X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JRT
    replied
    Originally posted by bigjimslade View Post
    Does anyone know what this is of? I got a copy of this at NARA but see no ID and can't match it up to something on the IOWAs.

I probably should not answer this because I am far from an expert on the subject matter, but that aside the drawing states that it is a "MODEL D-16 SLIDING PADEYE", 24 feet tall, located on and above the main deck at Frame 149. Notice also in the upper left corner of the drawing there is a detail of the rigging instruction plate mounted to the lower framework of the sliding padeye, showing how a 1.25 inch wire rope pendant should be attached.

The sliding padeye in the following picture (Google found it) might not be the same as Model D-16, but is a similar device. My limited understanding is that it is used for underway replenishment. And I suspect that might be the "HELO CONTROL STATION PLATFORM" visible behind the item, but also am not at all sure about that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	016463.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	1469164

Here is another sliding padeye:

Name:	Navy-Pad-eye.jpg
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	1469163
    Last edited by JRT; 07 Aug 16,, 04:02.

Leave a comment:

• bbvet
    replied
    Big Jim,

It might help if you post the OTHER half of the drawing!!! It looks like there's more to it than what shows.

Leave a comment:

• bigjimslade
    replied
    What is this?

Does anyone know what this is of? I got a copy of this at NARA but see no ID and can't match it up to something on the IOWAs.

Leave a comment:

• bbvet
    replied
    [Dick,

Well, if I'm correct (and - we've both acquired newer, refurb'd Dells with Windows 10 in the last couple months) - the blue circular "donut" is the symbol for "I'm processing" or something like that. NOt knowing anything else about your computer setup, I'm not sure why this is occurring during those two particular operations. Usually, that should be rather quick. Wish I could help you on that...it IS frustrating, to say the least.

To catch you up, here are a few photos of the NEW JERSEY superstructure just before I put it in the closet to start on the hull work:

Name:	Main Mast wo Antennas (Large).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1469159Click image for larger version

Name:	Stbd Side Mounts_3(Medium).JPG
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	1469160Click image for larger version

Name:	Stbd. Mk 56 Directors (Large).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1469161

Later,

Hank

Leave a comment:

• RustyBattleship
    replied
    Thank you very much. But I've slowly (too slowly) been working on Revision "B". But I also need a younger person who is more computer oriented than I am. Most of the slow pace I have to blame on Microsoft. Whenever I type a paragraph or transfer a picture --- this tiny blue donut pops up and goes around and around and around and --- I have now idea what the darn thing is doing but waste my time and patience.

Oh as for Julia, she's up in Santa Fe Springs with our daughter and four grandchildren.

Leave a comment:

• bbvet
    replied
    Rusty Battleship wrote:
    I'm also running low on happiness because not a single copy of my book has been sold this month. Hope just one sells before next Tuesday and I can count it as a birthday present for my 80th year on this planet. But if one doesn't sell, well, I have a back up plan
    Dick,

Over on The Ship Model Forum I've been pushing "The Book" whenever I can in any thread/topic that it would be more than appropriate for the participants to read. At the moment that's two separate threads dealing with battleship models, etc. However, to be honest, the more enlightened battleship enthusiasts (both educationally and historically) appear to be members of this forum. We do have several modeler/writer/historians that are some of the more knowledgeable members, but also some younger members who seem to think that Wikipedia is the only source of reference and anyone whose actually served on a BB, etc. is out of touch.

Whether I've been successful or not is something I'll probably never know, but that doesn't deter me in the least!

Hope Mrs. L. is on the mend and I'm glad you brought up the AMEX/Costco item - I had forgotten about that - perhaps a sticky on the dashboard to remind me to pay cash!!

Hank

Leave a comment:

• bigjimslade
    replied
    Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
    That shouldn't be too hard. General Dynamics built them also. But Remember: The BB's had the Block 1 mounts that did not have a barrel support frame around them. The replicas we have on the Iowa are Block 3 mounts.

So far no joy and I've got all this empty area to fill in:

Leave a comment:

• RustyBattleship
    replied
    Originally posted by bigjimslade View Post
    I am also looking for measured drawings of the Phalanx mounts.
    That shouldn't be too hard. General Dynamics built them also. But Remember: The BB's had the Block 1 mounts that did not have a barrel support frame around them. The replicas we have on the Iowa are Block 3 mounts.

Leave a comment:

• bigjimslade
    replied
    I am also looking for measured drawings of the Phalanx mounts.

Leave a comment:

• bigjimslade
    replied
    Once I asked a manufacturer for measurements for modeling and they sent me complete plans on how to build the weapon.

Leave a comment:

• RustyBattleship
    replied
    Originally posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    Well honestly, if you did shoot at Wal Mart, they wouldn't consider that out of the ordinary.
    Oh golley. That was so many years ago when I always had them at my desk. Last time I used them was back in the 80's helping a friend of mine make a 1:96 master model of one. As a matter of fact, he probably still has the molds. Contact The Scale Shipyard.

The Harpoon launcher tubes were not the standard issue. They were ARMORED tubes so there is a lot of 1 3/4" thick Aluminum Armor around them at certain places.

The ABL's were also 1.75" thick Armor. But, if you are building a model of the New Jersey, the aft two ABL's on the 03 level were built by FMC (Food Machinery Company that also built the M2 & M3 Bradley "tanks"). All the others were built by General Dynamics. The foundations are a bit different between the two companies.

The plans I had for the ABL foundations on the Iowa I have already donated to the ship. Otherwise they would be handy determining the length and width of the ABL's themselves.

Then again, everything we considered "Classified, Secret or Need to Know" in those days is now available on the Internet.

Leave a comment:

• bigjimslade
    replied
    Does anyone know where I can find measured drawings of the Harpoon and Armored Box Launchers on the Iowas?

Leave a comment:

• Pacfanweb
    replied
    Well honestly, if you did shoot at Wal Mart, they wouldn't consider that out of the ordinary.

Leave a comment:

• RustyBattleship
    replied
    Originally posted by Cruiser View Post
    Man oh man, what I wouldn't give for the chance to go through that collection!

Guess I'll look at my copy of "the book" tonight. I've read most of the text, but the pictures and the lists are fascinating in their own rights.

Hope your wife gets to feeling better, Mr. L.

We celebrated my Dad's 80th this past weekend. He's doing well. He ran/walked a 5K earlier that day...
    Thank you. She is feeling better but still frustrated with the new COSTCO CITIBANK card that is all f*ck*d up. She spent 45 minutes ON HOLD yesterday. I pulled up the website and found over a hundred complaints that the switch over from American Express to Citibank is causing extraordinary confusions on our balances. She finally was able to get a balance straightened out so I will make a bank run tomorrow morning to deposit some money and transfer some from another account. But besides buying gasoline at COSTCO, we will probably do more shopping at Walmart which is within .30-06 distance from our house (would need a .50 caliber Barrett to hit COSTCO).

No. I would not actually shoot at the stores. That's just the way I gauge distances from one place to another. Can I walk there or should I take the truck with my handicap placard?

Interesting calculations from one of the crew members of the Battleship Iowa. To drive from the ship to the Los Angeles City Hall would take about an hour and a half. To take public transportation would take about two hours. If terrorists took over the City Hall, a 16"/50 Hi-Cap from turret III would get there in 5 1/2 seconds.

Well, I haven't confirmed those numbers myself, but those of you who like to do number crunching can figure it out yourselves.

Leave a comment:

• Cruiser
    replied
    Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
    I have a four foot tall bookcase full of ship related books. ...
    Man oh man, what I wouldn't give for the chance to go through that collection!

Guess I'll look at my copy of "the book" tonight. I've read most of the text, but the pictures and the lists are fascinating in their own rights.

Hope your wife gets to feeling better, Mr. L.

We celebrated my Dad's 80th this past weekend. He's doing well. He ran/walked a 5K earlier that day...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X