• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IAF MiG-21 Bison “MATCHES UPTO” PAF F-16s

IAF MiG-21 Bison “MATCHES UPTO” PAF F-16s

MiG – 21 Bison armed with the R-77 Adders and a KAB-500 TV Guided PGM
    under
    its Central Pylon.

Alright this is not about Indo-Pak jingoism, but this is just an aeronautical speculation. Here are the upgrade specifications of the MiG-21 Bison ready to arm the IAF :

The upgrade consists of Super Kopyo X-band pulse Doppler radar and
    RVV-AE (AA-12 Adder) beyond visual range missiles and PGMs., new nosecone, new canopy, single-piece windshield and new canopy made of stressed acrylic
    composites, Sextant's TOTEM RLG-INS with NSS-100P GPS embedded GPS
    receivers, El-Op HUD, infrared search and track system (IRST) from Russia's
    URALs optical-mechanical plant, two Sextant MFD-55 LCD displays, autopilot,
    radar warning receivers (RWR), digital flight data recorder, new liquid
    air cooling system, HOTAS controls, stores management system, digital air
    data computer system, short range radio navigation system, new HF/VHF/UHF
    radios, twin conformal Vympel flare dispensers (26mm, 120 rounds) and a new
    electric power supply system. Reportedly the new RWR to be fitted, is an
    indigenous system developed by DRDO and goes by the name Tarang. A modified
    version of this RWR will be used aboard the Su-30MKI.

That is not all, apart from carrying the deadly AA-11 "Archer" that arms the MiG-29 and longer range AA-10 Alamo BVR AAMs, Bison pilots will have the SURA helmet mounted sight, used by Flanker pilots. Now with this combination, it would mean that the MiG-21, flying faster than all F-16 variants would “schlemm” an F-16 as well as the Luftwaffe MiG-29s did.

Close up of the RVV-AE active BVRAAM carried by the MiG-21 Bison

Enabling technologies

Enabling Technologies: Mig-21 & F-16

By Commodore Prem Kumar, VSM (Retd.)

We changed!!

Comment

Inferior aircraft armed with superior missiles may be able to defeat US aircraft carrying current generation missiles," the Air Force(USAF) said in its briefing paper.

But inferior or not, as a Mach 2 platform for launching BVR AAMs with Active Radar is what makes the MiG-21 a serious threat to almost any modern fighter.

In retrospect, it still is the good old ‘Sabre era MiG’ with modern fire controls, BVR missile with active-radar seeker upgrades that lived on to dogfight F -16s and Mirages. Even during Cope India 2004 in DACT many F -15 pilots did confess and say it were the dozen odd BVR capable IAF MiG-21s buzzing around at Mach 2 that gave them a real hard time. These were the modernized ‘Bison’ versions the IAF flies whose weapons and avionics suits coupled with their Mach 2 speed pose a serious threat to any 4th or 4.5th generation fighter.

Comment

During the Vietnam era, enemy MiGs found it extremely difficult to outmaneuvere the bigger, faster F – 4s. But that was back in the day when dogfights were still non-BVR. Today an IAF BVR capable MiG-21 can lock onto a Pakistani F -16 head-on way across the Indo-Pak border and hold it there at gunpoint.

Comment

Donno' mate!

Mate i rekon F-16's shouldnot be Underestimated
          They are good fighters (UPs........Very Good aahhhhh... excellent fighters :) )
          and but u r right Mig 21 New ones are very good
          Like Mig 21-93 are awesome and upgraded Mig 21 Bison are not bad(LOL they are good in comparison to other Mig21's)
          But htey are gonno b out of service any way
          and i hope pakistani bros. dont mind me sayin that LCA is awesome here is a pic (I m postin only one cuz i just wanna prove that they r very goo(Pakistani frends say its pi** of crap.

Any ways

C ya guys
          Karan (the Invincibe Game)

Comment

Rightttt. Keep dreaming. Some old ass Mig-21 compared to new F-16s? I'll put my money on the F-16s. Why do you think India wants to buy new planes? To replace the old ass MIGs. if they were so great, then India would keep them.

Comment

Originally posted by giggs88
              Rightttt. Keep dreaming. Some old ass Mig-21 compared to new F-16s? I'll put my money on the F-16s. Why do you think India wants to buy new planes? To replace the old ass MIGs. if they were so great, then India would keep them.
              Dude
              I said they Mig are awesome
              Mig 21-93 can be compared to very good fighters.

Anyway

F-16 are also good

Comment

Originally posted by Proud Indian
                Dude
                I said they Mig are awesome
                Mig 21-93 can be compared to very good fighters.

Anyway

F-16 are also good
                No.

F-16 > Mig-21. There is no complementary "also good" involved here.

Comment

F-16 would kick some MiG ass.
                  "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

when this thread startted it was about the iaf mig21's current one with bvr and the paf f16 blk A's (without bvr.) ..

Comment

Dude should not say that

but Mig 21-93 are equiped wid all nw tech (india is not fool that they are still upgrading them ) i not sure about bvrm's though

Karan(invincible Game)

Comment

Dude should not say that

but Mig 21-93 are equiped wid all nw tech (india is not fool that they are still upgrading them ) i not sure about bvrm's though

Karan(invincible Game)

Comment

Againt the current **** F-16's with older Sidewinders and no BVR missles - the new MiG-21's got them beat. Once pakistan gets new F-16's it will be a much different story.

India is going to replace the MiG-21's (I'm guessign probably with the MiG-29), the upgrade of the Mig-21's is a stop gap measure (however a very good stop-gap measure)

Comment

BVR against NO BVR, its all gonna be the same right? WVR combat, this plane would be dead duck against an F-16.

Comment

Originally posted by Asim Aquil
                              BVR against NO BVR, its all gonna be the same right? WVR combat, this plane would be dead duck against an F-16.
                              DONT be so sure mate

Mig 21's dead yes

But MIG21-93 dont think so (Researh on this plne its pretty good)

Comment

Working...
                              X