F/A-22 Crash landing video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F/A-22 Crash landing video

So much for the greatest fighter in the world, huh?

http://212.204.242.91/media/FA-22_ru...shlanding.mpeg

Very old vid. Nothing special for a prototype. That's the reason why flight tests are made: To make the unit better.
    >Facit Omnia Voluntas<

Comment

It's of the YF-22 Lightning II, which if I remember correctly suffered a combination computer failure and pilot-induced oscillation causing the aircraft to porpoise into the ground on landing. Another F/A-22 was lost last year at Edwards for a similar reason on take-off, the computer crashed on start-up, the pilot failed to reboot, some critical component locked-up and the aircraft burned itself in along the runway.

Despite the incredible leaps in technology the F-22 project demonstrates, it has been a remarkably failure-free program.

Most new aircraft suffer some catastrophic failures as their manufacturers and operators learn about flaws in the design, that's why it's called "development."
      The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

We should ground every aircraft that ever had a crash in the development phase. That would be pretty much all of them.
        F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Well it is the best fighter. Like stated before, compared to other aircrafts it is incredibally safe with only 2 accidents in its entire career.

Comment

Originally posted by BenRoethig
            We should ground every aircraft that ever had a crash in the development phase. That would be pretty much all of them.
            Wrong. The F-15 and F/A-18E/F never had a crash in developement. The F-14 had a problem with recovering from spins due to the wing design and lost the first one. Don't know about F-16.

Comment

by the way, thats not crashing, its testing.
              I saw the exact same thing on discovery channel
              they were just experimenting the effects of no gear landing

Comment

if you havent noticed, the pilot didn't eject

Comment

Originally posted by huh_what
                  if you havent noticed, the pilot didn't eject
                  Yes, he did, but the tape was cut before it was done. The plane fell apart all over the runway. On the sight which I found this they said specifically that it was due to failure with the aircraft and no test. Don't believe the discovery channel when it comes to the military.

http://www.f-22raptor.com/ho_newsview_1.php?id=152
                  Last edited by Insomniac; 19 Nov 05,, 08:41.

Comment

wow. how ignorant
                    the f-22 crash at nellis airforce was different from the video
                    It took off in full afterburners and did some 360+ spins before crashing onto the runway

Comment

It did those spins before the video started.

Comment

if you've cared to see the actual video (which i have)
                        the f/a-22 takes off, goes into afterburner, begins to yaw, turns off afturburner, begin to pitch and roll, turn rearwards, then crash
                        I'm not denying the fact that f/a-22(s) crashed
                        i'm just saying that your video is not a video footage of the Nellis AFB crash

Comment

also the background in the video is clear and endless
                          Nellis AFB is in the middle of a desert and surrounded by mountains

actual video of Nellis AFB crash
                          video simulation
                          rtsp://real.gannett.speedera.net/real.gannett/atpco/060805_f22crash.rm

Comment

Originally posted by huh_what
                            also the background in the video is clear and endless
                            Nellis AFB is in the middle of a desert and surrounded by mountains

actual video of Nellis AFB crash
                            video simulation
                            rtsp://real.gannett.speedera.net/real.gannett/atpco/060805_f22crash.rm
                            Are you saying that Raptor has crashed twice? What was the USAF thinking?!

Comment

it isn' necessary USAF crashing the Raptor
                              It could have been lockheed martin testing its development fighters
                              The thing is the those bugs are worked out now
                              better than building a cheap jet and going through problems while on the front line

Comment

Working...
                              X