Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone got news and data for the JSF / F35?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill
    replied
    Sharp looking bird.

Leave a comment:

• jgetti
    replied
    Originally posted by M21Sniper
    Got any pix of the McDonnel entry bro?
    These are all I can find right now.....
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• jgetti
    replied
    Originally posted by M21Sniper
    I'll see if I can dig one up.

Leave a comment:

• jgetti
    replied
    Originally posted by highsea
    My bad! I had already left by the time MD and Boeing merged- you're right, the X-32 used a direct lift design similar to the AV-8B. I got confused!!

Lol, even though my loyalties lie with Boeing, I really hated the X-32. It was one of the absolutely ugliest AC ever designed...barf!

Yea, even we called it "The Monica" or "The Lewinski" because all it did was suck and blow!! LOL

Leave a comment:

• Terran empire
    replied
    That would have been a blessing.
    Hmmmm A10 is a Beauty queen by comparison. It looked like it was going too "Eat any one in its way, i think thats why so many people liked it, It was begging too have Shark Teeth. but from the Projections it would still have been ugly.

Leave a comment:

• highsea
    replied
    Originally posted by Terran empire
    ... and probably would have looked or been nothing like the production version.
    That would have been a blessing.

Leave a comment:

• Terran empire
    replied
    The lift fan was considered to be superior to the direct lift system used by Boeing, for various reasons. In the conventional versions, the space that the fan occupies in the "B" variant can be used for fuel, future weapons, EW, etc. It was considered more versatile.
    It also did not help that the boeing X32 prototype would have required massive restructuring and probably would have looked or been nothing like the production version.

Leave a comment:

• highsea
    replied
    Originally posted by Dima
    i have a question, why was the X-35 chosen over the X-32?
    The lift fan was considered to be superior to the direct lift system used by Boeing, for various reasons. In the conventional versions, the space that the fan occupies in the "B" variant can be used for fuel, future weapons, EW, etc. It was considered more versatile.

Leave a comment:

• highsea
    replied
    well, i don't care if the Yak-141 had two engines and, i heard that the engine that the powers the F-35 was based on the Yak-141 design, can anyone support this? highsea, are you from rfforces.com, then you know that they talked about this there
    Dima, Pratt Whitney does not share technology with Soyuz. The comparison is not one of engines, it's one of concepts. i.e direct lift, or lift plus cruise. The Yak and the F-35 use the lift plus cruise concept. i.e there is a separate component that is employed to generate lift. In the Yak, it is a pair of smaller engines. In the F-35 it is done by a shaft driven fan off the main engine.

The Harrier and the X-32 used the direct lift concept. i.e. thrust was diverted for lift.

That is where the similarity ends.

after the stats, it says that it was inspired by the Yak-141 engine, can anyone else find another site?
    NO IT DOESN"T! It says:
    Inspired by the Russian Yak-141, the X-35B incorporates a separate lift fan that is powered by the F119 engine but provides an independent source of thrust in hover.
    Again, just so you are COMPLETELY CLEAR...Listen carefully... PRATT WHITNEY DOES NOT SHARE TECH WITH SOYUZ! The "inspiration" is the lift plus cruise concept. Anybody who tells you that the F119 is derived from a Soyuz engine is full of cr*p.

Leave a comment:

• cooldw57
    replied
    Originally posted by Terran empire
    F 15 s and F16 s are not Carrier based The F 35 ( still no nickname?) will replace AV 8 s F 14 and take over the Air superiority role from the acting F 18's there but with all the new Kits the Navy has in the works for the F/A 18 E/F ( last i checked air to ait refuel, Anti Sam and AntiSub) F/A 18 s will still be in the service for a long time. it will take over for the F 16 ( the F22 will be replacing the F15)
    It comes in three versions
    The Base line F/A 35 A for the Airforce,
    A VTOL version for the Marines the F/A 35 B
    and the Navy gets a version with longer wings and Tails Called the F/A 35 C
    it will also be going too a lot of other countries.
    http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm
    Wow, you really know what you are talking! :)

F-35 C will be the Navy's version, with only one big objective: being able to take off from a carrier. Lots of European and Canadian companies got contracts with JSF parts, it will probably be exported to lots of US Allies in the near future. :)

Leave a comment:

• Dima
    replied
    yes, ugliest bird in the sky, my opinion

i have a question, why was the X-35 chosen over the X-32?

Leave a comment:

• highsea
    replied
    Originally posted by jgetti
    I think you have the McDonnell Douglas JSF and the Boeing X-32 mixed up...That's precisely when McDonnell Douglas decided to sell out to Boeing.
    My bad! I had already left by the time MD and Boeing merged- you're right, the X-32 used a direct lift design similar to the AV-8B. I got confused!!

Lol, even though my loyalties lie with Boeing, I really hated the X-32. It was one of the absolutely ugliest AC ever designed...barf!

Leave a comment:

• Dima
    replied
    well, i don't care if the Yak-141 had two engines and, i heard that the engine that the powers the F-35 was based on the Yak-141 design, can anyone support this? highsea, are you from rfforces.com, then you know that they talked about this there

http://home.iae.nl/users/wbergmns/info/jsf.htm

after the stats, it says that it was inspired by the Yak-141 engine, can anyone else find another site?

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jgetti
    replied
    The Boeing offer, the X-32 had a separate lift engine, but the F-35 doesn't.
    I think you have the McDonnell Douglas JSF and the Boeing X-32 mixed up. The Boeing X-32 used a more modern version of the direct lift ducted nozzle setup using only one engine like the AV-8B did. The McDonnell Douglas JSF competitor was originally going to use a vertical fan similar to the X-35, but used diverted airflow from the engined to spin the vertical fan as opposed to a driveshaft. McDonnell selected this method because it was felt that it would yield the most performance with the least reliability issues/complexity.

The thing was, McDonnell's design would only work with the GE F-120 variable cycle type of engine. When the pentagon selected Pratt as the prime contractor for JSF engines, McDonnell's concept wouldn't work without the diverted airflow duct getting too large. Since other contingency plans were further into development by Boeing and Lockheed, McDonnell's only option was to put an extra engine in the STOVL variant for lift. The contract called explicitly for one engine, and McDonnell did not make the downselect.

That's precisely when McDonnell Douglas decided to sell out to Boeing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X