Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask An Expert- Battleships

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thanks, do you have any idea how thick the supports are between the deck and the vertical supports?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by bigjimslade View Post
      Thanks, do you have any idea how thick the supports are between the deck and the vertical supports?
      Well, for the WW II mast that had to be lowered down one deck, it always was strong enough. For the aft two legs, we added on special supports one deck high. That was to allow us room for the SRBOC launchers. I have inspected a ship (in Subic Bay) with a much, much smaller design of steel piping and braces. It was a quad mast and the forward port leg and much of its bracing was riddled with shrapnel holes after a 122mm rocket punched through the amplidyne house under the mast.

      But on the BB's LBNSY builds everything BATTLESHIP TOUGH.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

      Comment


      • To Rusty's comments regarding stability of small arms ammunition...

        In 1982 in Grafenwhoer Training Area in Germany my rifle platoon was going through a platoon live fire. When the ammo was dropped off some of the .50 Cal 4:1 machine gun ammo was in wooden boxes instead of cans. 110 rounds instead of 100. And the boxes were secured with wingnuts and the ammo was wrapped in cheese cloth. The boxes had old marking which said USAAF and were from 1943. Also marked FOR INFLIGHT USE ONLY. We fired it anyway and it worked fine.

        In 1983 the same location and I was the 4.2 inch mortar platoon leader...and we were firing HE rounds marked US Army Chemical Corps 1944. They worked just fine as well.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

        Comment


        • This is what I have so far. No antennae. No thing at the front.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-12 at 12.19.00 PM.png
Views:	2
Size:	537.1 KB
ID:	1469486
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-12 at 12.19.33 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	648.0 KB
ID:	1469487

          Comment


          • Originally posted by bigjimslade View Post
            This is what I have so far. No antennae. No thing at the front.
            [ATTACH]42285[/ATTACH]
            [ATTACH]42286[/ATTACH]
            Very nice looking. A couple of suggestions though: The after polemast was also supported by a pair of tripod legs (same diameter as the yardarm supports) starting at about 4 to 5 feet up on the main pole, spread out to almost a 90 degree angle and sloped down at a 45 degree angle.

            Secondly, the SPS-49 antenna "foundation" was a truncated cone, not a straight cylinder. It was about 2 to 3 feet wider at the bottom than the top.
            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              To Rusty's comments regarding stability of small arms ammunition...

              In 1982 in Grafenwhoer Training Area in Germany my rifle platoon was going through a platoon live fire. When the ammo was dropped off some of the .50 Cal 4:1 machine gun ammo was in wooden boxes instead of cans. 110 rounds instead of 100. And the boxes were secured with wingnuts and the ammo was wrapped in cheese cloth. The boxes had old marking which said USAAF and were from 1943. Also marked FOR INFLIGHT USE ONLY. We fired it anyway and it worked fine.

              In 1983 the same location and I was the 4.2 inch mortar platoon leader...and we were firing HE rounds marked US Army Chemical Corps 1944. They worked just fine as well.
              Oh yes, we had so much ammo (and C-rations) left over from WW II we used alot of it up in Nam. Now, if you took that 110 round belt out and stretched it straight to measure it, I think it would come out to 108 feet --- or rather "The Whole Nine Yards".
              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

              Comment


              • Sorry to hijack the thread but i just had to post this

                Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post


                In 1983 the same location and I was the 4.2 inch mortar platoon leader...and we were firing HE rounds marked US Army Chemical Corps 1944. They worked just fine as well.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	13260106_891149460993683_2233080066630031590_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1469488
                Human Scum. Proud Never Trumper

                Comment


                • Thanks much. I actually had the support leading to the antennas but, as so often happens with 3d modeling, I forgot to include those supports.

                  In regard to the SPS-49 mount, big thanks. I am totally guessing. I have not found any measurements for any of the antennae. SPS-10, SPS-49, SATCOM, and others. I have some clearer pictures of the Iowa but don't see it there. I don't see the cone that you describe on the Iowa pictures but I do see it on SPS-49 mounts on other ships. The distance shots I have of the NJ clearly show a mount that is different from that on the Iowa.

                  If anyone has measured drawing of these antennae, I'm looking!

                  Thanks

                  j

                  On the Iowa:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	DN-ST-86-02539 Iowa SPS-49.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	683.1 KB
ID:	1469499
                  A conical mount:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	SPS-49-4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	1469498

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by bigjimslade View Post
                    Thanks much. I actually had the support leading to the antennas but, as so often happens with 3d modeling, I forgot to include those supports.

                    In regard to the SPS-49 mount, big thanks. I am totally guessing. I have not found any measurements for any of the antennae. SPS-10, SPS-49, SATCOM, and others. I have some clearer pictures of the Iowa but don't see it there. I don't see the cone that you describe on the Iowa pictures but I do see it on SPS-49 mounts on other ships. The distance shots I have of the NJ clearly show a mount that is different from that on the Iowa.
                    The parabolic reflector on the an/SPS-49 is 8ft high by 24 Ft long

                    http://www.radartutorial.eu/19.karte...rte002.en.html

                    The site has a drop down menu for other radar systems
                    Human Scum. Proud Never Trumper

                    Comment


                    • On some of the plans I drew for re-assembling the upper mast of the Iowa, I may have some dimensions I can pass on to you. Things have been pretty rough around here (medically) it may take me some time to dig them up and send them to you.
                      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

                      Comment


                      • Hey Gunny...eff you, Jarhead.

                        High Angle Hell!!!
                        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                        Mark Twain

                        Comment


                        • This is a work in progress. I included more of the parts I had built. I did not update the antenna mount as I am looking for references.

                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 8.39.59 PM.png
Views:	2
Size:	971.1 KB
ID:	1469505
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 8.39.19 PM.png
Views:	2
Size:	529.0 KB
ID:	1469506

                          Comment


                          • BigJimSlade -

                            Rusty emailed me the drawings he mentioned above that probably he meant to send to you - NO PROBLEM!!! I am posting these below as .pdfs:
                            IOWA Mast_1.pdfIOWA Mast_2.pdfIOWA Mast_3.pdfIOWA Mast_4.pdfIOWA Mast_5.pdf. Hope these help with your model. So far, it looks really good!!!

                            Hank Strub

                            Comment


                            • Thanks to you and Rusty!

                              Comment


                              • That's why I love this place.
                                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                                Mark Twain

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X