This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by magic-spaceship
    You see what they need to do is turn them into a ride. Like the paddle wheels on the mississipi. Just think you board in the morning and get to cruise around all day - have lunch and maybe have some gambling on board - then at the end they have a live fire demonstration of the 16inches. What better family entertainment can you find?
    Oh man, if I was Bill Gates-wealthy, that is exactly what I would do.

Dick Landgraff once humorously pointed out that the Navy's conditions for a museum ship included prohibitions on significantly altering the ships and reactivated the galleys to serve food to visitors, but by exclusion allows you to reactivate the guns.

Now if only I could figure out how to obtain powder, projectiles and enough 16-inch gunner's mates...
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• They should send the Iowa down to San Diego. I wouldn't want that ungrateful city of San Francisco to have this glorious ship. Hell, we already have the Midway and adding a battleship would be a great addition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Warhawk
        They should send the Iowa down to San Diego. I wouldn't want that ungrateful city of San Francisco to have this glorious ship. Hell, we already have the Midway and adding a battleship would be a great addition.
        Putting Iowa next to Midway would create a powerhouse attraction.
        You'd have my vote [I]and my visit!
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Warhawk
          They should send the Iowa down to San Diego. I wouldn't want that ungrateful city of San Francisco to have this glorious ship. Hell, we already have the Midway and adding a battleship would be a great addition.
          You'd have my vote and my visit!

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter
            Oh man, if I was Bill Gates-wealthy, that is exactly what I would do.

Dick Landgraff once humorously pointed out that the Navy's conditions for a museum ship included prohibitions on significantly altering the ships and reactivated the galleys to serve food to visitors, but by exclusion allows you to reactivate the guns.

Now if only I could figure out how to obtain powder, projectiles and enough 16-inch gunner's mates...

If I were Bill Gates-wealthy, I'd buy one myself for my "yacht" I'm sure there are retired navy guys looking for a good job...

Sail it to the French riviera...never have trouble getting a hotel suite
            Rule 303

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter
              You'd have my vote and my visit!

Nah, too much of a good thing. It would take too long to go through both ships, and be too tiring. Don't think anyone would spend two days there vice hitting Midway one day and seaworld the next.

Gotta keep the kids and wife happy. Dragging them around 2 ships ain't the way.

Comment

• I just hope wherever she goes that they take good care of her and recognize that she's a very proud ship and certainly a treasure. Hey look at the good side we will see BB61 traveling again even if by tow. Should make for some good pictures for the post when she arrives.
                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• "Nah, too much of a good thing. It would take too long to go through both ships, and be too tiring. Don't think anyone would spend two days there vice hitting Midway one day and seaworld the next."

Whereas Penn's Landing in Philly has the USS Olympia(Adm Dewey's flag ship), the USS Guppy(a WWII Gato class fleet sub), and right across the river is the MIGHTY USS New Jersey. They're also accompanied by the tall ship Moshulu.

Seems to work having lots of ships in close proximity here....

Comment

• Land of the fruits and nuts

I wonder if any of those supervisors were awake during history class in school? Had it not been for the Iowa and her sailors the supervisors might well be speaking Japanese today. Any remaining crewmembers from the Iowa should go to Frisco and punch the sissy mary's in the nose!

Comment

• paint it pink....... ;) and i am sure the bathhouse crowd will agree to host it.
                      Taiwan rocks,PRC SUCKS.... :biggrin:

Comment

• When my father who was on Iowa in 1944 finally saw this he just shook his head in disbelief. I guess to them it seemed like betrayal. What can you say to such a whacked out city? I say move the proud ship away from the anti war- gay capital of our country and take her to Long Beach atleast she will be appreciated and treasured by some who seem not to forget how much freedom and rights cost our vets. Unbelievable, I bet there are many other cities that would give anything to display that proud ship with a her noted career.
                        HEY ARNOLD YOU GIRLYMAN ARE YOU HEARING US!
                        Last edited by Dreadnought; 24 Aug 05,, 18:54.
                        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• After the Gulf War the USS Missouri came into Vancouver, British Columbia for people to view her and I got the opportunity to actually go aboard. I stood in the exact spot where the war ended. That was very, very exciting. I suppose that was in 1992 so I would have been 12. My father took me and my friend and his dad as he aquired tickets.

This great event of my young life was the birth of my hippie hating attitude. I've hated Green Peace ever since for example. Before we took a small boat accross the water I was stopped by Green Peace activists and they asked me a bunch of questions about nukes. I've always been a military fan so I knew as more than one would expect from a 12 year old. Anyway, this person was harrassing me and trying to convince me that nukes are eveil and we shouldnt allow a ship that has nukes on it in our port. My reply is that this is a historicle ship and it's a privilage to see her. (not in those words exactly I was 12 after all) I also said I hope they blow up your house.

Not only did they harrass children but the bastards had the nerve to graffitti this ship in the night. They also circled her in the daytime in Zodiak type craft waving f.a.g flags and shouting abuse at the sailors. I was happy when one of them flipped over. Dickheads.

These are the kind of people the world can do without. Oh and this type of tree hugger is also the type of person who will spike tree's with concrete spikes so metal detectors can't find then so that they can cripple or kill some poor bastard who is working to feed a family. My favorite bit is that most of them are Europeans with no concept as to the size of Canada and that we don't clear cut the "Great Bear Rain Forest". When the hell did my mountains start getting called the "Great Bear Rain Forest"? Europeans are idiots I've heard their crap so much it's not even funny. It's too bad that Europe is so wasted on them.
                          Originally posted by GVChamp
                          College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

• Originally posted by magic-spaceship
                            And liberals are always in shock when their patriotism is questioned.
                            Oh I don't question the patriotisim of liberals.

BECAUSE THEY NEVER F***** SHOW ANY!!!

Comment

• If bringing back the Big Battleships it's important to design an entirelly new platform from scratch. I've been scratching away with this plan, if anyone is interested.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/sho...000#post139000

What I would really like, is if everyone could help figure out the tactics step by step. A battleship needs a new doctrine designed for it, and I've been working on it. But theres things I haven't though of. Quite a few.

Comment

• First, you need to clearly define what it will do, and be used for.
                                Then you need a design
                                Then you need to build it
                                Then you need to work it up
                                THEN you develop tactics

Comment

Working...
                                X