• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Museum Ship USS The Sullivans Partially Sinks

Historic World War II ship partially sinking in Buffalo, New York

United States Coast Guard Sector Buffalo

Thu, April 14, 2022, 1:00 PM
    An historic World War II ship on display at a Navy and Military park in Buffalo, New York, was partially sinking Thursday, officials said.

"One of our museum ships, the USS Sullivans has partially sunk at the Military Park pier on Buffalo’s waterfront," the United States Coast Guard Sector Buffalo wrote in a statement on Facebook.

Buffalo Mayor Byron W. Brown said the ship was taking on water due to a major hull breach.

"Efforts are under way to evaluate the situation and take appropriate action to preserve this critical piece of our nation’s naval heritage," Brown said.

A morning tweet from the Buffalo & Erie County Naval & Military Park said that the ships at the park would be closed Thursday. A subsequent tweet said the museum building was also closed.

NBC affiliate WGRZ of Buffalo reported that the Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military told the station last year that USS The Sullivans was in danger of sinking.

Over $1 million has been raised to help “Save the Sullivans.” And last week, Congressman Brian Higgins visited the Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park to announce that $490,000 in federal funding is being secured for the ship as the 79th anniversary of its launch was celebrated.

USS The Sullivans was commissioned in 1943, decommissioned in 1965 and is now a historic landmark. The ship is the only in the Navy to be named after more than one person — she is named after five brothers who were killed in action when their ship, the USS Juneau, sunk.
    ________
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

I've been watching that! 80 years isn't kind on the hull of a tin can!

Comment

Patched 32 holes! Someone is not inspecting their hull.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
        Patched 32 holes! Someone is not inspecting their hull.
        The leaking has been an issue for some time. There was a plan to tow her to a dry dock for repairs as far back as 2018 but apparently the cost was out of their range as well as there was a real concern if the ship could even survive the tow. They would have taken her up the lake to Erie, PA, the nearest drydock that could take her.

They have been aware of the holes for awhile but like many historic sites funding has been more and more of an issue. I know the Civil War site were I am a volunteer is having our list of deferred maintenance growing longer and longer. The local congressman has gotten $500,000 from the Infrastructure Act to help with repairs. Unfortunately there is not enough of a local population to really adequately fund the site...Buffalo has half the population it had in 1960. This last decade has been the first decade which has seen a net increase in population since the 1950s. And when visiting The Niagara Frontier it is hard to compete with The Falls...which are free.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

Then we are all going to be in trouble in the future except for maybe the Iowas. Carriers aren't much thicker and several are in questionable locations on top of it.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
            Then we are all going to be in trouble in the future except for maybe the Iowas. Carriers aren't much thicker and several are in questionable locations on top of it.
            Yeah, it is sad. Anything in contact with the sea is in a bad way. I know there is a drive to do some work on the Massachusetts.
            Mark Twain

Comment

The submarine USS Clamagore is being scrapped. The Yorktown was in trouble a few years ago, with the Navy threatening to take her back and scuttle her. The Olympia had some work done to her but needs drydocking, same with the Texas. Drum was pulled out of the water and has had a good restoration job mostly complete. Alabama got a cofferdam and a patch job

The Navy and most of the museums are seriously going to need to start working on a "End of Life" plan, on/for almost all of the ships. Though the Navy will tell you that its not their problem

The problem is 2 fold. Not enough money to keep the ships properly maintained, And they don't have a full crew of sailors doing routine maintenance and inspections. Little things become big things when no one knows about them

Comment

And they keep talking about expanding the number of hulls. Are they going to allow the manpower authorizations grow for the Navy?
                Mark Twain

Comment

An update

Comment

Honestly? Digitize and document every square centimeter you can, remove key pieces of technology/items of historical significance and place them in the appropriate museum where they can be properly looked after. Also archive and link the schematics/history/stories of all the ships and their individual compartments/systems and link them to the personal stories of the crew who served on them while those officers and enlisted men are still alive or otherwise recoverable from historic records/archives. Create 'living' digital and physical records of both the ship and their crews and then? Let them go. You cant' beat the ocean, not when your made of steel and certainly not if there isn't the political will or money needed to place such vessels in permanent dry dock.

I don't 'like' the above solution BTW. I'd just prefer to have something rather than nothing left of the history all those ships represent..
                    Last edited by Monash; 09 May 22,, 12:17.
                    If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                      An update

My brother...who lives in Buffalo and is sorta of VIP-ish...got a hard hat tour the site last week. He sent me this clip this weekend. Very good news.

He said he was talking to a Coast Guard officer on site who mentioned there was a little bit of a silver lining. The flooding brought some bunker oil and other contaminants they were having removing from the ship. The water displaced the oil which floated on top and made it easier to clean up. Small mercies.
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Wasn’t sure where else to post his. This was my view yesterday afternoon drinking beers!

Battleship Cove in Fall River, Massachusetts. Click image for larger version

Name:	8DFA9564-4FBD-4D8B-8E2B-16C3EA224C30.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	1591472
                        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                          Wasn’t sure where else to post his. This was my view yesterday afternoon drinking beers!
                          I could easily handle that kind of view....
                          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

I could easily handle that kind of view....
                            Not gonna lie…it was sweet, Joe!
                            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

Not gonna lie…it was sweet, Joe!
                              Of that, I have NO doubt!!

I'm heading back to Philly for another 2 weeks in October....take a wild guess where I'll be spending my Saturday off (again)....

Click image for larger version  Name:	224016957_10222807570192850_3529312394820797149_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	777.6 KB ID:	1591571

Comment

Working...
                              X