Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was unusual about the Japanese ship the Kôtetsu?
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
      What was unusual about the Japanese ship the Kôtetsu?
      A French-built ironclad, originally ordered by American Confederate States' Navy during American Civil War. When she was completed, Confederate States was blockaded by US (Federal) Navy, therefore she could not be handed to CS Navy. Finally, the War was over and CS Navy disappeared. She become to be sold to Japanese Shogunate Navy. When she arrived to Japan, the civil war between Shogun and Emperor has been broken out, both side would like to acquire her. After the war ended with Emperor's victory, she was officially transfered to Japanese 'New' navy and called Kotetsu. This word means 'Armoured', actually, she was an only armoured vessel in Japanese Navy at that time.
      Later she was renamed Azuma, means 'east' or 'eastern area', sometimes 'eastern area in Japan, such as Tokyo or so.

<Cheated Albany please go again.
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Dreadnought

This is what I got from the US Navy Historical Cednter website

Azuma (Ironclad Ram, 1865).
        Named Kôtetsu until 1871
        Azuma, a 1390-ton ironclad ram, was formerly the Confederate Navy ironclad Stonewall. The United States, which took her over after the end of the Civil War, sold the ship to Japan in August 1867. She was delivered to the Japanese Shogun's government in April 1868, then reverted to American ownership and in 1869 was turned over to the forces backing the Japanese Emperor. Under the name Kôtetsu, she took part in the the civil war then raging in Japan and played an important role in the naval battle of Hakodate in June 1869. In 1871, after the victory of the Imperial cause, she was renamed Azuma. The ship remained a part of Japan's combat fleet until January 1888, when she was reduced to harbor service as an accomodation hulk.

This page features all our images of the Japanese ironclad ram Azuma, which was previously CSS Stonewall.

I was looking more for CSS Stonewall

Feel free to take it.

I will be unavailable for most of the weekend...son's birthday and Scout stuff.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

• Since I wont be here either for the weekend I will passs on the question to the former winner.

But I will add this trivia... Believe it or not One of Germanys top WWII Uboat Aces is buried here in the United States after he commitied suicide in a POW camp after being fished from the water when his Uboat was destroyed.

Comment

• It's been at least 24 hours.

What was TK-210?

Comment

• Originally posted by Silent Hunter View Post
              It's been at least 24 hours.

What was TK-210?
              A cancelled Russian Akula (NATO name Typhoon) class submarine.
              "Liberty is a thing beyond all price.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post

But I will add this trivia... Believe it or not One of Germanys top WWII Uboat Aces is buried here in the United States after he commitied suicide in a POW camp after being fished from the water when his Uboat was destroyed.
                Who would that be?Werner Henke?
                When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Tin Man View Post
                  A cancelled Russian Akula (NATO name Typhoon) class submarine.
                  Correct. Your turn.

Comment

• Cheers.

What is this device in the picture?
                    Attached Files

Comment

• At a guess, a landing aid normally installed on ships.
                      Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

• It appears to be a mount for a CIWS system (General Dynamics model). I could be wrong but it has almost the identical mount for the 1980's version for ship mounting (Twin hand/footholds on the side and the Ammunition drum appear identical as well as compass pad disk encircling the bottom of the mount itself).

If it is as Glyn mentions a glide slope indicator (GSI) it has certainly changed since the last version I have seen. Odd that it resembles a CIWS so much.

I still side with an anti aircraft/missle weapons system. They appear way to much alike including the cabinet mount and the Ratheon decal along side.;)
                        Last edited by Dreadnought; 07 Apr 08,, 14:17.

Comment

• Glyn, your pretty cold but Dreadnought, you are very, very warm but miss out exactly what the "box" is. This is crucial in identifying the system.

I am told it is mounted on a Phalanx mount, you would know better than me if this is correct..So, a strange box mounted on a CIWS platform....hmmm.

Happy hunting:)

Comment

Glyn, your pretty cold but Dreadnought, you are very, very warm but miss out exactly what the "box" is. This is crucial in identifying the system.

I am told it is mounted on a Phalanx mount, you would know better than me if this is correct..So, a strange box mounted on a CIWS platform....hmmm.

Hows about a infared CIWS with an auto tracker unit installed underneath. (the smaller cylindrical shaped object underneath) the other larger object is the ammunition drum.
                            Last edited by Dreadnought; 07 Apr 08,, 18:35.

Comment

Glyn, your pretty cold but Dreadnought, you are very, very warm but miss out exactly what the "box" is. This is crucial in identifying the system.

That is most definitely a CIWS Phalanx mount. I've had to design structures to support them on several different classes of ships (including 4 each on all 4 BBs).

Since the mount was designed for rapid traverse and rapid elevation, it would be an ideal base unit for a carbon-dioxide pulse laser. You know, the one that melts down incoming 8" artillery shells. There's a YouTube on it (though the unit they show is circular) but I don't know how to post it.

AHA!. After guessing I found the web site in PDF on it:

http://www.raytheon.com/media/ausa07...heets/lads.pdf

It is a Laser system. Or at least the director.

"Spock! Arm all defense systems. Sulu! Bring Enterprise about for best defense angle. Uhura! Try to make communication contact. Scotty! Need more power. Chekov! Aim weapons. Bones! Get sick bay ready. Nurse Chapel! To my quarters for one more time.
                              Last edited by RustyBattleship; 07 Apr 08,, 18:40.
                              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                                That is most definitely a CIWS Phalanx mount. I've had to design structures to support them on several different classes of ships (including 4 each on all 4 BBs).

Since the mount was designed for rapid traverse and rapid elevation, it would be an ideal base unit for a carbon-dioxide pulse laser. You know, the one that melts down incoming 8" artillery shells. There's a YouTube on it (though the unit they show is circular) but I don't know how to post it.
                                Mr. L. a question. No doubt in my mind a CIWS mount but if it was a pulse laser type why the drum underneath still mounted?

Comment

Working...
                                X