No announcement yet.

ghost fleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I couldn't decide on a better place for this one. Here is an interesting history of the Shadwell (LSD-15), and what she does now. Shadwell is also a Casa Grande class LSD and possibly the last one in existance. (I don't know whether or not the one Taiwan decommissioned a couple of years ago is still afloat)

http://science.dodlive.mil/2015/01/1...p-never-known/

Comment

• Well, DD 933 is toast (former USS Barry).
      http://www.jdland.com/dc/files/navyy...rryremoval.pdf

Comment

• Originally posted by ChrisV71 View Post
        I couldn't decide on a better place for this one. Here is an interesting history of the Shadwell (LSD-15), and what she does now. Shadwell is also a Casa Grande class LSD and possibly the last one in existance. (I don't know whether or not the one Taiwan decommissioned a couple of years ago is still afloat)

I've "died" aboard Shadwell many, many times. My SWOS DC instructors and I were among their favorite lab rats.

Comment

• Interesting.... another learning moment, too ....

Originally posted by ChrisV71 View Post
          I couldn't decide on a better place for this one. Here is an interesting history of the Shadwell (LSD-15), and what she does now. Shadwell is also a Casa Grande class LSD and possibly the last one in existance. (I don't know whether or not the one Taiwan decommissioned a couple of years ago is still afloat)

Very interesting video on the Shadwell, another "whole thing" I knew nothing about, much appreciation for sharing! ;)

Comment

• The Great JRRF Closing Down Sale?

Marad sold the last Cimarron (Monongahela) and the James McHenry to Southern Recycling on 30th January. Makes 5 already this FY from the JRRF.

They listed the oiler as Amelia and the McHenry as Florida Ave. The monthly update for January also says that Southern are in Brownsville. As someone else said here nobody ever said Marad was bright!

Comment

• Originally posted by tyrosalt View Post
              Marad sold the last Cimarron (Monongahela) and the James McHenry to Southern Recycling on 30th January. Makes 5 already this FY from the JRRF.

They listed the oiler as Amelia and the McHenry as Florida Ave. The monthly update for January also says that Southern are in Brownsville. As someone else said here nobody ever said Marad was bright!
              Both Southern in Louisiana and International Shipbreaking in Brownsville are now owned by EMR (European Metal Recycling) but yeah, Marad isn't bright...

Comment

• Emr .....

Originally posted by ChrisV71 View Post
                Both Southern in Louisiana and International Shipbreaking in Brownsville are now owned by EMR (European Metal Recycling) but yeah, Marad isn't bright...
                EMR is also the contractor who is breaking up the USS Platte (AO-186) the fifth ship of the Cimarron class - fleet oiler.
                It is rumored that the USS Platte's anchor has been saved and being shipped to Platte City in Platte County at a memorial on the banks of the Platte River.
                That is a lot of Platte in one sentence !!

"Fuel stands first in importance of the resources of the fleet. Without ammunition, a ship may run away, hoping to fight another day but without fuel she can neither run, nor reach her station, nor remain on it, if remote, nor fight." ALFRED THAYER MAHAN
                Attached Files
                Last edited by blidgepump; 10 Feb 15,, 16:40.

Comment

• After an entire year MARAD put up new reports on the SBRF. COMET, METEOR and CAPE BLANCO are all scheduled to leave in April or May, leaving but two ships to go.

San Francisco Baykeeper, who were part of the original lawsuit compelling the government to remove these ships from Suisun Bay claim that these last two will also depart sometime in 2015. They also threaten to sue again if the remaining retention vessels create pollution: The Ghost Fleet's Almost Gone.

I do wonder how long the government will maintain the SBRF at all. CAPE FEAR is probably the only ship there worth anything any more.

Finally, Southern Recycling recently protested MARAD's award of YELLOWSTONE to ESCO Marine: Ship Scrapping Scandal Simmering? Perhaps this accounts for the two recent ship awards to Southern Recycling.

Comment

• ESCO Marine has shut down/ceased operations. Apparently they are bankrupt! :red:

Scrap Metal Price Drop Impacts Recycling Industry | KRGV.com | Rio Grande Valley, TX

Lawsuit Offers Glimpse into Esco Marine's Finances | KRGV.com | Rio Grande Valley, TX

This will affect Saratoga, Yellowstone, Shenandoah which are all already there, as well as the George Phillip, Thomas Gates, Forrest Sherman, Sides, Jarrett and Doyle contract.
                    Last edited by ChrisV71; 19 Feb 15,, 01:36.

Comment

• Shades of USS Coral Sea...

Comment

• Didn't it take like 10 years to scrap her?
                        RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Comment

• I was referring more to the lawsuits, missing funds and environmental issues dealing with Seawitch Salvage.

Comment

• Cape Lambert

Originally posted by Archdude View Post
                            The end of fiscal year 2013 has been posted. among the changes are:

NDRF Inventory Changes for the Month ending September 30, 2014
                            As of Date Ship Name Old New Field Changed Remarks

9/30/2014 COMET Historic Review Disposal NDRF Status Vessel cleared Historic Review 7/22/14

9/30/2014 EQUALITY STATE Retention Non-Retention NDRF Program Vessel downgraded 9/30/14

9/30/2014 CAPE LAMBERT Historic Review Disposal NDRF Status Vessel downgraded to Disposal 9/30/14

9/30/2014 CAPE LOBOS Historic Review Disposal NDRF Status Vessel downgraded to Disposal 9/30/14

9/30/2014 CAPE GIBSON Retention Non-Retention NDRF Program Vessel downgraded to Non-Retention 9/30/14
                            The Cape Lambert was sold to International Shipbreaking on 19th Feb 2015 for $644,589.

Comment

• USS Ranger leaving Puget Sound for Texas scrap yard

Comment

• Originally posted by ChrisV71 View Post
                                ESCO Marine has shut down/ceased operations. Apparently they are bankrupt! :red:

Scrap Metal Price Drop Impacts Recycling Industry | KRGV.com | Rio Grande Valley, TX

Lawsuit Offers Glimpse into Esco Marine's Finances | KRGV.com | Rio Grande Valley, TX

This will affect Saratoga, Yellowstone, Shenandoah which are all already there, as well as the George Phillip, Thomas Gates, Forrest Sherman, Sides, Jarrett and Doyle contract.
                                Esco filed for Chapter 11 protection on 7th March (United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Texas, Corpus Christi Division, Case 2105-20107). It describes itself as 'the world's largest ship dismantling and recycling company.'

Assets are stated as being $28,755,000.00 and debts as $35,472,000.00.

Comment

Working...
                                X