IAF moves on $5-bn combat aircraft deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by indianguy4u
    Thats why whatever we purchase for MRCA, should also be used for LCA. Radars, avionics with ToT from MRCA would be a gr8 help for LCA's future.

Such an LCA would come at around 25 million US$[est], while if LCA fails to materialise then we would be in big trouble b'coz m2k-5 cost 60 million US$, grippen 45 million US$ [not very capable] & f16 & f18 would cost 40-60 million US$. So Our budget would increase from 7.5 billion US$ [for 300 LCA] to triple of that. Only migs35 would be nearly 25-30 million US$, which looks the best bet.
    though is sireously believe that all these machines will cost much lesser when produced in india. but of couse nothing matches the LCA in what we want.. just because of sheer RCS (when compared to M2k/F16/Mig29) .. and of course the similar nose size..

Comment

Well kaveri is est at 18,078 lb .

GE F404-400 engine (54 kN, 12,120 lb thrust dry and 80 kN, 18,100 lb thrust with afterburner).
      Last edited by indianguy4u; 10 Oct 05,, 07:44.
      Hala Madrid!!

Comment

I think it will go for either the F-16 or F-18, for strategic reasons of course ;)

Comment

Originally posted by The_Burning_Kid
          I think it will go for either the F-16 or F-18, for strategic reasons of course ;)
          Do state those reasons.
          Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Do state those reasons.
            Because they like the US and their "partnership". Other than that as I'm an Indian-American and love both countries, I want that ;)

Comment

Because they like the US and their "partnership". Other than that as I'm an Indian-American and love both countries, I want that ;)
              Tell the strategic reason. Liking one country or not is peripheral, buying def armanments is a strategic buisness & its conducts that way mostly.
              Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Tell the strategic reason. Liking one country or not is peripheral, buying def armanments is a strategic buisness & its conducts that way mostly.
                For one thing, the Indian gov would be seen more favorable to the US if it bought the US jets, and considering that the US and India now have a strategic alliance, they would want to strengthen that, after all there trying to get more attention from Pakistan from the US. heheheh ;) And the fact that they want something for the US Congress to see so they can get nuclear technology from the US. If I must say, but I haven't been up-to-date on these things, so my points could be wrong.

Comment

For one thing, the Indian gov would be seen more favorable to the US if it bought the US jets, and considering that the US and India now have a strategic alliance, they would want to strengthen that, after all there trying to get more attention from Pakistan from the US. heheheh ;) And the fact that they want something for the US Congress to see so they can get nuclear technology from the US. If I must say, but I haven't been up-to-date on these things, so my points could be wrong.
                  Indian needs to play it right if it wants to be the next power in Asia. It needs to deal with US and Russia and China in a carefully planned way. Clearly, US and Russia/China are the two sides trying to get India to side with them. For strategic reasons, India will probably side with both sides rather than just the one side.

Comment

IMHO there were two reasons for Indo-US relations to remain tardy.

1.The Non-Proliferation Treaty
                    2.US's relation with Pakistan.

With the signing of the landmark agreement with the India,US has signalled that it is willing to recognise India as a nuclear weapons state in a round about manner.India too has a declared that it is not going to test any more nukes in the near future.

A few points still remain.Like the US wanting to cap our arsenal - to which India will never agree.But these are not primary issues.

The biggest roadblock for better Indo-US relations is no longer there.

Comment

Originally posted by tphuang
                      Indian needs to play it right if it wants to be the next power in Asia. It needs to deal with US and Russia and China in a carefully planned way. Clearly, US and Russia/China are the two sides trying to get India to side with them. For strategic reasons, India will probably side with both sides rather than just the one side.
                      Well US & Russia are itself cosying up with each other, so its not a major concern.
                      Hala Madrid!!

Comment

i don't think us is too happy about india wanting to build ICBMs

Comment

ICBM is in cold storage for a decade now. Dont know will it be restarted. India needs a missile covering whole of china & to deploy some of those near indo-china border, nothing more[5000-7500km]. Our GSLV can be converted into ICBM if the need be with modifications.
                          Hala Madrid!!

Comment

The way I see it,

U.S. Perspective:
                            Use India and Russia to nip china's threat potential in the bud. use Pakistan vs India to keep india in check.

Russian perspecitve:
                            Use India to nip china's threat, continue to use India as great buyer, continue to warm up with U.S.

Indian perspective:
                            Use U.S. and Russia to keep china checked. use russia mainly against pakistan. use u.s. for super tech and nuke tech.

one feels that this may become apparent with the MRCA deal which could be split between U.S. and Russia (france has already been taken care of with scorpene and airbus deals)

Regards,
                            uSs.

Comment

and I dont think India is too happy with US pending fighter jet sale to Pakistan.
                              it's better to lead than to follow

Comment

As a matter of fact, the US is not happy to see any other nuclear armed country other than itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X