Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about USN-###... not sure if this is the right board...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by desertswo View Post
    Just like me; I never write in ten words, what I can do in 100. It's just the way we roll! LOL!!
    and I was trained to get things across in a minimum amount of words. Keep the record concise and to the point. Same goes verbally just ask my wife. I answer in one to maybe three words while she gives me chapter and verse. I try to stand there and listen but my damn eyes give it away every time as she goes "there you go rolling your eyes!"

Comment

Hello!

I'm sorry to have been conspicuously absent on my own thread, I was traveling without access to anything for most of the day.

I know a (very little) bit about the SSN, hull numbers and the like just from trying to figure out what the context of the USN-###... from the way it was used I got the feeling that it referred to either a class number from USN Boot Camp/other school, or a deployment identifier of some sort. I'm starting to think they were just throwing obscure references around to hide the fact that they knew nothing.

The specific reference was to "being a part of USN-276" (kinda paraphrasing, trying to recall exactly the convo after a 20 hour day of work/travel is hurting my tiny brain) and there was some conversation about the USS Arthur W Radford (not sure if they're connected).

Comment

Originally posted by crosservice View Post
        Hello!

I'm sorry to have been conspicuously absent on my own thread, I was traveling without access to anything for most of the day.

I know a (very little) bit about the SSN, hull numbers and the like just from trying to figure out what the context of the USN-###... from the way it was used I got the feeling that it referred to either a class number from USN Boot Camp/other school, or a deployment identifier of some sort. I'm starting to think they were just throwing obscure references around to hide the fact that they knew nothing.

The specific reference was to "being a part of USN-276" (kinda paraphrasing, trying to recall exactly the convo after a 20 hour day of work/travel is hurting my tiny brain) and there was some conversation about the USS Arthur W Radford (not sure if they're connected).
        Connected by the USN personnel detailing process perhaps. With what you've provided now, I suspect that USN-276 refers to either the second graduating class from basic training, or "boot camp" as it is commonly known, for the calendar (as opposed to fiscal) year 1976, or a class that graduated in February of 1976. I, for example, was a graduate of Officer Candidate School (OCS) class 79001; the first USN OCS class to graduate that calendar year. As regards USS Arthur W. Radford (DD 968), she was commissioned in April of 1977. A young man graduating from boot camp in the first months of 1976 would be perfectly placed for assignment to the pre-commissioning crew of Arthur W. Radford, as one year out from commissioning is about the time when the population of the "pre-com crew" starts increasing from the handful it initially was, to the full complement that will "bring the ship to life" on commissioning day. That, I would wager, is your connection.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
          and I was trained to get things across in a minimum amount of words. Keep the record concise and to the point. Same goes verbally just ask my wife. I answer in one to maybe three words while she gives me chapter and verse. I try to stand there and listen but my damn eyes give it away every time as she goes "there you go rolling your eyes!"
          I go into my "track while scan" mode in which I am able to answer "Yes," "No," or "Huh hah," as required, with absolutely no knowledge of whatever she was saying.

Comment

Wow, you're involved, Sir. Mine reduced to 'uhum'
            We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

Even you're involved as I just nod my head while making sure to keep my hands in my pocket. You see if I don't then they will instinctively start that rolling motion, as in can we move this along, at which point the fireworks really start. Filipinas can talk up a storm... foolish me!

Comment

Even you're involved as I just nod my head while making sure to keep my hands in my pocket. You see if I don't then they will instinctively start that rolling motion, as in can we move this along, at which point the fireworks really start. Filipinas can talk up a storm... foolish me!
                So long as she doesn't whip off her tsinelas and hit you over the head with one. Like so . . .

Comment

Connected by the USN personnel detailing process perhaps. With what you've provided now, I suspect that USN-276 refers to either the second graduating class from basic training, or "boot camp" as it is commonly known, for the calendar (as opposed to fiscal) year 1976, or a class that graduated in February of 1976. I, for example, was a graduate of Officer Candidate School (OCS) class 79001; the first USN OCS class to graduate that calendar year. As regards USS Arthur W. Radford (DD 968), she was commissioned in April of 1977. A young man graduating from boot camp in the first months of 1976 would be perfectly placed for assignment to the pre-commissioning crew of Arthur W. Radford, as one year out from commissioning is about the time when the population of the "pre-com crew" starts increasing from the handful it initially was, to the full complement that will "bring the ship to life" on commissioning day. That, I would wager, is your connection.
                  This is great! And as it would turn out verifiably correct! I happened to have an opportunity to see one of the people who were having this mystery convo, asked the question and got more or less this answer. You win!

Comment

Originally posted by crosservice View Post
                    This is great! And as it would turn out verifiably correct! I happened to have an opportunity to see one of the people who were having this mystery convo, asked the question and got more or less this answer. You win!
                    Glad to help.

Comment

Try being a normal human whose hearing has been "dampened" a bit from gunfire (Riveting guns, M-1 Garands & 76mm tank rounds) trying to understand a woman who is talking at "passing speed" from two rooms away with a slightly combined Hungarian and Spanish accent.

To explain the double accent: She was born in Kaposvar, Hungary but at the age of 10 had to duck a lot of bullets to get out of her home country when their 1956 Revolution collapsed. Her mother, brother and she went to Caracas, Venezuela and were "stuck" there for eight years. So she speaks both languages fluently.

Odd thing is, she left her country because of a revolution. They arrived in Venezuela several months later during a revolution. When they finally landed in Los Angeles it was in the middle of the Watts Riots. So I've told them not to move anymore as WW III might just follow them.
                      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Just like me; I never write in ten words, what I can do in 100. It's just the way we roll! LOL!!
                        sounds like you've written MORE than your fair share of evaluations and fitreps in the past.. "how to fill in as much space as I can, on this POS's fitrep, so he'll move on and no longer be my problem child"

Comment

So long as she doesn't whip off her tsinelas and hit you over the head with one. Like so . . .

Funny, but being older and respected I don't have to worry. On the other hand our 6 year old boy has met the slipper once or twice from Mommy...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X