Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A – 10 Thunderbolt Vs. Me – 109 : Only Cannon Armament (Read Introduction)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A – 10 Thunderbolt Vs. Me – 109 : Only Cannon Armament (Read Introduction)

A – 10 Thunderbolt

Vs.

Me – 262 Messerschmitt

Hahaha Haha! Well I guess its only a saber rattling cyber pest like me who starts dicey topics like this but, considering the aeronautical aspects involved let us consider this :

Suppose a refurbished Me 262B-2a armed with a 50mm MK 114 gun fully loaded with firepower, probably owned privately or by some establishment went up against an A-10 Thunderbolt at an airshow somewhere in the world in a mock dogfight with only their cannon armaments. Now we’re talking about a 60 year old fighter of WW II vintage going up against our modern day Warthog minus its AGM Maverick self-defence missiles and other weaponry, save its cannon

Hence although the A-10 has very stable slow speed handling, it will not trim completely ‘hands off’ for any extended period of time which means that, with a pilot-selective firing rate of 2,100 / 4,200 rounds per minute, it would be capable of disabling the 262 from a range of 6,500m with its GAU-8/A Avenger 30mm cannon. But then again the A – 10 would need to have the same amount of ammo as the Me 262, so it would have relatively less rounds to fire.

And still the A – 10’s Achilles’ heel lies in its speed(Only 420 mph or Mach 0.56, a lot slower than a Boeing 747) and since it would be fatal for a 262 to attack an A – 10 head-on an Me 262B-2a closing its firing range very quickly at almost Mach 0.86 would totally damage the A -10 with its powerful 50mm MK 114 nose gun, if it were to straff the A – 10s twin tail section – rendering it rudderless. The only way the A – 10 would be able to defeat the Me-262 would be to go into a flat spin and get its nose gun directed at the 262 or perhaps climb to 45,000 ft before the 262 straffs its belly, but a tail damaged A – 10 would surely be….on its way down……

There have been stories of A-10's evading F-16's. The slower the plane, the smaller the turn radius, ergo the tighter you can turn on your enemy and shart shooting into his path.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Ask Sniper. The a10 can defeat the me262 anytime. It has so much armour that it has taken 1-2 SAM hits, lost its tail, an engine and a half a wing. Its powerful Avenger cannon would smash up the me262 in a few hits. And nothing outmaneuvres the Hog at low speed, so the me262 better watch out. With Aim9s... ;)

Comment

Originally posted by hello
        Ask Sniper. The a10 can defeat the me262 anytime. It has so much armour that it has taken 1-2 SAM hits, lost its tail, an engine and a half a wing. Its powerful Avenger cannon would smash up the me262 in a few hits. And nothing outmaneuvres the Hog at low speed, so the me262 better watch out. With Aim9s... ;)
        Well, it's only fair that they ME-262 lose in a fair, guns only fight...
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Dismissing the A-10s AIM-9P aramament for a moment, and the fact that the 50mm armed Me never made it past prototype stage, and the fact the planes are separated by 30 years...

The A-10s 30x173mm PGU-14 HVAPDU round is actually much better suited to ACM than the 50mm low velocity, low ROF gun of the Me262, which was designed to hit large, slow, lumbering bombers.

Th PGU-14 HVAPDU ammunition has a mv of 3,500fps, and fires at a fixed rate of 3,900rpm(the selector was deleted, and the rate fixed at 3900 a few years back), so it's really THE ideal dogfighting gun. Range, ROF, penetration, trajectory, and velocity all heavily favor the Hog's gun vs the 50mm gun in the Swallow.

And OBVIOUSLY the A-10s computer aided HUD gun modes will be FAR more accurate and useful than the simple aiming ring of the Me262.

The A-10 is slow, but in it's element...low altitude...it can outturn ANY fixed wing aircraft in current use today in a 1/2 turn fight.

The Me262 has never been known as a turner, so it would have to rely on 'boom and zoom' energy tactics, and would rely almost entirely on surprise to have a fighting chance at closing with and killing a hog.

If the Hog saw the Swallow before the Me got into it's gun envelope the WWII fighter would be best advised to just climb out and look for a different target. If he did surprise the A-10 and get in a clean pass, it's a matter of whether or not 2-3 50mm HE hits could actually down an A-10- the most heavily armored tactical aircraft ever made, with absolutely legendary battledamage performance....which based on actual combat results seems quite unlikely.

The Me262 would have the advantadge of being able to engage and disengage at will...but that's about the only real advantadge it would have vs the A-10.

Board Admin, www.a-10.org :)

Last edited by Bill; 06 Aug 05,, 08:51.

Comment

Again with the shameless advertising? Seriously, dude...

Comment

Not advertising, simply letting the thread author know that he's talking to someone who knows a l'il sumthin' about the mighty A-10 Warthog. :)

Comment

You know, I may have a website about quantum physics. Don't know I mean jack about quantum physics... It means I know how to run a board and how to cut/paste stuff about quantum physics...

Comment

LOL, don't make me get Luna to ban you PRIVATE. :)

Comment

Cheap shot...

Comment

LOL, get used to it. Cheap Shots are one of the many specialites of NCOs. ;)

Comment

Yes, SIR!

Comment

Just because someone has a website about a specific jet doesn't mean they'll know everything about that specific jet; however, most of the time, if someone dedicates their website (a very popular one, at that...) to one specific jet, it shows they're extremely interested in that jet; if one is extremely interested in that jet, then they'll take the time out to learn SO much about that jet; thus giving that person more backing if one is to ask that person about that jet they made their website about.

:::breathes::: wheew... ok. Do I make myself CLEAR?! ;)

Comment

LOL, i've been all over the country to tour A-10 units and facilities, and have an A-10 USAF operations manual on my coffee table.

Like i said, i know a l'il somethin' about the Hog. ;)

Comment

Working...
                            X