No announcement yet.

ghost fleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now, I can't pretend to know anything about bankruptcy law, but isn't the point of chapter 11 to stay operating and pay off the business' creditors over time? Why would they just boot out everyone with no pay and then file chapter 11?

Comment

• I wouldn't pretend to know much either, but I believe that it is equally important that the company is protected from its creditors while it tries to produce a viable plan for the future. Esco Marine borrowed over $31 million from Callidus Capital Corporation of Canada to stay in business last year and owes about another $4 million to creditors and employees. It couldn't cope with the sudden heavy fall in the prices paid for scrap in February.

Unlike a manufacturing company, however, does it matter if the ships are not worked on for a short period of time? Esco bought and paid for the Shenandoah and the Yellowstone. The Saratoga was contracted for recycling and is still owned by the navy, but where could it go? International has the Constellation already and the Ranger coming. Allstar still has the Forrestal and is probably too small to take two carriers at once. And as far as I know none of the six warships awarded by the DLA has been towed away yet.

What I find puzzling is how did a company which was clearly in financial difficulty manage to win so many important contracts? And if Esco does go under completely what will be the longer term impact be on the whole US shipbreaking industry?

Comment

• Yeah, I suppose the government wishes they could have hung on for another couple of years, after which some consolidation might have been inevitable as the supply of old government owned scrap ships starts to reduce. One wonders if ESCO were hiding things from government auditors.

Comment

• Tradewinds News has an article on ESCO: Sparks fly as ship recycler Esco files for bankruptcy.

I found the last sentence interesting:
          Industry sources say rival recyclers Allstar Metals and Southern Recycling have capacity to absorb business left behind by Esco if it remains closed.
          Last edited by Admiral Nelson; 13 Mar 15,, 17:32.

Comment

• USS Platte's anchor arrives .....

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
            EMR is also the contractor who is breaking up the USS Platte (AO-186) the fifth ship of the Cimarron class - fleet oiler.
            It is rumored that the USS Platte's anchor has been saved and being shipped to Platte City in Platte County at a memorial on the banks of the Platte River.
            That is a lot of Platte in one sentence !!

"Fuel stands first in importance of the resources of the fleet. Without ammunition, a ship may run away, hoping to fight another day but without fuel she can neither run, nor reach her station, nor remain on it, if remote, nor fight." ALFRED THAYER MAHAN
            The USS Platte's anchor arrived in Platte City and temporarily placed until a permanent display will be constructed later this Fall. This week the 13-ton anchor successfully travelled from EMR's Amelia, Louisiana ship breaking facility to the banks of the Platte River in central Platte County, Missouri. The ship's bell from AO-24, a WW-II era fleet oiler also named after the Platte River is on loan from the USN and displayed in the Platte County Courthouse lobby, downtown Platte City, Missouri.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by blidgepump; 20 Mar 15,, 23:50.

Comment

• USNS Narragansett just crossed the Panama Canal with ex-Tripoli in tow (without the tent structures on the flight deck) destination Beaumont. I'm guessing the Army is done using the Tripoli.

Comment

• AIS shows Narragansett has arrived in Beaumont and it appears they are tying up Tripoli (LPH-10) to the starboard side of Nassau (LHA-4). Samson, Titan and Energy Hercules are assisting.

NARRAGANSETT - Tug: current position and details | IMO 8834902, MMSI 367214000, Callsign WDB2452 | Registered in USA - AIS Marine Traffic

Attached Files
                Last edited by ChrisV71; 10 Apr 15,, 23:14.

Comment

• June 24th, MARAD:
                  sold the Comet to Marine Metals for $445,224
                  sold the Cape Blanco to Marine Metals for $445,224

June 26th MARAD:
                  sold the Meteor to All Star Metals for $775,435

Comment

• Sale or Recycling Contract?

Originally posted by ChrisV71 View Post
                    June 24th, MARAD:
                    sold the Comet to Marine Metals for $445,224
                    sold the Cape Blanco to Marine Metals for $445,224

June 26th MARAD:
                    sold the Meteor to All Star Metals for $775,435
                    Did they sell them or are they paying to have them recycled?

Cape Fear and Cape Jacob have also been downgrade to logistics assets which means they may have little future.

Other points:

FFGs 12, 14 and 33 have been removed from Bremerton and towed to Southern Recycling at Sulphur, La. They have obviously picked up the ESCO contract and now have three yards in Louisiana qualified with Marad and the Navy. Does anyone know if any of the other three ships in the contract have been removed (ie Forrest Sherman, Thomas Gates, Doyle) from Philadelphia?

Ranger arrived in Brownsville last Sunday.

ESCO is abeing sold by auction: bids are due by 17th and result announced 23rd July. Navsea says it is monitoring situation closely re Saratoga.

Comment

• Anchor Dedication - USS PLATTE AO-186

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
                      The USS Platte's anchor arrived in Platte City and temporarily placed until a permanent display will be constructed later this Fall. This week the 13-ton anchor successfully travelled from EMR's Amelia, Louisiana ship breaking facility to the banks of the Platte River in central Platte County, Missouri. The ship's bell from AO-24, a WW-II era fleet oiler also named after the Platte River is on loan from the USN and displayed in the Platte County Courthouse lobby, downtown Platte City, Missouri.

As we lite off the boilers and weigh anchor this update on the USS PLATTE AO-186 is offered.

The 4 July event recognizing the sailors and officers of both USS PLATTE AO-24 & AO-186 convened in Platte City with a ceremony with the USN being represented as well as "plank owner" Charles Schley. BMC (SW) USN (Ret.) travelling from Norfolk to receive the "key to the city". BuShip's even "loaned the ship's bell (AO-24)" with an honorary Quartermaster to set the forenoon watch and strike the bell during the :90 minute event.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by tyrosalt View Post
                        They appear to be getting paid to recycle them, so technically they weren't sold. I should have thought about that more before I used that term.

Originally posted by tyrosalt View Post
                        Does anyone know if any of the other three ships in the contract have been removed (ie Forrest Sherman, Thomas Gates, Doyle) from Philadelphia?
                        At least one, which I believe to have been the Forrest Sherman (based on where the assist tugs were pulling the ship out of) was towed to New Orleans by the Crosby Crusader on May 18th. That's the only one I've seen move on AIS. (but I'm not checking it daily)

Comment

• Originally posted by tyrosalt View Post
                          They appear to be getting paid to recycle them, so technically they weren't sold.

Originally posted by tyrosalt View Post
                          Does anyone know if any of the other three ships in the contract have been removed (ie Forrest Sherman, Thomas Gates, Doyle) from Philadelphia?
                          At least one, which I believe to have been the Forrest Sherman (based on where the assist tugs were pulling the ship out of) was towed to New Orleans by the Crosby Crusader on May 18th. That's the only one I've seen move on AIS.

Comment

• This may have been asked before but any reason why the FFGs are being purged and not retained atleast for a little while? I figure it's along the lines of the Spruances when they were purged so they couldn't be brought back instead of ordering Burkes but figured I'd ask.
                            Last edited by 85 gt kid; 17 Jul 15,, 13:57. Reason: stupid auto correct on my phone
                            RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Comment

• It will almost certainly be the Forrest Sherman as the original agreement with ESCO specified that it had to be removed within 60 days of contract signature.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

• I noticed last night that TerraServer did a pass over NISMF Philly at the end of June. It shows the Forrest Sherman gone and the Adams now outboard the 3 Ticonderoga class cruisers as well as 15 Perry class frigates spread all over the reserve basin.

So at least as of then, Gates has not been removed and 15 FFG's means Doyle hasn't been removed yet either. The 15 FFG's supposed to be in Philly are: 28, 29, 32, 36, 39, 40, 42, 45, 47, 49, 50, 52, 53, 55, 58

Comment

Working...
                                X