RAN's Collins class replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Monash View Post

The Block 4 Virginia or even Block 5 Virginia's would give us much more bang for our bucks than the Astute class.
    I am also a fan of the Virginias because the US has been building & operating large numbers for a long time. Lots of experience, lots of opportunity to work out any problems and lots of people we can access who know stuff. We will also be working more closely with the US and could set up joint facilities in Australia. The Astute is a better boat on paper & may be a better boat in reality, but I think the Virginias have advantages for us.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post

US boat seems more likely than a UK one for practical reasons. I'd be happy with that. Ultimately we will be integrating with the USN more than any other navy, so having regular access to a US boat would be ideal.
      And I know there will be US SSN crews killing each other in order to homeport in Fremantle!
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

• Indeed I favour commonality with the U.S. I also favour vls. Hobart costs 2.6 billion to get 48 vls. I don't know the price difference between a B4/5 Va, I suspect the survivability of the platform is a lot better, a lot more persistent and more numerous etc than just 1 effective Hobart. I don't know what the Hunter (you know the 'frigate' that's heavier than the Hobart) will bring, but I don't trust Canberra in any iteration to bring it with any sense of urgency.
        Ego Numquam

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

And I know there will be US SSN crews killing each other in order to homeport in Fremantle!
          Not as cool as Melbourne, but beats the hell out of Hobart, Dawrin or Adelaide.
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Chunder View Post
            Indeed I favour commonality with the U.S. I also favour vls. Hobart costs 2.6 billion to get 48 vls. I don't know the price difference between a B4/5 Va, I suspect the survivability of the platform is a lot better, a lot more persistent and more numerous etc than just 1 effective Hobart. I don't know what the Hunter (you know the 'frigate' that's heavier than the Hobart) will bring, but I don't trust Canberra in any iteration to bring it with any sense of urgency.
            On paper both programs cost a similar amount for a similar number of hulls. Of course, that is before a single rivet has been made, so who knows what the final costs will be and how many frigates or subs we will end up with. Your point on survivability is well taken, however.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X