Latest on IOWA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michigan_Guy View Post
    I'd love to volunteer time to come out there and do some work on the Iowa. Do they even do that?
    For now, you have to pay your own way. But anyone who volunteers anything is perfectly welcome.

We have some broken deck drain piping (that split open from ice when she was in Rhode Island) that needs replacing. We have to replace most of the wood decking.

Biggest headache is putting the mast back together. Also lots of equipment was left exposed to the weather and needs cleaning, painting or replacement. But it can and will be done come Hades or Tsunami.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Boat View Post
      Hi guys,

Rusty what will you be doing about turret 2? Any plans to repair the insides or will the turret be locked off? Have you seen inside of the turret and if so how bad is it in there?

Thanks.
      The Navy prefers Turret II to be off limits for now. Though it is operable in manual mode, we are not going to do anything to it for now. But we will have tours of Turret I and eventually a "hard hat tour" down to the magazines.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_NJ View Post
        I was a volunteer with the NJ. They used alot of people to scrape and paint the interior among other things. I brought alot of teak wood down to the machine shop that was going to replace sections of the deck. I had a blast helping out.
        Well, if we can ever find your state again when the snow melts, you're welcome to thaw out in Southern California.

Bring your knee pads and hard hat.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post

Bring your knee pads and hard hat.

Comment

We are buried here someplace. I have family someplace north of Sacramento.

Rusty, have any idea if they are using the 5-inch mounts? What could they possibly be using old mounts like those these days?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Ken_NJ; 23 Dec 09,, 05:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_NJ View Post
              We are buried here someplace. I have family someplace north of Sacramento.

Rusty, have any idea if they are using the 5-inch mounts? What could they possibly be using old mounts like those these days?
              Your photo reminds me of one winter in Milwaukee, Wisconsin where some people had to dig tunnels out from their front doors. With that and the thirsty mosquitos in summer is why we are now in California.

As for the 5-inch mounts, I have absolutely no idea if they are being used for anything. That is if they still exist in Crane. But since their shields are 2 1/2 inches thick of STS armor, somebody may want one or two for some type of defense.

Hmmm. I've been thinking of a different decorative item on my front lawn. Naw. Won't work. I couldn't swing the barrels around my wall when grafitti "artists" are shaking their spray cans.

Comment

CBS News ran a 32 second blurb on KCAL-9 news today about the Iowa coming to San Pedro. things are moving faster.

I am seeing negative post on other message boards and comment pages but these are being posted by members of an oposing group...shame on them, they profess to support the saving of the Iowa but they are attacking the group that has the most advanced techinical team, education team and business connections. What is their agenda really???

Comment

Thank God

...she is finally going to go somewhere where she be given the care she needs. Not many know but when Richard Pombo (ex-HR) sponsored the bill to bring the Iowa out to California there was this little clause in the bill. No one thought anything of it as it seemed Stockton wanted her (backed out), a San Francisco group wanted her ( an uphill battle in SF), and finally Vallejo (bankrupt). Although while the Mare Island location would have been nice especially with the dry docks there it would simply be to out of the way which is death for a ship museum. The Pombo restriction was that the ship HAD to stay in California to be a museum. Anywhere else would have needed a bill introduced to change that. I think it is great that San Pedro has stepped up to bring the ship down and for volunteers to get started on her exterior restoration. I'm sure that inside she won't have a mess like this...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Boat View Post
                    Great news.

If this goes ahead, would she be drydocked? If so where?

Would she be put on show in her current state or somewhat reverted back to her WW2 configuration?

Maybe they can fire the engines up and sail her there under her own power. If so I'm booking tickets to LA. Its nice to dream.

Thanks.
                    The National Defense Authorization Act of 2006 that the battleships, Iowa and Wisconsin, must be kept and maintained in a state of readiness should they ever be needed. Specified what needs to be done and that is to maintain her as she is. I don't think this Act has been superseded. Besides returning any ship to WWII configuration would be one hell of an undertaking that literally would require a ship yard. Forget trying to find a cache of 40mm Bofors...:)

Comment

I'm pretty set that when the Iowa is ready to be worked on, I'm going to volunteer time.
                      "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
                      -General George Patton Jr.

Comment

To put the mast back on has got to be easier than putting the mast and large radars back on the Hornet. We simply contacted a heavy equipment operating union and they came down, with equipment, and put it all up for us. They will be contacted when we lift the 15 ton 3in/50cal gun mount below to our port side, opposite side of the pier.
                        Attached Files

Comment

This looks like one of the 3"-50 mounts I saw on a Auxillery ship in Suisun bay a couple of years ago.

Comment

USS DesMoines CA134 had the 3"/50's in her stern gun tubs up until she was scrapped. Always wondered if they pulled them in Brownsville for donation or just gas-axed them.
                            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by DreadnaughtHelper View Post
                              This looks like one of the 3"-50 mounts I saw on a Auxillery ship in Suisun bay a couple of years ago.
                              That is the USS Tulare and she still has all her 3"-50's on board. All but one have had the barrels cut off and laid on the deck. We have gotten the go ahead from Bremerton to take two of the guns. Sometime early next year we will have a tug push our barge up to Suisun for the gun. We will coordinate with a crane company for them to stop by as they make their usual transit up and down to lift the guns and place on the barge. This move will be filmed as the Tulare Association wants to see the whole thing. I will tell our camera man, from the USS Holland, to put it up on YouTube when ready. There are at least two other ships up there with the same guns in place. Those happen to be enclosed unlike the Tulare. Those would be the LSD Thomaston, Monticello and Point Defiance.

Below uncovered Tulare gun and then enclosed gun on the Thomaston off to the right
                              Attached Files

Comment

Make that three other ships... no edit I see

Comment

Working...
                                X