• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS Barb (SSN-804)

SECNAV Names Attack Boat After WWII USS Barb, DDG for Former SECNAV Lehman

By: Mallory Shelbourne

October 13, 2020 7:17 PM

Secretary of the Navy Kenneth Braithwaite named the next Virginia-class attack boat after the famed World War II-era submarine USS Barb (SS-220) and a new destroyer after former Navy Secretary John Lehman in a Tuesday ceremony.

Braithwaite announced the two new ship names during an event unveiling plans to construct a new Navy museum in Washington, D.C. The service will call SSN-804, a Virginia-class attack submarine, USS Barb, and DDG-137, an Arleigh Burke-class Flight III destroyer, USS John F. Lehman. Lehman served as the Navy secretary under former President Ronald Reagan.

“One of these storied vessels was USS Barb, SS-220, which sank 17 enemy vessels, including an aircraft carrier, and even landed troops to blow up a train on the Imperial Japanese Homeland. She was honored with both a Presidential Unit Citation and a Congressional Medal of Honor for her Commanding Officer Eugene B. Fluckey,” Braithwaite said of the World War II boat in prepared remarks.
    “And so today, in grateful memory of the Silent Service Sailors of World War II, and what the record of this great ship meant to the service, I am announcing that the next attack submarine, SSN-804, will be named USS Barb,” he continued.

Braithwaite has told USNI News on multiple occasions that he’s an avid student of naval history and looks to draw lessons from the past to help guide the Navy today. Last week he announced that the first guided-missile frigate would be named USS Constellation (FFG-62), after four previous ships, including one of the Navy’s original six frigates. He told USNI News at the same event that he drew lessons from World War II’s use of light carriers in shaping his views on the future naval fleet and its use of light carriers to supplement nuclear-powered aircraft carriers.

The SECNAV has also repeatedly called Lehman a mentor and personal friend and told USNI News that the upcoming growth in the naval fleet, if a Pentagon plan to grow to 500 ships is executed, would be the most exciting time for the Navy since Lehman led the force in the 1980s.

Braithwaite spoke at an event in the Washington Navy Yard announcing the service’s plans to construct a new U.S. Navy Museum.

The Navy is still working to determine where it will build the museum, but the service hopes to find a spot near the Washington Navy Yard, outside of the base so members of the public can easily visit, according to a Naval History and Heritage Command news release.

The service will work with a non-profit to raise money for the effort, the release said.

“The total estimated funds required for the construction of the state-of-the-art facility is $204 million for phase one of the project, with opportunities for spiral development of additional phases totaling $450 million,” according to the release.

The Navy plans to finish the structure by 2025, for the Navy’s 250th birthday, Braithwaite said.

The current National Museum of the U.S. Navy (NMUSN) is inside the Washington Navy Yard base and has become difficult to access over the years due to increased security protocols. The museum previously featured a display ship, former-USS Barry (DD-933), but the Navy removed the decommissioned ship from the pier in 2016 and did not replace it with another decommissioned ship.

Looks like we've finally got a SecNav that cares about traditional names. First Constellation and now Barb. Talk about one of the most storied subs of the Second World War

I was wondering what they were going to do now that all 50 states have vessels named after them. Never imagined they'd go back traditional fish names for the attack subs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	13217435_10154181316994839_3275581397381626532_o.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	1566831

“He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

While I’m excited to see a return to traditional names, there are a few states left with nothing. Kansas and Wisconsin come to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisV71 View Post
      While I’m excited to see a return to traditional names, there are a few states left with nothing. Kansas and Wisconsin come to mind.
      Crap on a Christmas cracker...I thought they'd swept up the remaining states with they named Oklahoma and Arizona.

Sure enough, there's two left. WTF??
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

Crap on a Christmas cracker...I thought they'd swept up the remaining states with they named Oklahoma and Arizona.

Sure enough, there's two left. WTF??
        AND South Carolina. Jeez....

Comment

Well there was a battleship Kansas and a BB & CGN named for South Carolina.

And USS Wisconsin sits next to the Nauticus Center 75 miles southeast of me.

Keep in mind that State names for SSBNs was to carry forward the tradition of the BBs. And SSNs picked up the tradition tied to CAs of major city names.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            Well there was a battleship Kansas and a BB & CGN named for South Carolina.

And USS Wisconsin sits next to the Nauticus Center 75 miles southeast of me.

Keep in mind that State names for SSBNs was to carry forward the tradition of the BBs. And SSNs picked up the tradition tied to CAs of major city names.
            Buck,
            We're talking about current commissioned/building/authorized ships. The Virginia-class SSN's have burned through nearly every state name left, and when Barb was named, I erroneously thought that all of the state names had been used. Big mistake on my part.

Naturally a couple of Virginias were named after people, John Warner and Hyman Rickover, just to disrupt the naming convention.

Personally I think Barb is the perfect traditional attack sub name to use first. Other subs scored higher tonnage sinkings or more spectacular single ship sinkings, but none were more innovative than Barb

Comment

Ahh....wasn't tracking, Joe.

I definitely have some recommendations....Harder, Tang, Drum, Spadefish....
              Mark Twain

Comment

Finally, something makes sense...

I was so thrilled with that name that I had to watch a submarine movie. Put on Youtube on my Roku and searched Submarine Command with William Holden.

After that it was Operation Petticoat just for laughs as Cary Grant does comedy well. Besides it has two of my favorite lines.
                "Where there is confusion, there is profit."
                "Wow, that is what I call scavenging."

The week before I walked over to the 442nd display now on the hanger deck of the Hornet and manned by two third generation Japanese. I walked up as a video caught my eye and I asked the fellow manning the display if that was Go For Broke and it was. He tells me his uncle was in the movie after he got out of the 442 since the film company asked for all available extras in the Los Angeles area to come down. He told me to look at Youtube for it and he was right so I watched it again after maybe 40 years.
                Last edited by tbm3fan; 19 Oct 20,, 06:40.

Comment

I watched Go For Broke about a week ago!
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Strike Wisconsin off the unused list
                    https://seapowermagazine.org/secnav-...-columbia-ssbn

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisV71 View Post
                      Strike Wisconsin off the unused list
                      https://seapowermagazine.org/secnav-...-columbia-ssbn
                      Finally!

Comment

TopHatter says
                        Finally!
                        ...but there's a 'Wisconsin' sitting at berth in Norfolk!! (smiley face)

Comment

The Navy Has Started Naming Its Submarines After Sea Creatures Again

In the past two months, Secretary of the Navy Kenneth Braithwaite has announced the names of three future Virginia class attack submarines. In a departure from the established convention, which the lead boat in the class had set, all three will be named after fish. The Navy's boss says these monikers, all of which honor past submarines, will help the members of its Silent Service restore a link to important history and heritage after decades of sailing in boats primarily named after U.S. states and cities.

On Nov. 17, 2020, Braithwaite had revealed that two future Virginia class submarines, with the hull numbers SSN-805 and SSN-806, would be named USS Tang and USS Wahoo, respectively. The month before, he had announced that the forthcoming SSN-804 would receive the name USS Barb. All of these will be Block V boats with the additional Virginia Payload Module (VPM), which has four large-diameter launch tubes that will be capable of firing various weapons and potentially deploying other systems, including unmanned underwater vehicles (UUV).
                          _________

NICE! Keep it up!!

Next you can use Flasher, Rasher and Tautog

Comment

Working...
                          X