No announcement yet.

Best BVR AA Missile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The US has a tendency to replace their best equippment, notably aircraft.

F-14 is going to retire in 06-08
    F-15 maybe by 2012

^The best US fighters

Phoenix is gone.

^Best long range AAM in the world.

Whats next? M1A2s?

Comment

Well the newer F-15Cs are going to be maintained in the inventory and upgraded as neccesary. Also, the F-22 is obviously going to take over the front line air supremacy role.

You're right about the F-14 though, it was retired with no clear replacement, and so was the Phoenix.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
        Well the newer F-15Cs are going to be maintained in the inventory and upgraded as neccesary. Also, the F-22 is obviously going to take over the front line air supremacy role.

You're right about the F-14 though, it was retired with no clear replacement, and so was the Phoenix.
        Phoenix was designed with a particular threat in mind, and it wasn't a maneuverable fighter, but a long range bomber at long range about to unleash a nuclear tipped missile at a carrier. While that threat still exists at a lower level, the current threat isn't Russian bombers, but foreign fighters of all types. Now I am one to think Russia isn't quite our friends, yet (particularly with suitcase nukes potentially deployed in the US), so that threat is under addressed, relative to what we had, but the F-18 isn't totally incompetent at fleet defense either. The phoenix is unpowered at the end of it's flight profile, and not as able to take much evasive action without losing energy, it would seem anyway, so against fighters it may not be much of a loss. I would imagine giving the F-18 AESA backfits might address this capability loss and then some, particularly when a longer ranged AMRAAM comes out.
        And experienced pilots are indispensible. In WW2 the US sent it's experienced pilots to teach new pilots. Japan sent them all (experienced) to the front line where they were killed off, and left the fleet with inexperienced pilots teaching beginners.
        Last edited by Sandman; 05 Oct 05,, 22:19.

Comment

Any info of SD10 of Plaaf.
          Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Originally posted by indianguy4u
            Any info of SD10 of Plaaf.
            Just that it's effective range is 70 KM, 38 or 40g is the maximum manevouerability and maximum speed is mach 4. Accuracy is the unknown factor. It's often compared to AIM-120A or B.

Comment

RE: Best BVR AA Missile

> M21Sniper
              > AN/AWG-9 / AN/APG-71 Radar
              Thank you Sniper for the best decription I have ever read describing the AWG-9! I am going to copy this and save it. I have been a Tomcat fan since 1969 when Grumman recieved the contract.

> the detection and interception of sea-skimming anti-ship missiles
              Yes it can detect a sea skimmer missile from its patrol altitude of 20,000 feet but if it is similar to Exocet, Harpoon, etc. the Tomcat has an effective range of detecting an RCS so small of 40 miles!

> While not able to match the Tomcat's radar in range, it does provide a useful
              > means of target identification
              This was a life saver feature after PGW#1. AWACS detected a target and cleared the Tomcat to fire on it. The pilot decided to get closer and use his TCS. The target turned out to be a chartered DC-9 which had not filed its flight plan properly. A couple of months later AWACS cleared two F-15C's to fire on two low flying targets. The F-15's fired on the targets killing them. The targets turn out to be two SH-60 Blackhawk helos!

> RepublicanGuard
              > F-14 is going to retire in 06-08
              Unfortunately due to cost the conversion of the F-14 to the F/A-18E/F's is ahead of schedule and the last operational flight of the F-14 from the carrier will take place early next year. Cost of maintenance is the reason for pushing the schedule.
              Either the last six month deployment has started or will start shortly!

> F-15 maybe by 2012
              The F-15C is in the process of being upgraded and will have to soldier on now for much longer for it seems the F-22 will not be purchased in the numbers required and to fill the number of fighters needed, modified F-15's will fill the gap. This is especially true for NORAD.
              I read recently that while congress is crying about how expensive the F-22 is, if you account for inflation the P-51 Mustang would cost $212,000!! Congress cried about the cost of the F-14A and F-15A, if you account for inflation the F-14A and F-15A would be a lot more expensive than the F-22. America built both the F-14 and F-15 because the 'political will' was there.
              I wonder what the F-14A and F-15 would cost if their production first started today? I know between the mid-1970's and when I retired in 2000 my salary went up over a factor of eight! That would make the F-14A or the F-15A far more expensive than the F-22. America had the political will so, we afforded the production of these two for many years along with two other fighters for the better part of a decade. That was just fighter type aircraft. The USA also developed a new tank, IFV, mobile artillery, ECM aircraft and, several classes of missile armed ships. The problem is not the money, it is the political will!!

> the F-14 though, it was retired with no clear replacement, and so was the Phoenix.
              It is a lot easier to rebuild the threat that made the F-14 necessary than to try and adopt new aircraft to meet the navy's needs should the threat re-appear.

> Sandman
              > Phoenix was designed with a particular threat in mind, and it wasn't a
              > maneuverable fighter
              Much of that problem was corrected with AIM-54C although the IRIAF used its F-14A's against Iraqi aircraft and scored over one hundred kills against fighters.
              URL -http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_210.shtml

> it would seem anyway, so against fighters it may not be much of a loss
              The Phoenix Missile is an intercept missile not a dogfight missile. So, it can be used like the Sparrow against fighters. Even if it does not kill the fighter it will cause the enemy fighter to lose energy giving the Tomcat to have a tactical advantage.
              Remember, in any air exercise the Phoenix Missile is excluded. So, it is difficult to judge how effective it would be when added to the weapons the Tomcat is able to use.

> tphuang
              > It's often compared to AIM-120A or B
              Only from the stand point of being an ARH missile. The Slammer is a true dogfight missile while the Phoenix Missile can kill fighters, that is not its strength. Considering the amount of time it took to design the Slammer and Adder, the reality that the Phoenix missile was ready to go when the F-14 became operational.

> Just that it's effective range is 70 KM, 38 or 40g is the maximum manevouerability
              The IRIAF made a kill by a F-14A against a Tu-22M Backfire. The Backfire is traveling at Mach 2.0+ and at an altitude well above that of the F-14A. The F-14A sped up to Mach 2.4 and fired the Phoenix Missile. The actual flight distance was over 140Km!

Adrian

Comment

why did you put my post in there if you didn't respond to anything I wrote?

Comment

Working...
                X