USS Ranger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS Ranger

A couple of years ago the Hornet crew went up to Kitsap to do some parts hunting on board the soon to be scrapped Ranger. I know some pictures went up but disappeared. I actually have somewhere around 50 or so. Lots of sailor art which was all over the ship and I tired to shoot all of it. So I'll post a batch of five each day starting with our arrival at the gate. Carrier beyond the fence line is the Kitty Hawk.
    Attached Files

Fo'c'sle
    Attached Files

Comment

2nd deck which we were not supposed to go below.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks! Awesome photos!

Comment

Ditto! Awesome! Seeing the interior of a ship that served the US for years. And its just tossed away.

Comment

Missed last night...
            Attached Files

Comment

Next up...
              Attached Files

Comment

These are fascinating!!!
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

At the moment Kitty Hawk is on a donation hold as two groups, on the East Coast, would like to get her. North Carolina, next to BB-55, and Pensacola for the connection to Naval Aviation. If not then she would be scrapped. Also apparently there is a pecking order in play now should she be opened for parts retrieval. Unlike Ranger, where five groups were on board at the same time, first call for the Kitty Hawk goes to the Midway Museum. My opinion is that is a bunch of crap. Hornet and Midway don't hunt the same parts for very obvious reasons. Stinks!

Indy wasn't opened for parts as the Navy stripped her clean of all useful equipment so no one got on her. That is useful to the Navy's Fleet as there would be plenty on her the Navy wouldn't need but I sure could. Below Indy leaving. Put her here as they are sister ships.

Comment

Back on schedule
                    Attached Files

Comment

Next...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Late, but another five
                        Attached Files

Comment

Onward...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Sunday night
                            Attached Files

Comment

With reference to the illustration with all the berthing areas, what was worst? Living under the arresting wires or the catapults?

I was never onboard a CVN at sea, but one year I did get to watch the July 4th fireworks display from the deck of the Constellation while she was tied up in San Diego. A Sailor guided myself, my future wife, and some other guests onto one of the deck edge elevators. I told my wife, "Cool, they're going to take us up on the elevator." She was looking around for the elevator when the whole floor began to move!

Comment

Working...
                              X