Latest on IOWA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken_NJ View Post
    Oh absolutely! I have enough of an issue going on the roof of my house, never mind thinking of going up on something as high as Herman the German. Especially being up that high and having to do some work on something! No way! Heights, no no.
    Don't forget, at that time I was only 22 years old, a tad over half a century ago. I'm very doubtful that I could do it again. But then, if you are willing to spend a whole day watching me (most of the time catching my breath and rubbing out muscle cramps) I would like to do that just one more time.

Oh oh. I think I just gave away an item on my "bucket list".
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Oh yeah. I heard about that.

Comment

I think the Los Angeles/San Pedro area is very interested in having a Battleship here. The link is Sunday's Holiday Spirit San Pedro Parade. You can pretty well guess what (not who) the Grand Marshall is.

YouTube - Holiday Spirit of San Pedro Day

Oh yeah, if you look closely you will see this Rusty Battleship and Dreanaught's Helper in it as well. The "Devil Dog" to my left was in the ship's original crew in WW II and was aboard her when she sailed into Tokyo Bay with the Missouri in 1945 for a very special occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
          I think the Los Angeles/San Pedro area is very interested in having a Battleship here. The link is Sunday's Holiday Spirit San Pedro Parade. You can pretty well guess what (not who) the Grand Marshall is.

YouTube - Holiday Spirit of San Pedro Day

Oh yeah, if you look closely you will see this Rusty Battleship and Dreanaught's Helper in it as well. The "Devil Dog" to my left was in the ship's original crew in WW II and was aboard her when she sailed into Tokyo Bay with the Missouri in 1945 for a very special occasion.

Comment

Yea That is me in my Christmas red shirt

Comment

Any news lately?

Comment

A lot of meetings, planning work is continuing,

The main thing going on right now is the process that the Navy goes through, is still moving forward.

Comment

Great news! Count me in as a supporter.

Comment

Originally posted by DreadnaughtHelper View Post
                    A lot of meetings, planning work is continuing,

The main thing going on right now is the process that the Navy goes through, is still moving forward.
                    I have time to volunteer....keep me in mind.

Comment

Both the City of Los Angeles, the County of Los Angeles and surrounding cities in and around Los Angeles Harbor have approved getting the Iowa into San Pedro. Also the Harbor Commission has already awarded us a berth in the Main channel.

Now for the latest news from the State of California:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

April 12, 2011

Assembly Joint Resolution 8 (Furutani-Lowenthal) Unanimously Passes First Committee

Bolsters Efforts to Bring USS Iowa to San Pedro

(Sacramento, CA) Assembly Joint Resolution 8, supporting community efforts to bring the USS Iowa to San Pedro, passed the Assembly Committee on Arts, Entertainment, Sports, Tourism and Internet Media today. The vote was 9-0.

“The passage of this resolution will be a strong statement that the California State Legislature supports community efforts to bring the USS Iowa to San Pedro,” said Assemblymember Warren T. Furutani. “San Pedro is the perfect home for this historic battleship where we hope it will one day serve as a museum for all to enjoy.”

The United States Navy is expected to make their final decision by the summer so the passage of AJR 8 will further boost the strong case for San Pedro.

AJR 8 now heads for a full vote of the California State Assembly within the next two weeks.

Assemblymember Warren T. Furutani (D-South Los Angeles County) represents the 55th Assembly District, which includes the cities of Carson, Harbor City, the Harbor Gateway, Wilmington and parts of Lakewood and Long Beach.

###

Comment

Well if you need bunker oil I know where there is some. Checking today it appears that the Hornet has half her total capacity or about 3,000 tons. Her center tank is full and her saddle tanks are 1/2 full. Of course we are level in the water and that is because of that bunker oil.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                          Well if you need bunker oil I know where there is some. Checking today it appears that the Hornet has half her total capacity or about 3,000 tons. Her center tank is full and her saddle tanks are 1/2 full. Of course we are level in the water and that is because of that bunker oil.
                          We mucked out, steam cleaned all the fuel tanks, sealed all seams with PolySulfide, changed out pumps, valves and piping to run on Navy Distillate on all four ships.

We also cut out the "S" turns of steam piping that were in the bottoms of the tanks to keep the gooey No.2 "thin" enough to flow.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                            We mucked out, steam cleaned all the fuel tanks, sealed all seams with PolySulfide, changed out pumps, valves and piping to run on Navy Distillate on all four ships.

We also cut out the "S" turns of steam piping that were in the bottoms of the tanks to keep the gooey No.2 "thin" enough to flow.
                            *Rusty, you have a package in the mail to you today.;)
                            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                              *Rusty, you have a package in the mail to you today.;)
                              Do you have enough to share with everyone on the WAB?

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
                                Do you have enough to share with everyone on the WAB?
                                Well ummm yes, yes I do but thats for Rusty to decide...;)
                                Last edited by Dreadnought; 18 Apr 11,, 19:13.
                                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Working...
                                X