X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Surface Combatant

Good article here: https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news...-csc-frigates/

My thoughts:

-I was concerned when they moved from a two-class program (with a high-end command/AAW destroyer and a low-end ASW frigate) to a single class program, that they would be essentially scrapping the high-end combatant. It seems they have actually struck a very nice balance between anti-air, -surface, -sub-surface, and strike capability in this design, and a single class program is the way to go.

-Tomahawk is interesting, could prove useful.

-I hope SM-2 is carried, although why not SM-6?

-Sea Ceptor missile as the CIWS is interesting, I would have thought RAM launchers give you precious additional seconds to intercept being forward firing, and have a useful anti-surface capability.

Overall I'm impressed at this stage of design/procurement of how this class is looking.

Regarding SM-2 & SM-6....aren't they intended to be used in a mix? And does that further complicate ship board FCS?
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
      Regarding SM-2 & SM-6....aren't they intended to be used in a mix? And does that further complicate ship board FCS?
      That's a fair comment. The SM-6 has active guidance, longer range, and is more expensive compared to the SM-2. The longer range wouldn't be required in our case.

So the CSC will have the following umbrellas:

SM-2: 120 km
      ESSM: 50km
      CAMM: 25km

Comment

Originally posted by JA Boomer View Post
        That's a fair comment.
        I try!
        Mark Twain

Comment

The SM-6 is gaining an interesting Curriculum Vitae.

https://breakingdefense.com/2020/11/...ange-missiles/

Here the Army is working the SM-6 and Tomahawk together for its MRC.

"...the Army has chosen to mix two very different Navy weapons together in its prototype MRC (Mid-Range Capability) unit: the new, supersonic, high-altitude SM-6 and the venerable, subsonic, low-flying Tomahawk."

http://cdrsalamander.blogspot.com/20...not-joint.html
          Last edited by looking4NSFS; 15 Nov 20,, 18:59.

Comment

looking4NSFS....key word there is "prototype". They ae looking for various hardware solutions to meet an operational need. They are somewhere in the pre-Milestone B process of their system lifecycle. Milestone C is when you get permission to go to low rate production.
            Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X