No announcement yet.

USS Hornet blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I see that 3-inch mount and see just so much that could break!

How reliable were they?
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
      I see that 3-inch mount and see just so much that could break!

How reliable were they?
      Well, we used ours quite effectively against NVN watercraft in 67-68. But, they are high maintenance and parts tended to fly here & there!!! Was on DD-566 and we had (3) dual mounts (3"/50).

Comment

• Some more of the 3 inch along with the 3/50cal next to it.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Better coating system ....

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
          Some more of the 3 inch along with the 3/50cal next to it.
          Some effort has been applied to that 3-inch mount ...

Comment

• The 4th was definitely eventful. First we had the Coast Guard here with a buoy tender, patrol craft and a helo. From what I heard when the buoy tender came in and made the turn to get next to the pier it hit a bladder, which hit a barge next to the wood pilings, and so smashed some of the pilings. Oops!

All the typical activities that were always on the flight deck were now on the pier. The bands were up on the flight deck but I got the impression there weren't going to be many people paying admission and coming aboard for the evening. Meanwhile, with my wife and son on the pier partaking, I couldn't stand around and so decided to sweep up the forward port gun sponson. That took an 1 1/2 hours to do. Deposited the tools in the Admiral's at Sea Cabin and went up to Nav Bridge. See Alan sitting in the Captain's chair and kid him about being a carrier commander as he flew in Vietnam and has over 400 traps from what I can tell. One of our other former pilots, Wllie who flew the F-8 in Vietnam and managed to make friends with a SAM, was on the flight deck talking to this bartender. Seems she was up from Los Angeles and was riding around our parade float in the morning. Another docent notice and suggested Willie ask her aboard. He did and she did. He then asked her aboard the carrier for the day. Quite the age difference and boy can Navy pilots get graphic at times discussing it.

I left and went down to the machine shop and no sooner did I get there but the ship lost power. Bam, pitch black and without my flashlight. At least I know my way out but the guests on 2nd deck were surprised. There are key emergency lights in passageways. Anyway the power went out in the north half of Alameda and was out for almost two hours. Yet, when it came back on all the piers were still down. Apparently something about resetting a circuit breaker in another two hours. Meanwhile, all the MARAD ships powered up their diesel generators. Unfortunately the Hornet had to cancel it's events at 1800 hours and send everybody on the pier, the ship was evacuated, home.
            Attached Files

Comment

• TBM3Fan:

Thanks for the 3"/50 dual mount photos - good shots and lots of detail! Sorry about the USCG mishap...seems like a lot of that is going on today throughout the military. Sometimes, it just seems like you can't get good help these days!

Hank

Comment

• Originally posted by bbvet View Post
                TBM3Fan:

Thanks for the 3"/50 dual mount photos - good shots and lots of detail! Sorry about the USCG mishap...seems like a lot of that is going on today throughout the military. Sometimes, it just seems like you can't get good help these days!

Hank
                Oops. I swear it wasn't me.

Comment

• Hey, I was surprised to see a ship that size in there. Usually you only see a small patrol craft sail down between the Hornet and the Keystone State. Either that or Power Engineering's barge or rarely a ferry.

Comment

• Good stuff as usual
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• A few months ago I showed some pictures where we were trying to repair the compressor that enables us to move oil from one tank to another for running L1. Well sorry to learn that despite what we did the compressor still leaked water internally and it was decided to get a new one and mount it one deck above as shown here. This is the picture of it as I walked past and noticed it for the first time. When I saw the guys I asked how it was doing and they told me it failed on the first run when it blew out the emergency relief valve. Ah, what is our warranty on this I asked...?
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Sorry to barge in, but this is what I came through - Rs 75,000 cr deal: Navy carries out simulation trials of new aircraft for INS Vikramaditya, Indigenous Aircraft Carrier

$12 billion deal for 57 aircrafts. My bet is on Rafale. For just 57 jets, Boeing won't start a production line in India, nor will offer significant T-o-T.
                        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Tbm3fan

Looks like a IR compressor. IR has a service center in SF. If less than a year old should be under warranty even if you didn't register it.. Have a IR compressors, had to replace the pressure switch 4X.

Comment

• How about 2-3 months, max...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dazed View Post
                              Tbm3fan

Looks like a IR compressor. IR has a service center in SF. If less than a year old should be under warranty even if you didn't register it.. Have a IR compressors, had to replace the pressure switch 4X.
                              Turns out this compressor was custom made for us as I learned today. I also learned something more disturbing. After the first run where the relief valve blew it turns out someone vandalized the compressor the next weekend. It is on 3rd deck, where visitors are not allowed, and happened on a Saturday. Probable ship member who crushed two lines and damaged the control box. The control box had to be sent out to be rebuilt. Whenever it gets back, and after installation, a locked caged will be going up around this.

Why am I not surprised. We had someone ripping copper wire out of our 6th deck central phone system in the early years. We had someone smash the glass dials in sonar. We have had numerous instances where money has been stolen out of the collection boxes by prying them open. All by volunteers or paid ship's crew.

Comment

• Today several things were going on aboard ship. So I'll do the shorter story as the longer one involves the restored FM-2 Wildcats introduction to the public. The pictures are great.

While I was looking at the plane I noticed work off to the side by the door that closes off L3 from the outside. I knew the door had been damaged, by you guessed it someone not authorized to close it. They went too far which broke three teeth off a large gear, kept on going and damaged the bearings in the motor. A few months ago the Coast Guard got it down from it's perch. All 3000 lbs. of it. When taken apart the bearing issue was noted. So off to get bearings which cost $2000 for four bearings and two races. Also two new gears had to be made which cost $2800. Tom paid for them but rightfully the ship has paid him back since this was not an ordinary wear and tear item that Tom does tend to pay for.

So here the end cap is being put on to seat the large bearing before the motor is painted. It's space above, last picture, has been cleaned and painted. May go back up next weekend if the Coasties show up. They have some really big guys in their group. Once the cap was on it was easy to turn the opposite end which makes untold dozens of turns to make one turn at the opposite end where we were working.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by tbm3fan; 20 Aug 17,, 07:47.

Comment

Working...
                                X