No announcement yet.

CVN-78 Gerald W Ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is no doubt this vessel is an improvement, but in terms of mission, does it do its job significantly better than the other carriers? Sortie figures might be a little higher. etc

This carrier makes a fine replacement, but I think carriers now a days are getting pretty vulnerable.

Comment

• NEWPORT NEWS, Va. -- Huntington Ingalls Industries’ Newport News Shipbuilding (NNS) division launched Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78) into the James River for the first time on Nov. 17, the company said in a Nov. 19 release. The first-of-class aircraft carrier was moved to the shipyard’s Pier 3, where it will undergo additional outfitting and testing for the next 28 months.

Gerald R. Ford has been under construction in Dry Dock 12 since November 2009 and was moved about one mile south to the shipyard’s Pier 3 with the assistance of six tugboats. The ship will be moored at Pier 3 to complete outfitting and testing. Habitability spaces, such as berthing and mess areas, will be completed, and distributive, mechanical and combat systems, such as catapults and radar arrays, will be tested. The ship is scheduled for delivery to the U.S. Navy in 2016.

“The ship’s launch is always significant for her shipbuilders,” said NNS Rolf Bartschi, NNS’ vice president of CVN 78 carrier construction, “but I think it’s an extra special experience this time because of Ford’s unique qualities as the first ship of the class, and thanks to the close relationship shipbuilders have developed with CVN 78’s sponsor, Susan Ford Bales. This milestone provides an opportunity for the shipbuilding team to reflect on all of the hard work that has been accomplished to ready the ship for launch, and I could not be more proud of our shipbuilding team.”
      SEAPOWER Magazine Online

Comment

• Simple carrier grew......

Originally posted by winton View Post
        There is no doubt this vessel is an improvement, but in terms of mission, does it do its job significantly better than the other carriers? Sortie figures might be a little higher. etc

This carrier makes a fine replacement, but I think carriers now a days are getting pretty vulnerable.
        Local kid from the great plains likes massive equipment but.....
        When I follow the submittals of the new carrier I think back to the VW Beetle.
        It started out as a straight forward mechanical device to serve a purpose and was field modified to fits many roles.
        Then the folks wanted to improve and brought forth the Super Beetle. Okay defrosters were a nice addition but the problems multiplied with the complex systems.

So do we need to rethink the super carriers and design better planes to operate from a "simple carrier"?
        Stalin may of got it correct. Simple with functional capabilities.
        Anyway, I support your thinking that Super Carriers may be to large of an asset>

Comment

• Originally posted by winton View Post
          There is no doubt this vessel is an improvement, but in terms of mission, does it do its job significantly better than the other carriers? Sortie figures might be a little higher. etc
          Didn't bother to read the thread again did you.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Wonder if she will be fitted with this system?
            Navy Develops Torpedo Killing Torpedo | USNI News

Comment

• Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
              Local kid from the great plains likes massive equipment but.....
              When I follow the submittals of the new carrier I think back to the VW Beetle.
              It started out as a straight forward mechanical device to serve a purpose and was field modified to fits many roles.
              Then the folks wanted to improve and brought forth the Super Beetle. Okay defrosters were a nice addition but the problems multiplied with the complex systems.

So do we need to rethink the super carriers and design better planes to operate from a "simple carrier"?
              Stalin may of got it correct. Simple with functional capabilities.
              Anyway, I support your thinking that Super Carriers may be to large of an asset>
              Meanwhile, they never did lick that problem with Number Three Piston overheating and burning rings or worse. I dropped two rebuilt engines into my '69 Bug. On the other hand, I was the guy that rebuilt those engines. One could be a complete, booger-eating moron and do a valve adjustment on one of those things. I finally put a non-stock lube oil cooler in and the overheating problem went away, which kind of begs the question: "Why didn't Volkswagen themselves make that fix instead of allowing some build those coolers in his garage and sell them?" Oh yeah, and I still wish I had that car. I sold it when I bought the original model year '79 Mazda Rx-7 way back when. I still wish I had that too.

Comment

• kindred spirit....

Originally posted by desertswo View Post
                Meanwhile, they never did lick that problem with Number Three Piston overheating and burning rings or worse. I dropped two rebuilt engines into my '69 Bug. On the other hand, I was the guy that rebuilt those engines. One could be a complete, booger-eating moron and do a valve adjustment on one of those things. I finally put a non-stock lube oil cooler in and the overheating problem went away, which kind of begs the question: "Why didn't Volkswagen themselves make that fix instead of allowing some build those coolers in his garage and sell them?" Oh yeah, and I still wish I had that car. I sold it when I bought the original model year '79 Mazda Rx-7 way back when. I still wish I had that too.
                I understand.

Mine was '68 Royal Red Bug.

As long as I had a barb wire fence and a pair of pliers I could get home.

Running the overhead was just a normal thing. It was those two (2) short rubber gaskets between the oil cooler and the block that got hard and leaked which provided enhanced skills.
                The book talked about dropping the engine to R&R the gaskets. BS. Pull the engine hood and work the cooler shroud out. But that special Snap-On 10mm swivel wrench was a life saver.
                I still have that wrench. It was the most expensive tool in my box.

The throttle cable broke once. No prob. Barb wire fence. Cut the wire without the barb. Make yourself a hand throttle outside the car. Be sure to wrap the wire with old t-shirt to not damage the 10-pounds of VW royal red paint..... Wish I had that car back, too.

But then again I was a sucker for the Essex styled carrier.
                Last edited by blidgepump; 20 Nov 13,, 14:35.

Comment

• Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
                  I understand.

Mine was '68 Royal Red Bug.

As long as I had a barb wire fence and a pair of pliers I could get home.

Running the overhead was just a normal thing. It was those two (2) short rubber gaskets between the oil cooler and the block that got hard and leaked which provided enhanced skills.
                  The book talked about dropping the engine to R&R the gaskets. BS. Pull the engine hood and work the cooler shroud out. But that special Snap-On 10mm swivel wrench was a life saver.
                  I still have that wrench. It was the most expensive tool in my box.

The throttle cable broke once. No prob. Barb wire fence. Cut the wire without the barb. Make yourself a hand throttle outside the car. Be sure to wrap the wire with old t-shirt to not damage the 10-pounds of VW royal red paint..... Wish I had that car back, too.

But then again I was a sucker for the Essex styled carrier.
                  Now if this isn't redneck engineering then I don't know what is...:wors:

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                    Now if this isn't redneck engineering then I don't know what is...:wors:
                    Same talk over lawnmower ;)
                    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• In the water and on the move, heading for her final construction and outfitting.

Attached Files
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by winton View Post

From the Navy.....

Advanced design work on the next-generation carrier is underway at Northrop Grumman Newport News. Key changes from previous carriers include: a sortie rate increased by 25% thanks to an enhanced flight deck layout, with improved weapons movement and "pit stops" to fuel and arm aircraft, a redesigned and relocated island, three (instead of four) faster and more powerful elevators, Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS, instead of steam catapults) and an Advanced Aircraft Recovery System (AARS); a new nuclear power plant; a new combat system; allowance for future technologies and reduced manning in the future.

The carriers are not that vulnerable, who is going to attack them without atleast a forethought of the retaliation that follows?;)
                        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• What is the forum's take on this dated article from 1999? Be warned that she may be biased since she worked for the Air Force and the Air Force and Navy have been butting head over allocation of resources.

The Carrier Myth

Comment

• Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                            What is the forum's take on this dated article from 1999? Be warned that she may be biased since she worked for the Air Force and the Air Force and Navy have been butting head over allocation of resources.

The Carrier Myth
                            Well, heres a few things I can see in the article, You are correct that she is a bit slanted on the "stealth" but just off the top of my head the new Carrier stealth (X-47B) would pretty much put her out of a job anyway as a pilot plus you would also take the possible human part (POW) out all together which would be a bonus feature if you think about it in a political fashion. But in any case the CVN's also carry 0 policital ramification from a host countries airbase and is not subject to their boundaries, they are boundless in many cases for sea or land strike if the phone rings and is still one of the "choice" weapons of POTUS because of the Marine teams they also carry outside the airwings. Dropping bombs and flyovers cant put boots immediately on the ground if it needed to be. They can.

The reason for the CVN rotation is that only one is on "hot status" (in-port maintenance being done crew leave etc but still in most cases ready to go if needed except if mid life or last refueling) the rest are patrolling, exercising, one is foreward deployed at all times to Japan. So basically right now you have 11 CVN's and Ford finishing up but you will also start to have the Nimitz class retire in the next 5 years as their "official" time is up.

You are also correct that Air Force and Navy dont meet eye to eye. Only Naval and Marine aviators fly off the CVN's, LPD's etc, but I suppose it happens in some cases. Funding wars over who needs who more.

Not to mention the fact that in some cases there are no US airbases close by such as in the African continent etc.
                            The CVN's can launch as many planes and support as needed within a small time frame. Land based launches in some cases would require fueling tankers to launch etc and in many cases have to travel further on the return to rearm.

The only ones that can really compete with them these days in long distance travel are indeed the stealths but the repetivenesss is not there where it may be required.

The article also does not much mention the utility of the CVN as far as mass aid to disaster areas etc are concerned.

And with the last thread that raised the question if the carriers are still a feasable way to go, you have had three more nations (India, China and Japan) build, launch and in one case (China) deploy them. Along with Russia's ambitions to build carrier fleets.

That in itself should tell anyone that the days of the carriers are not numbered by US standards.
                            Last edited by Dreadnought; 03 Dec 13,, 15:13.
                            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                              From the Navy.....

Advanced design work on the next-generation carrier is underway at Northrop Grumman Newport News. Key changes from previous carriers include: a sortie rate increased by 25% thanks to an enhanced flight deck layout, with improved weapons movement and "pit stops" to fuel and arm aircraft, a redesigned and relocated island, three (instead of four) faster and more powerful elevators, Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS, instead of steam catapults) and an Advanced Aircraft Recovery System (AARS); a new nuclear power plant; a new combat system; allowance for future technologies and reduced manning in the future.

The carriers are not that vulnerable, who is going to attack them without atleast a forethought of the retaliation that follows?;)
                              Not to mention, taking that old saying "the crooks are one step ahead of the police", U.S carrier evolution is one step or more ahead of the competition out there.

Comment

• New Carrier Plagued by Problems in Test Phase
                                11 January 2014 --- Stars and Stripes

Washington — The U.S. Navy's newest aircraft carrier, a multibillion-dollar behemoth that is the first in a next generation of carriers, is beset with performance problems, even failing tests of its ability to launch and recover combat jets, according to an internal assessment by the Pentagon obtained by the Boston Globe.

The Globe reported Friday that early tests are raising worries that the USS Gerald R. Ford, christened in November, may not meet the Navy's goal of significantly increasing the number of warplanes it can quickly launch — and could even be less effective than older vessels. The carrier is undergoing testing at a Virginia shipyard and is scheduled for delivery in 2016, with a price tag estimated at more than $12 billion.

At least four crucial components being installed are at risk because of their poor or unknown reliability, states the 30-page testing assessment, which was delivered last month to Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel and other top Pentagon leaders.

these critical systems could cause a cascading series of delays during flight operations that would affect [the ship's] ability to generate sorties, make the ship more vulnerable to attack, or create limitations during routine operations," the Globe reports.

A number of other systems, such as communications gear, meanwhile, are performing at less than acceptable standards, according to the assessment by J. Michael Gilmore, the Pentagon's director of operational test and evaluation. Gilmore concluded that the Navy has little choice but to redesign key components of the ship.

Rear Adm. Thomas J. Moore, the program executive officer for aircraft carriers, defended the progress of the ship in an interview and expressed confidence that, in the two years before delivery, the Navy and its contractors will overcome what he acknowledged are multiple hurdles.

"With these new technologies comes a lot of developmental challenges," Moore, an MIT-trained nuclear engineer, told the Globe. The ship has had its share of critics in the past. The Government Accountability Office, the investigative arm of Congress, found last year that costs had risen 22 percent from original predictions, and recommended delaying construction of a second, the USS John F. Kennedy, until the Navy and its contractors have a better handle on a series of untried technologies.

A third vessel in the new ship class, the USS Enterprise, is in the works, and the Navy could buy up to eight more.

Comment

Working...
                                X