A-10 vs Apache; "tank killing"-wise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A-10 vs Apache; "tank killing"-wise

Forgive me if this topic has been talked about before, but I am curious about something that has been kind of bugging me for a long time.

When you have plenty of armored targets, consisting mostly of tanks, who would you rather send out to take care of the job, the A-10, or the Apache? Perhaps it is a matter of environment or other factors, but what would you generally send out first to, "take out those suckers"?

Also, though it is kind of off topic, I am curious about the "availability" of the A-10. Say, a guy wants to fly an A-10, and manages to fullfil all the training and requirements he needs in order to be considered to be a pilot; what would happen?

Is there enough A-10s in operational status, so that he can just hop into one and serve with his A-10 and go where he needs to go, or would an old A-10 have to be brought out of a "mothball" status, and wait for that plane to come online?

Or, perhaps, he might have somebody say to him, "Hey buddy, we got plenty of A-10 pilots in the service, get in line and wait, or maybe your talents could be used elsewhere."

I hope I explained my questions well enough that you guys can understand them, hehe.

Thanks!

A10 first, Apaches second, minefields 3rd, artillery fourth, tanks fifth, infantry last.

Comment

drkfce
      I'd say the A-10, since it's faster, more heavily armed and far more survivable than the Apache.

I'm sure our resident M21Sniper can answer most, if not all, of your other questions about the A-10. He probably has not responded yet simply because he hasnt seen the title of your thread
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

A10 first, Apaches second, minefields 3rd, artillery fourth, tanks fifth, infantry last.
        In the perfect world Sir.
        To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Originally posted by troung
          In the perfect world Sir.
          It's measure by the dangers of blue on blue encounters. The A10s would have the greatest chance of blue-on-blue shots, so I want them to hit the enemy tanks as far away from my ground forces as possible, and hence the 1st force I want to use. Then, the Apaches, then the minefield, then the artillery, ...

Comment

The Apache weapon for weapon has the abaility to kill more tanks. The A10 can carry 6 Mavericks on 2 x LAU-88s plus the 1174 rounds in the gun if you fill the chute all the way to the high drive. The Apache carries a whole lot more missiles and the chain gun. So on a numbers basis the Apache has the edge. However I would never bet the farm on a perfect world situation. Like the Colonel said the A-10 has a greater standoff range and the greatest chance of blue on blue shots. With the Litening II AT pod and laser guided bombs or the textron built SFW it makes an easy choice an even easier choice. Hawgs are the most viable tank killing machine. Kinda like a new P39 Airacobra just a lot lot better.
            "Now we shall have ourselves a pell mell battle!" ......The Immortal Memory, Admiral Nelson

Comment

"I'm sure our resident M21Sniper can answer most, if not all, of your other questions about the A-10. He probably has not responded yet simply because he hasnt seen the title of your thread"

Well Hawg166 is an A-10 crewchief and his response was sufficient to answer the question posed. :)

Hawg did leave out the 2 CBUs that the Hoggies normally carry in addition to the Mavs too though. Also, unlike the 30x113mm gun of the Apache, the 30x173mm Avenger cannon of the A-10 is specifically designed to kill tanks.

Comment

Sorry Snipe didnt mean to confuse. The Sensor Fused Weapons ( SFW ) built by Textron are the smart CBUs that we carry. I should have been more specific.
                "Now we shall have ourselves a pell mell battle!" ......The Immortal Memory, Admiral Nelson

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                  "I'm sure our resident M21Sniper can answer most, if not all, of your other questions about the A-10. He probably has not responded yet simply because he hasnt seen the title of your thread"

Well Hawg166 is an A-10 crewchief and his response was sufficient to answer the question posed. :)
                  Dammit Jim! I'm a doctor not a personnelman!

Sorry about that Hawg, just hadnt seen you post in awhile...need to get my eyes checked.
                  “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Thats allright. Nice avatar where did ya score that ? I am here a lot, I just try not to speak unless I have something to add. It prvents everyone from looking at my post and saying "who invited that guy ?"

Comment

You tell anyone that gives you a hard time that Sniper invited you. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Hawg 166
                        Thats allright. Nice avatar where did ya score that ?
                        Umm...
                        I am pretty sure it was a VF-14 website (their official one?) but I'm frankly drawing a blank for the exact URL.
                        Thanks for noticing it by the way
                        I'm rather proud of it and it looks better than showing my ugly mug on every post

Comment

It's measure by the dangers of blue on blue encounters. The A10s would have the greatest chance of blue-on-blue shots, so I want them to hit the enemy tanks as far away from my ground forces as possible, and hence the 1st force I want to use. Then, the Apaches, then the minefield, then the artillery, ...
                          I know.
                          To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

How far would the minefield be from your main body of troops? Wouldn't it make more sense for artillery to engage the enemy firther out and keep up a constant barrage? Obviously they all can't fire at once, due to range, but MLRS with anti-tank munitions could engage from pretty far out, and have the tube artillery join in once the enemy came into range, no?
                            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

The A-10 can get additional assets vectored in, probably even US Army artillery by instigating a target request, and certainly other USAF aircraft. If a hog pilot sees a particularly juicy target rich environment all he needs to do is tell the FAC. They'll get more planes or guns on target if there are any assets around waiting for targets.

It's what FACs and FOs do, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X