This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Unfortunately Salty, the budget is nothing like what it was and much much less. Many setbacks, layoffs etc. They are making do with what they have in all areas. Its tighter then tight but that cannot allow progress to cease when it comes to her overall appearance. Trust me they have very good people doing the best they can with what little is available and thats the only reason she looks so good for the public.
    I believe that on most museum ships the painting is done by volunteers. I'm sure money is tight on museum ships, so to pay for a full time painter and assistant? Geeze......

Comment

• Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
      I believe that on most museum ships the painting is done by volunteers. I'm sure money is tight on museum ships, so to pay for a full time painter and assistant? Geeze......
      Well, as you would know painting isint the only thing they do, with painting comes chipping, scraping, replacement of wornout metal,welding, grinding etc.
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Well, as you would know painting isint the only thing they do, with painting comes chipping, scraping, replacement of wornout metal,welding, grinding etc.
        In the yards metal work and grinding is done by the shipfitters. Welding...that's obvious.

Comment

In the yards metal work and grinding is done by the shipfitters. Welding...that's obvious.
          Yep, best bang for the buck in this case when your budget is tight.

Comment

Yep, best bang for the buck in this case when your budget is tight.

Why don't you take the job? You're there anyway, so why not get paid? :Dancing-Banana:

Comment

Why don't you take the job? You're there anyway, so why not get paid? :Dancing-Banana:
              Not my trade Ytlas, and I doubt I could do such a nice job as what is being done on her.

Comment

• I have a new question, at least new for me: Did all, or any other, of the BB's have their own Jeep or other vehicle they carried with them?

I have pics of BB55's Jeep on board the ship in 1946. No idea if it had the Jeep during the war or not. Guess it might have been convenient to dock, and drive or lift the Jeep off the ship and have your own wheels and not have to rely on the base to supply you a driver and vehicle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pacfanweb View Post
                  I have a new question, at least new for me: Did all, or any other, of the BB's have their own Jeep or other vehicle they carried with them?

I have pics of BB55's Jeep on board the ship in 1946. No idea if it had the Jeep during the war or not. Guess it might have been convenient to dock, and drive or lift the Jeep off the ship and have your own wheels and not have to rely on the base to supply you a driver and vehicle.
                  Myself, I have never seen one in any pictures I have seen but I have seen pictures of them carry an Admirals Packard aboard and a few others but this was more then likely transportation to another place not a part of the ships fittings such as launches, motor whale, crew gigs or utilities.

There is however this pic of Wisconsin in the 1950's with a chevy sedan delivery aboard and one that was damaged during a storm. I dont know maybe they did carry one at this point.

http://www.usswisconsin.org/Pictures...ail%201952.jpg

This one shows it is a USN car although pretty beat up I would say.

http://www.usswisconsin.org/Pictures...%20fantail.jpg
                  Last edited by Dreadnought; 03 May 11,, 04:43.

Comment

Myself, I have never seen one in any pictures I have seen but I have seen pictures of them carry an Admirals Packard aboard and a few others but this was more then likely transportation to another place not a part of the ships fittings such as launches, motor whale, crew gigs or utilities.
                    The Battleships were never designed to be carriers of land vehicles (jeeps, Packards, bicycles, etc.). But if it was necessary to transport such a vehicle for an Admiral's use there were certainaly enough tie-down fittings and space aboard to do so. And it wasn't "illegal" as long as the stowage of the vehicle did not interfere with the ship's operation.

On Landing Ships, Helicopter Carriers, Aircraft Carriers, etc. when it was time to change home ports the crew were allowed to stow their personal vehicles on board for transport to their new station.

The USS Tarawa (LHA-1) had a special family day cruise where I drove our Chrysler LeBaron down to San Diego and ride the ship back to Long Beach. All vehicle tie down decks were loaded with crew's cars/pickups as well as permitted civilians as long as there was enough room.

I had my wife, daughter, a friend with his two sons (one of them now my son-in-law) in the LeBaron. Had to hit the after burners to get it up the ramp to it's tie down deck. Scraped the bottom frame at the top of the ramp doing so but the kids had a blast.
                    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• BB55's Jeep

Reason I asked is that I may be restoring one that the ship's museum owns so they can display it at the ship and maybe use it for parades and such. It's not the actual one from the pic, but as long as it's the same model I don't think anyone will care much, as long as it's authentic.

Comment

• That certainly looks like an M-38 1/4 ton General Purpose vehicle. But in your restoration, put the spare tire in the back where it's supposed to go and not in front of the radiator.

Good luck on your restoration job. A friend of mine has one but doesn't have the time to fully restore it. Just fix it up, take some of the dents out and make it run.
                        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Don't know if it's going to happen, yet. They don't have that Jeep in the pic. At some point, the museum bought a Jeep that was supposed to be a 1943 that was pretty much like the one that used to be on the ship.....but they tell me they now think they got ripped off and it's really the French licensed version. (Hotchkiss built them)
                          Honestly, there isn't visibly a lot of difference...for the museum's purposes, it would probably work fine if it's not a total basket case. I am near Raleigh, so I haven't been down to Wilmington to look at it, yet.

Comment

• Welding _______ paging a Welder.......

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
                            I was saving this illustration of a weld for the Fletcher DD thread, but it seemed the heavy weights ( BB Thread) offered the opportunity to consider the trade know as Welders who perform countless tasks aboard a metal ship.

The Fletcher thread will get more into various welds / repairs performed, but for the "Ask an Expert - Battleships" thread.

Please offer your opinion / thoughts / insights for the illustration of the freshly painted weld attached.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• That weld is awful. I'm not a professional we
                              der but I weld pretty often. I could do much better than that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pacfanweb View Post
                                That weld is awful. I'm not a professional we
                                der but I weld pretty often. I could do much better than that.
                                ditto, - this afternoon - without having done any welding in 20 yrs. Yuck. Was the welder under fire when he did that?
                                sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                                If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Working...
                                X