more I find a need for an accurate account of these vessels to be developed, and distributed for the sake of preservation.
                    If another generation passes without such, it is likely the accurate technical detail of these vessels will be lost.

The National Archives haven't produced many photos, and none so far that show good detail. Aside from photos, the only viable source are the original builders drawings. Several problems are associated with this.

1. In most cases only a few of the original drawings exist

2. What does exist may not be accurate in relation to "as built"

3. Many drawings from this era are Ink on linen, (which is good) but has a down side of being degraded by the scanning process. There are some drawings that NARA will no longer allow to be scanned. If they can not be copied the only access is on the basis of visiting the Archives in person.

4. For the drawings that can be copied the cost associated to retrieve them is formidable to say the least. example,.. to have 1 sheet of deck plan for a ship the size of BB4 USS Iowa scanned, put on CD and mailed to you would be just over $200.
                    If you could take direct delivery of the CD it would be just under $200
                    Not hard to see whats required if one were to endeavor an in depth study of the subject.

Anyway, I've probably ranted long enough about NARA, they are kind of like :bang:

Here is a pic taken aboard USS Georgia, the area highlighted shows a clamping system that retains a water seal around the main guns.
                    Does anyone know how this setup works?
                    And does anyone have a close up of a barbette from era that shows these clamps in detail?

I have several photos, this is about the best.

Mick
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Ironman; 14 Oct 11,, 20:56.

Comment

• Have you ever considered visiting USS Olympia? The tech should somewhat be the same as Olympia was launched about 8 years before and she is the only one left of their kind. Might give you some ideas.

A nice overhead of Maine
                      http://www.imagefree.org/freeimage/V...imageId=217637

Comment

• Dreadnought

Have you ever considered visiting USS Olympia? The tech should somewhat be the same as Olympia was launched about 8 years before and she is the only one left of their kind. Might give you some ideas.

My understanding is the Olympia has been closed for tours due to safety issues and may well be sunk if funds don't materialize.

I have this photo taken on board BB18 USS Connecticut that has fair detail.

One can see that these clamps and seals differ if compared with those of USS Georgia. I know a basic "standardization" as per USN applied to construction, however it seems that varied from yard to yard. ie. Cramp and Sons had their own style. As well the human factor of interpretation.

Mick
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Olympia has had a temporary stay. She was open and operational two weeks ago as far as I know and may still be. You should call them and perhaps get aboard and take the Engineering tour. It may be your last chance to actually see it for real instead of pictures that might not exist and I do know they will let you see the Triple expansions. Try it.

Comment

• For what it's worth...

For what it's worth, here's a very old picture of me in front of the Olympia's stern sometime in the 1970s. This was before Penn's Landing was created in on the Delaware River in Philadelphia. It was moored at a birth near the Ben Franklin Bridge. I don't look exactly like that anymore.

I bought one of those inexpensive LED slide scanners and converted 800 slides that were collecting dust (lots of dust) to digital and now have them for use. It's not a bad way to go.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Olympia has had a temporary stay. She was open and operational two weeks ago as far as I know and may still be. You should call them and perhaps get aboard and take the Engineering tour. It may be your last chance to actually see it for real instead of pictures that might not exist and I do know they will let you see the Triple expansions. Try it.

It is one of those things I wish to do. It would be a good experience, but I am far from able to take such a journey.

I don't look exactly like that anymore.

No ?

And the convertible is long gone no doubt.

Mick

Comment

• Originally posted by Builder 2010 View Post
                                At first I thought, "1:48 wow! That's got to be an enormous model!" But it's only 8.5" by 1.5" and that's not too bad. I'm so used to thinking in Iowa-class terms (19' x 2.25') which is gigantic. Early battleships just weren't that large. Have fun!
                                Recheck the division of your hand calculator. 388'-0"/48=8'-1" for overall length and 72'-3"/48=1'-6". Still a pretty good size model. One of the other members of this forum builds fiberglass hulls for model builders of similar ships but mostly in 1:96 scale. I don't know if he has this one or not but you can punch up his website; Welcome to the Scale Shipyard.
                                Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Working...
                                X