The New Jersey in Vietnam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Jersey in Vietnam

in Subic bay. the 7th fleet operated out of here. and I spent a lot of time to

we could see her guns firing down the coast at night. providing gunfire support for Army and Marines ashore. looked like lightning flash's then you feel a slight concussion under your keel. she also helped level the port city of Hai Phong. but it cost about a million bucks a day to keep her operational.

normal weather for the Tonkin Gulf

My Mother bought me a New Jersey but I never got to wear in Combat.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
      My Mother bought me a New Jersey but I never got to wear in Combat.
      a NJ what??? coat/hat or battleship???

Comment

Way back in the UK a Jersey was a 'Jumper'. I was testing out your sense of humour.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
          Way back in the UK a Jersey was a 'Jumper'. I was testing out your sense of humour.
          not to worry mate i got one

Comment

Originally posted by namvet46 View Post
            she also helped level the port city of Hai Phong.
            Dunno where you heard that, but it's just plain wrong.

The New Jersey was restricted against firing on anything north of the 19th parallel, later the 17th parallel.

And the best of my knowledge she never fired on any kind of city. Her role was direct gunfire support and interdiction.
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
              Dunno where you heard that, but it's just plain wrong.

The New Jersey was restricted against firing on anything north of the 19th parallel, later the 17th parallel.

And the best of my knowledge she never fired on any kind of city. Her role was direct gunfire support and interdiction.
              Thought that sounded a bit odd.

Haiphong was shelled by the French in '46 & bombed by the US (most spectacularly in '72) and also mined.
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

*The first post is Subic Bay the Phillipines as far as location. But USS New Jersey in that picture was taken after her 1982 refit in Subic Bay. Hence the CIWS systems aboard,new fueling boom and different ECM's atop the mainmast.;)
                Last edited by Dreadnought; 28 Jul 09,, 16:46.
                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                  * that picture was taken after her 1982 refit in Subic Bay.
                  WHAT?

Shame on yourself (or your errant fingertips on the keyboard). Her 1982 modernization was done by Long Beach Naval Shipyard.
                  Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                    WHAT?

Shame on yourself (or your errant fingertips on the keyboard). Her 1982 modernization was done by Long Beach Naval Shipyard.
                    I hear theres a book about that shipyard....;)
                    You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

WHAT?

Oh yeah, Rusty! And just how would YOU know?!:)):))
                      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                      Mark Twain

Comment

WHAT?

*Perhaps you misunderstood me Mr. L. I am fully aware where and when she was refitted for the reactivation. What I was trying to relate is that she was already refitted (in Long Beach) when that picture was taken in Subic Bay (the pics location). Ergo the CIWS, fueling boom and ECMs readily visible.

I made the post against the starting post that claimed the picture was taken during her 68/69 Vietnam Tour in Subic Bay.
                        Last edited by Dreadnought; 28 Jul 09,, 20:13.

Comment

Hello everyone. Regarding the Big J's service in Vietnam, I think we can agree that she was forced into retirement due to politics. I remember reading somewhere that during peace negotiations in Paris ('68 or '69?), that the North Vietnamese specifically singled out the battleship New Jersey as "an impediment to peace." Is this statement true? And if so, what political reason could justify removing a weapons platform that obviously struck such fear and respect into the enemy?

Perhaps the North Vietnamese realized that they had absolutely no defense against incoming 16 inch shells and that the New Jersey was effective in her fire support mission. I wonder what damage the New Jersey could have unleashed if she was allowed to venture north and bombard targets of the North Vietnamese coast. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by BBwarrior View Post
                            Hello everyone. Regarding the Big J's service in Vietnam, I think we can agree that she was forced into retirement due to politics. I remember reading somewhere that during peace negotiations in Paris ('68 or '69?), that the North Vietnamese specifically singled out the battleship New Jersey as "an impediment to peace." Is this statement true? And if so, what political reason could justify removing a weapons platform that obviously struck such fear and respect into the enemy?

Perhaps the North Vietnamese realized that they had absolutely no defense against incoming 16 inch shells and that the New Jersey was effective in her fire support mission. I wonder what damage the New Jersey could have unleashed if she was allowed to venture north and bombard targets of the North Vietnamese coast. Thoughts?
                            IMO, From what I have read not only was Capt. J. Edward Snyders crew good to excellent at shore bombardment (certain cases noted especially) but further reading tells me they were just warming up and barring the U.S. Presidents "boundaries" that were put in place in Vietnam, she could have really done some damage had she been released for her second tour and more targets in the North given the green light. We will never know. But we can thank the idiot politicians that put her away after the first tour of duty.

*If we had added her sisters to the gunline on the second tour chances are they would have sued for Peace and perhaps the conflict would have come to a close much sooner and maybe perhaps spared more lives. Our own misgivings. Snyder proclaimed that having her in his command was the high point of his career and everything else was down hill after that although in reality outside having the ship in his command his carrer went much further. A very intelligent man and a well respected and "hands on" kind of man by those that knew him and served under his command. Literally a legend in the battleship community no doubt and the very last time a USN battleship would leave the Philadelphia Naval Yard/Delaware River under her own power and without tugs for guidance. What a traffic stopper she was!;)
                            Last edited by Dreadnought; 28 Jul 09,, 20:27.

Comment

Originally posted by BBwarrior View Post
                              I remember reading somewhere that during peace negotiations in Paris ('68 or '69?), that the North Vietnamese specifically singled out the battleship New Jersey as "an impediment to peace." Is this statement true?
                              I would like to know that myself. I've heard it said many times and I believe it's been attributed to New Jersey's CO J. Edward Snyder, among others.

As for the truth behind it, I'm unsure.

When I get home tonight I'm going to check my copy of Battleship New Jersey by Paul Stillwell and a few other sources.
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                              X