Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HMS Queen Elizabeth christened

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HMS Queen Elizabeth christened

    The largest warship ever built in the UK has been officially named at a ceremony attended by the Queen, Prime Minister David Cameron and First Minister Alex Salmond.
    The 65,000-tonne Royal Navy aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth was formally christened during an event at the Rosyth Dockyard in Fife, where the ship was assembled and fitted out.
    The Queen said: "In sponsoring this new aircraft carrier I believe that Queen Elizabeth, as flagship for the Royal Navy, will be a source of inspiration and pride for us all.
    "The Lord High Admiral, the Duke of Edinburgh, joins me in congratulating all those involved in the Aircraft Carrier Alliance on this magnificent achievement, and wishing her first ship's company well in the time ahead.
    "Wherever this ship may serve, whatever tasks may be asked of her, let all those who serve on her know that on this day she was blessed with the prayers of us all for her success and for her safe return to calm waters.
    "I name this ship Queen Elizabeth, may god bless her and all who sail in her."
    The Queen then pressed a button to release the whisky, which successfully smashed on the ship's hull.


  • #2
    Whenever i think of the 2.3 billion the ruskies bilked us out of, i can always cheer up myself by saying ya know it cost the UK 10 bil USD+ for the QE and they don't even have planes yet.
    For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
      Whenever i think of the 2.3 billion the ruskies bilked us out of, i can always cheer up myself by saying ya know it cost the UK 10 bil USD+ for the QE and they don't even have planes yet.
      Rubbish of course we have , 5 sopwith camels , 4 gloster gladiators , 6 typhoons somewhere , no sea harriers , a lancaster hurricane and spitfire , :whome: apart from that , its a lovely big ship .
      Attached Files
      Last edited by tankie; 05 Jul 14,, 19:18.

      Comment


      • #4
        Seems like it might have been a waste of whiskey, though.....
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

        Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
          Seems like it might have been a waste of whiskey, though.....
          I wondered about that , why the break in tradition from champers , unless of course its a snub to the frogs , and the tub was christened in Scotland , so maybe trying to convince and appease salmond not to leave the UK .
          Last edited by tankie; 05 Jul 14,, 20:12.

          Comment


          • #6
            Perhaps, the Royal Navy can get the USMC to embark some AV-8B's, prior to getting a squadron of Royal Navy F-35B's worked up?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tankie View Post
              Rubbish of course we have , 5 sopwith camels , 4 gloster gladiators , 6 typhoons somewhere , no sea harriers , a lancaster hurricane and spitfire , :whome: apart from that , its a lovely big ship [ATTACH]37306[/ATTACH].
              Come on now you must have a Swordfish or two left over from your go at the Bismark?

              Comment


              • #8
                Is this officially the world's largest helicopter carrier? ;)
                sigpic

                Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

                Comment


                • #9
                  Never mind all that! The Brits have a machine that destroys whisky !!? This throws the world right out of balance!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
                    Never mind all that! The Brits have a machine that destroys whisky !!? This throws the world right out of balance!
                    Tankie is on probation and Scotland might get independent soon. Order will get restored
                    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

                    To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      A lovely ship I 'm sure with the Union Jack and all that hip hip ....

                      Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                      Is this officially the world's largest helicopter carrier? ;)
                      It will be interesting to watch this $10B [ is that pounds sterling or dollars ] investment and the role she'll play on the world stage in the years ahead.
                      Fair winds and smooth waters as she shows the flag to the colonies and elsewhere...... :tankie: ( oh yes, Brace the mainmast ) ;)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                        Come on now you must have a Swordfish or two left over from your go at the Bismark?
                        All that timber (sorry canvas) should give off a tiny radar silhouette. A little bit of marketing and Britain has a new 'stealth' maritime strike platform to match the F-35. And it doesn't catch fire or get grounded as often! :)
                        Last edited by Monash; 06 Jul 14,, 04:40.
                        If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Monash View Post
                          All that timber should give off a tiny radar silhouette. A little bit of marketing and Britain has a new 'stealth' maritime strike platform to match the F-35. And it doesn't catch fire or get grounded as often! :)
                          As a plus it has better maneuverability. I guess.
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

                          To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You lot are just pissed because HMQ has a new yacht aintchyaz , how dya like them apples huh

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hey the USMC has a new toy!!!!!

                              And they serve booze.
                              Human Scum. Proud Never Trumper

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X