Interesting Development.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by canoe
    Your correct, I beleive the Russians do have the right to have more nukes then the U.S. If I remember the agreement correctly the Russians are allowed to have the equivlant number of missiles that U.S+NATO has not just the U.S.
    The difference I hear is 16K to 10K. You mean NATO has 6K nukes?
    "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those others that have been tried from time to time. "

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed."

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
      Russia is estimated to currently have 8600 operational warheads with another 10,000 in non-operationals status. The US is believed to have 10,600 warheads of which 8,000 is operational.
      OOE, what exactly do you mean by non-operational? Can you explain a bit more, sir. And how much time would it take for these nukes to become "operational"?
      "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those others that have been tried from time to time. "

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

In various states of parts.

Reserves - just had to slap the thing together
        Refurbishment - parts need replacing and the entire thing need tuning up.
        Retirement - time to take the damn thing apart and throw it away ... very carefully

Comment

Its going to have zero impact, the U.S is actually cooperating with Russia on the missile shield. The missile shield was never intended to stop a massive ICBM launch from Russia. It was designed to stop a dozen or so nukes launched from NK or Iran.

Theres even been talk in Russia about abandoning the START treaty so Russia can downsize its missile fleet further. Its costing Russia far to much to maintain them all right now and the only country they have a practical use against is the U.S/NATO which is very low on the threat scale for them now.

Unfortunately there is an old school group of military commanders in Russia who are determined to maintain numerical parity with U.S forces across the board even if it means the Russia military falling apart from underfunding, fortunately these officers and officals are getting old and slowing leaving/retiring from the service.
          The financing of Russian millitary is growing around 25% every year and reaches 2.6% of GDP and around 25% of total budget..... Russian parliament is now considering a law which would allow protract millitary programs beyond .... :-) one year! (sounds funny a?)

OK back to the issue. Russia will continue to have numerical parity of IBCM and its GDP is sufficient to keep it...... the transfer to solid fuel IBCMs reduced the cost of operating around 5 times.....

ps. It is very unlikelly that Russia wants to use its IBCMs. It is rather a threat weapon that lets Russia save much more on conventional defense spendings...
          Last edited by Garry; 06 Nov 05,, 19:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk
            The difference I hear is 16K to 10K. You mean NATO has 6K nukes?
            Thats the stockpile not deliverable weapons.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/summary.htm
            http://www.fas.org/nuke/control/start1/chron.htm

Stockpiles
            U.S: 10,640
            Russia: 16,000

Number of deliverable from stockpile
            U.S: 6,390
            U.K: 200
            France: 350
            Russia: 3,242

Russia unusually high stockpile is partly due to the Russia having serious problems disposing of their old/nonfunction warheads. The CIA has also report to congress that some of Russias older warheads maybe missing/unaccounted for. On the 31st of July 1991 Bush and Gorbachev signed an agreeement to reduce their strategic nuclear forces over seven years to 1,600 SNDVs and 6,000 "accountable" warheads, of which no more than 4,900 may be on ballistic missiles.
            Last edited by canoe; 06 Nov 05,, 23:05.

Comment

The CIA has also report to congress that some of Russias older warheads maybe missing/unaccounted for. On the 31st of July 1991 Bush and Gorbachev signed an agreeement to reduce their strategic nuclear forces over seven years to 1,600 SNDVs and 6,000 "accountable" warheads, of which no more than 4,900 may be on ballistic missiles.
              Thats a statement rarely substantiated except in the movies where they steal "Russian" nukes from "Kerplakistan". I have never believed that the Russians are that inept in taking care of their nuclear stockpile.

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                In various states of parts.

Reserves - just had to slap the thing together
                Refurbishment - parts need replacing and the entire thing need tuning up.
                Retirement - time to take the damn thing apart and throw it away ... very carefully
                Thanks for the info.
                Sir, any idea bout how many Russian nukes are at the retirement stage?

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Thanks for the info.
                  Sir, any idea bout how many Russian nukes are at the retirement stage?
                  All of them.

I ain't being sarcastic here but the Russians are in desperate need of new warhead designs.

Comment

Thats a statement rarely substantiated except in the movies where they steal "Russian" nukes from "Kerplakistan". I have never believed that the Russians are that inept in taking care of their nuclear stockpile.
                    On the CIA report, generally speaking I tend to beleive its unlikely too but figured it was worth a mention given it was in the nuclear disarmament article. But the issue of Russia falling behind and having trouble disposing of their older nuclear warheads is a definate proven issue for them and one they've admitted themselves.

Comment

who cares which country has more nukes? Using only the ones, which US or Russia posesses, U can demolish the Earth along with Venus and Mars in one sit! :)

Comment

But the issue of Russia falling behind and having trouble disposing of their older nuclear warheads is a definate proven issue for them and one they've admitted themselves.
                        This is accurate. It is one of Russia's several serious problems.

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I like how america got rid of nuclear arsenal by getting rid of the strike eagles nuclear bility.... how'd they do that again?

Oh btw does anyone know how I can get my hands on a Davey Crockett rocket for personal use?

Comment

Originally posted by Maxor
                            I like how america got rid of nuclear arsenal by getting rid of the strike eagles nuclear bility.... how'd they do that again?

Oh btw does anyone know how I can get my hands on a Davey Crockett rocket for personal use?
                            Are you high?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
                              Are you high?
                              LMAO, The very thought was starting to appear in my mind
                              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Working...
                              X