USS Enterprise CVN-80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS Enterprise CVN-80

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) - Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus announced Saturday via video message at the USS Enterprise inactivation ceremony that the third Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carrier will be named Enterprise.

Mabus selected this name to honor USS Enterprise, the Navy's first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, which was inactivated today in Norfolk.

the only problem with that photo, the "80" is backwards.. you should read it as 80 from the stern of the ship, not from the bow.

Comment

Originally posted by dundonrl View Post
      Mabus selected this name to honor USS Enterprise, the Navy's first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, which was inactivated today in Norfolk.
      Isn't that a bit... restricted? Hell, he could at least have named CV-6 instead of CVN-65. Or the history of the USS Enterprise name. Of the 216 years of the armed US Navy, there was an active Enterprise in it over 60% of the time.

Comment

Expand ??...

I am not following your thought Kato..... :confu:
        Could you expand on the comment about CV-6 ENterprise v CVN ?

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
          I am not following your thought Kato..... :confu:
          Could you expand on the comment about CV-6 ENterprise v CVN ?
          I believe he means "Why isn't CVN-80 being named in honor of CV-6, in addition to CVN-65"?

I could be wrong but I think that a ship's namesake (more or less) reflects/honors the previous holder of the name, whether a person or another ship.

Or I'm merely talking out of my ass.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
            Isn't that a bit... restricted? Hell, he could at least have named CV-6 instead of CVN-65. Or the history of the USS Enterprise name. Of the 216 years of the armed US Navy, there was an active Enterprise in it over 60% of the time.
            Well at least I understand you completely and right on!

Comment

I firmly believe that those that will serve on the ship will know the legacy of every single USS Enterprise in history, not just CVN-65.
              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Than let's get it out on the table....

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                I believe he means "Why isn't CVN-80 being named in honor of CV-6, in addition to CVN-65"?

I could be wrong but I think that a ship's namesake (more or less) reflects/honors the previous holder of the name, whether a person or another ship.

Or I'm merely talking out of my ass.
                TY, the picture is much clearer, :matrix:

Let's Honor all Ship's named Enterprise and served proudly on the seven seas!

1775 Sloop of war
                1776 Schooner
                1779 Schooner
                1831 Barque Rigged Schooner w/ screw
                1917 SP-790 Motor Patrol boat
                1938 Yorktown class carrier
                1961 Enterprise class carrier
                2025 (?) Gerald Ford class carrier

(I hope this doesn't offend the "Trekies" lurking outside of sensor range! :mocan:

Respect is due NASA, too.
                Last edited by blidgepump; 03 Feb 13,, 16:34.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                  I firmly believe that those that will serve on the ship will know the legacy of every single USS Enterprise in history, not just CVN-65.
                  They'll undoubtedly have a small museum on board dedicated to the ship's heritage.
                  If I'm not mistaken, every warship has something to that effect.
                  “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

ahhhhhh one more addition to this.
                    Attached Files
                    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

I'm sorry, but this:

doesn't seem even half as badass as either of these:

Attached Files
                      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

“the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

I guess it's kinda like shopping at Sam's club. Always cheaper to buy in bulk....

https://news.usni.org/2017/12/19/cvn...buy#more-30095

Comment

Working...
                          X