Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire on the USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
    Maybe there will be a design study to see if what left of BHR may be converted into an auxiliary such as a command ship, ESB or a sub tender?
    I can't remember the last time the the navy repurposed a ship like that, if they ever did. I'm sure there's some efficient use they could make of her, but that doesn't seem to be a priority.

Comment

The last time, USNS Mercy and Comfort.

A more modest repurposing was USS Ponce.

But the USN appears to be hot to trot to rid itself of boilers, so most likely all of it will be sent to Brownsville for recycling.
      Last edited by surfgun; 18 Jul 20,, 13:17.

Comment

Well we should expect modification to this deal to accelerate LHA-9.
        https://seapowermagazine.org/hii-awa...-amphib-lha-9/

Comment

The last time, USNS Mercy and Comfort.

A more modest repurposing was USS Ponce.

But the USN appears to be hot to trot to rid itself of boilers, so most likely all of it will be sent to Brownsville for recycling.
          The Mercy, Comfort and Ponce were all rebuilt commercial oil hulls. I think the last converted from something else would be the USS Mount McKinley Class C&C ships. They started out as transports. There are of course auxiliaries where this has happened (especially in Brown Water Navy in Vietnam....LSTs as hospital ships, barracks ships, etc) but nothing like a combatant...i.e. the DDs becoming DMSs or APDs we saw World War 2.

Not sure the Navy would want to go through the cost for so little service life left.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            The Mercy, Comfort and Ponce were all rebuilt commercial oil hulls.
            Ponce was an Austin class LPD, LPD-15 to be exact, not a tanker conversion.

Comment

Of course the MLP’s and ESB’s are based off of Alaska Class Tankers, but are powered by gas turbines.

Here is more about former USS Ponce.
              https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...nto-retirement

Comment

Just change her into an IX as a berthing and messing barge. If it was good enough for the USS Constitution, once in her life, this would seem great for another famous old Navy name especially since we don't have the Serapis at the moment.

Sorry John Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisV71 View Post
                  Ponce was an Austin class LPD, LPD-15 to be exact, not a tanker conversion.
                  Well I was thinking of the ESBs. But how is the Ponce's new mission as a ESB a radical departure from her mission as an LPD?
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Well I was thinking of the ESBs. But how is the Ponce's new mission as a ESB a radical departure from her mission as an LPD?
                    She was probably closer to doing the job of the former Inchon (MCS-12) than doing the job of a LPD. Her primary duties were to be closer to a mothership (tender) for the Patrol Craft, Mine Craft and Minesweeping Helicopters in the Persian Gulf region.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisV71 View Post
                      She was probably closer to doing the job of the former Inchon (MCS-12) than doing the job of a LPD. Her primary duties were to be closer to a mothership (tender) for the Patrol Craft, Mine Craft and Minesweeping Helicopters in the Persian Gulf region.
                      Okay...but was hat a wholesale conversion, like a WW 2 destroyer conversion to a destroyer transport or a CL to a CVL?
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Hey, I'm just a grunt who has read a lot. If I am wrong tell me and educate me on what conversions have been done cause I'd love to know.
                        Mark Twain

Comment

Feel free to search open source materials. Some have been posted. One of the highest profile was the fitment of her laser system.
                          Reportedly, a number of interior compartments were reportedly modified with updated crewing and mission modification with emphasis in additional air conditioning.
                          She had a hybrid crewing of civilian/Navy manning.
                          Last edited by surfgun; 23 Jul 20,, 04:12.

Comment

The Ponce was used mostly as an R&D platform, more than as a combatant after her conversion from LPD. That left her like more of a USNS type ship with some Navy crew. As far as BHR is concerned, I suppose she could be repurposed that way, but considering the amount of damage, and resultant expense to repair, I think there are probably some other candidates more suited, like Saipan, despite her age (Ponce was even older).

Comment

Feel free to search open source materials. Some have been posted. One of the highest profile was the fitment of her laser system.
                              Reportedly, a number of interior compartments were reportedly modified with updated crewing and mission modification with emphasis in additional air conditioning.
                              She had a hybrid crewing of civilian/Navy manning.
                              I was aware of that retrofit...been following for years.

But that is not a full on rebuild. Not totally plug & play but pretty close. That is more like the test of the 8 inch/55 caliber test on the USS Hull in the 1970s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8%22/5...er_Mark_71_gun
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by thebard View Post
                                The Ponce was used mostly as an R&D platform, more than as a combatant after her conversion from LPD. That left her like more of a USNS type ship with some Navy crew. As far as BHR is concerned, I suppose she could be repurposed that way, but considering the amount of damage, and resultant expense to repair, I think there are probably some other candidates more suited, like Saipan, despite her age (Ponce was even older).
                                That was kind of the road I was going down...is it worth the costs involved?

US INDOPAC has already taken a 25% hit on the ability to forward deploy the F-35 with BHR damage. I don't think an ESB can fill that gap.

Is it better to put the money for rebuild AND new funding into another America class LHA?

Or do we do as we did in WW 2 and convert a new hull into a capable platform....similar to a CVE or CVL.

Either way, until we know dollar costs of repair its amateur speculation on whether repair and return, repair & repurpose or just replace is the option to follow.
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X