Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IAF moves on $5-bn combat aircraft deal

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by indianguy4u
    Nuke tech is for civilian use only.
    its not about usage .. its about trust associated with that usage. Americans arent threatened by india militarily in any way at present or in the future. So if they can entrust us that we wont transfer the civilian nuke tech for weapons or to other countries then clearly they will definitely not question india transferring AESA tech to others.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by uss
      Yeah, I thought as much, a turboprob is never gonna clear Vikad's deck!
      Anyway, i would like to see some innovative stuff with the MKI. Perhaps they can fit it with more AEW/AWACs capability. Something akin to the prowler, only with a more powerful radar. This is a beautiful platform as it has two pilots and tremendous endurance. Plus, the Kuzentsov uses flankers (although not as AEW platforms), so why not the gorshkov?
      because gorshkov is much smaller than kuzentov... su's are too heavy for gorshkov.the SU's came into consideration while acquiring gorshkov. but they couldnt be used. which forced india to accept mig29 instead.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by uss
        2 ADSs, 1 invincible class, gorshkov (all operating MiG29ks/LCAs/Harriers,
        i dont wanna see gorshkov with harriers .. they are not capable nough. esp when we have mig29k's and LCA's .

        Comment


        • #34
          Harriers are good enough. With right techniqes RAF harriers beat the M2k of Argentine AF in Falkland war.
          Hala Madrid!!

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by indianguy4u
            Harriers are good enough. With right techniqes RAF harriers beat the M2k of Argentine AF in Falkland war.
            They were just M2k's not M2k's -5 or M2k's -9. Here we are comparing it the an LCA or Mig29K with quite smaller RCS and a pretty decent radar. Harriers are good but they are not the 2010 technology.

            Comment


            • #36
              I dont think NLCA will be ready, plainvanilla LCA is taking time.
              Hala Madrid!!

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by indianguy4u
                I dont think NLCA will be ready, plainvanilla LCA is taking time.
                we have nough time right. ?? if it fails we know that MRCA is gonna take the space.. so dont mind seeing the MRCA( like F18 or more Mig29K's improved ones). in case there are no LCA's.
                But then we should be optimistic about LCA. The main issue is engine. and at least the GE's are there.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by ajaybhutani
                  we have nough time right. ?? if it fails we know that MRCA is gonna take the space.. so dont mind seeing the MRCA( like F18 or more Mig29K's improved ones). in case there are no LCA's.
                  But then we should be optimistic about LCA. The main issue is engine. and at least the GE's are there.
                  What if LCA dont materialise, which AC will replace the mig 21/23.
                  Hala Madrid!!

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by ajaybhutani
                    i dont wanna see gorshkov with harriers .. they are not capable nough. esp when we have mig29k's and LCA's .
                    You have me slightly wrong here. I was thinking of the modernized harriers for the Invincible after retiring the Viraat (around 2009-10). The modernized harriers could be a pain in the rear for many a/c. They are to be upgraded with the EL 2032 and derbys (which should give them one heckuva BVR ability).

                    Also, don't underrate the navy boys in their harriers - they have been known to surprise theIAF MiG29s once in a while, esp. in wvr. The harrier is a v.difficult a/c to pick up in wvr and now with the upgrade it will be pretty nasty in bvr too :) heres an interesting article that compares the IN harriers to the Rafale and MiG29.

                    http://www.acig.org/exclusives/viraat/viraat_2.htm
                    things did not always go in the MiG-29's favor. The MiG-29 for instance, has a relatively large planform and smoky RD-33s which allowed the Harrier pilots to visually acquire them out to nearly 27 km. In turn, the Sea harrier is itself, extremely difficult to notice and visually acquire, and was often able to get the jump on the Fulcrum. In spite of the MiG-29 technically outclassing the Sea Harrier, a series of successes lead INAS-300 to conclude that the MiG-29 pilots were 'Blind as bats', much to the frustration of the latter !
                    su's are too heavy for gorshkov.the SU's came into consideration while acquiring gorshkov. but they couldnt be used. which forced india to accept mig29 instead
                    yes that makes sense if all the a/c onboard were going to be MKIs. I'm just talking about 2 a/c per carrier for a dedicated AEW role. It might take the place of a few 29s or lcas but they could really provide a lot of options. Just think of a funky Bars and a rear antenna like Kopyo M/el 2032, this might give 360 deg. coverage and at the same time provide greater power and range than the existent KA 31. Add to it a whole bunch of jamming equipmnt and you have something like a Prowler as well! Just a theory of mine (could be waaay off of course) ;)

                    Regards,
                    USS.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by indianguy4u
                      What if LCA dont materialise, which AC will replace the mig 21/23.
                      if LCA doesn't materialise, I'm sure IAF will purchase something new. I'm sure IAF has plenty of back up plans.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by tphuang
                        if LCA doesn't materialise, I'm sure IAF will purchase something new. I'm sure IAF has plenty of back up plans.
                        IF it does not materialize, it would require a major rethink in strategy. The lca was the perfect (cost wise and otherwise) replacement of the MiG 21. I seriously doubt there is anything available at that cost which can do the same work.

                        I'd think the Gripen would be a good option, esp. if they have already made the f18e as thier Meduim Range Combat A/c. Su 30 + F18 + Gripen sounds good to me. The mirage would have been a good choice too but it is too expensive and also not as modern an airframe as the gripen.

                        Regards,
                        USS.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by indianguy4u
                          What if LCA dont materialise, which AC will replace the mig 21/23.
                          it should be the MRCA .. We wont be buying more versions....
                          But again there are levels to which the LCA can fail.. The ariframe is good..( at least we are sure about that) and with the good relations between india and US i dont see the problem in procuring more engines for LCA or even better ones. What remains is the radar. And if Indian planners are intelligent nough.. they will get the complete ToT for the radar to be used.With LCA's nose slightly bigger than Mig29..( how does that compare to F16/F18/M2K). i dont see much of a problem in fitting in a new radar.LCA as a whole can be saved to a large extent but of course only if the IAF shows interest in it. Of course it can turn out to be a potent plane even with a big blow like failure of kaveri.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Thats why whatever we purchase for MRCA, should also be used for LCA. Radars, avionics with ToT from MRCA would be a gr8 help for LCA's future.

                            Such an LCA would come at around 25 million US$[est], while if LCA fails to materialise then we would be in big trouble b'coz m2k-5 cost 60 million US$, grippen 45 million US$ [not very capable] & f16 & f18 would cost 40-60 million US$. So Our budget would increase from 7.5 billion US$ [for 300 LCA] to triple of that. Only migs35 would be nearly 25-30 million US$, which looks the best bet.
                            Hala Madrid!!

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by ajaybhutani
                              it should be the MRCA .. We wont be buying more versions....
                              But again there are levels to which the LCA can fail.. The ariframe is good..( at least we are sure about that) and with the good relations between india and US i dont see the problem in procuring more engines for LCA or even better ones. What remains is the radar. And if Indian planners are intelligent nough.. they will get the complete ToT for the radar to be used.With LCA's nose slightly bigger than Mig29..( how does that compare to F16/F18/M2K). i dont see much of a problem in fitting in a new radar.LCA as a whole can be saved to a large extent but of course only if the IAF shows interest in it. Of course it can turn out to be a potent plane even with a big blow like failure of kaveri.
                              Has ADA looking at foreign mfg for a engine capable for LCA. How much thrust did kaveri & GE404 has.
                              Hala Madrid!!

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by indianguy4u
                                Has ADA looking at foreign mfg for a engine capable for LCA. How much thrust did kaveri & GE404 has.
                                u can check the right figures on ada.gov.in .. the LCA TWR is slightly less than 1 for GE404.Kaveri is slightly higher than GE.404. Furthermore. I dont think it will be difficult to get the more thrust versions of GE404(if the need arises.. i.e in case kaveri fails etc)..

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X