aircraft carrier question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
    Interesting diagram. Looks like a real matrix to me, and if there is one thing I have learned, that is stay away from the matrix. :matrix:
    Originally posted by Doktor View Post
    That's not a matrix.

That's a sewing pattern.
    Ah, but when one is learning thermodynamics and specifically nucleate boiling and the concepts of sensible and latent heat, saturated steam and superheated steam, the Mollier Diagram is the Ensign's best friend. The actual thing is about the size of road map you buy at a service station . . . and then you unfold it and it's about two feet by three and one-half feet. It's a lot easier to read than what I attached there, but you need a table to spread it out on to make use of it. It is indeed a matrix and basically its divided into the realms of saturation temperature and degrees of superheat. You enter the steam pressure on one side and read the equivalent saturation temperature across the top. Where the lines meet is the temperature. There is one, and only one, saturation temperature for each saturation pressure; e.g. 212 degrees Fahrenheit for 14.7PSIA . . . boiling point for potable water at sea level. You raise the pressure, you are going to by necessity raise the temperature at which that water boils. Then there is superheat. You cannot add a degree of superheat if the steam is in contact with the water generating it. You have to remove it to a separate vessel; the "superheater." Once there, one can then start to add more sensible heat to add degrees of superheat. All main propulsion boilers are built around the information found on that Mollier Diagram. It's a beautiful thing. :)

Comment

Working...
    X