Nuclear role F-15E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M21Sniper
    In reality, the F-15Es are totally irrelevant.
    Delivery of nuclear weapons with the F15I might be a little more relevant for purposes of discussion given the current trip in the hand basket ;) .

Regards,

William
    Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

Comment

Tactical nuclear weapons delivery would be done by way of a B-2, F-117, F-22 (when cleared) or from a Navy ship.
      F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by BenRoethig
        Tactical nuclear weapons delivery would be done by way of a B-2, F-117, F-22 (when cleared) or from a Navy ship.
        The F-22 can carry nukes internally??

Comment

In theory, yes. However, as I indicated, it's not currently cleared to do so. If the need ever comes up (such as Iran actually getting the bomb, radical government in Pakistan, overthrow of "democratic" government in Russia, etc.), I think arraigements would be made to clear it in a hurry.
          F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

I think that the tactical nuclear role for the F-15E is still applicable under specific circumstances.

One the posters on this thread had discussed the B-61 and B-53/83 bombs. The B-1' s no longer have a nuclear role. The B-52's would typically be fitted with ALCM, however they can also carry the 9-10 MT B53 bomb (however we only have about 50 of them left in the inactive reserve). The B-2 can carry missles or bombs.

I'm pretty sure that all of the strategic B-61's are now out of service and we have maybee 155 active and reserve 50-350kt B-61's with another 260+ in inactive reserve.

In a case where we wanted to hit a precise target (say an underground nuclear facilty just outside of Tehran) and we wished to mimize collateral civilian damage by using a small yield, precisley targeted weapon, the F15E with B-61's would fit the bill the nicely. Cruise missles can go astray and even our smallest and most accurately guided ICBM/SLBM warhead would be at least 100kt yield with a CEP in the range of 100 meters at best. B-2's are too costly to risk; B-52's are too slow. An F-15E can run fast and low, has the capability to defend itself against fighters, and I am guessing could deliver a low yield nuke with the precision needed to do the job without undo collateral damage (especially if we fit a B-61 with JDAM guidance).

I don't think that you could fit a B-61 inside the internal bay of a F-22 without extensive modification - but I may very well be wrong on that.

Comment

Working...
            X