Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B21: The USAF new bomber

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by bfng3569 View Post
    what's the bet that at the end of the production run if hyper-sonic ramjet/scramjet UAV tech. is that far advanced that you'll have B-21's controlling and commanding them.
    Yes, sort of:

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...82d_story.html
    Work illustrated the new willingness to discuss exotic weaponry. During the interview, he showed off a small “Perdix” micro-drone, less than a foot long, which flew with 25 of its mates in a tight grid last summer after being launched from a large plane. These organized drones are part of the Pentagon’s vision of future combat.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by bfng3569 View Post
      Marketing.... just like the proposed first run will be for 21 aircraft......

      gotta make it sound all shinny and new and futuristic and all.... especially with McCain all over it now for some reason......
      McCain is probably looking for leverage to argue over Goldwater Nichols.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by gunnut View Post
        Whoa whoa whoa...how did it go from B-2 to B-21? Did we skip B-9, B-10, B-15, B-17, and B-18?
        Because it has a silent dot.... Its actually the B2.1

        Comment


        • #19
          Oh, I can't wait to see how long over schedule and how much over budget the first production run of these babies will turn out to be! Anyone want to start a book? 10 bucks says 4 years and 80%.
          If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

          Comment


          • #20
            Does the arsenal plane concept relate to B21?
            All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
            -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

            Comment


            • #21
              And I thought only the IAF was addicted to "Artist's Renderings" and Photoshop. ;-)
              sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Monash View Post
                Oh, I can't wait to see how long over schedule and how much over budget the first production run of these babies will turn out to be! Anyone want to start a book? 10 bucks says 4 years and 80%.
                I'm actually expecting it to be pretty close since it will be sharing a lot of tech (engines/stealth materials/sensors) with the F-35. No doubt it will have it's own special hardware, but the more they can test on an existing platform the better off they will be.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Triple C View Post
                  Does the arsenal plane concept relate to B21?
                  I think that if an arsenal plane concept sees the light of day, it will be on a revamped B-1. Modifying an existing B-1 to take it closer to the B-1A design of high altitude, high speed operations would give any missiles launched a little extra kick, before they are handed off to a forward stealth fighter for guidance.

                  The B-21 may very well be used in this role if it turns out to be successful on the B-1, but I don't think it will start there.
                  Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 29 Feb 16,, 15:37.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
                    I'm actually expecting it to be pretty close since it will be sharing a lot of tech (engines/stealth materials/sensors) with the F-35. No doubt it will have it's own special hardware, but the more they can test on an existing platform the better off they will be.
                    Exactly.

                    stick to the plan and incorporate already matured tech as much as possible to mitigate cost and time.

                    on a side note, I think they should be doing that with a new fighter for the Navy (and air force). New airframe, but stick to already matured tech. (engines, sensors, radar etc etc etc) seems like (especially in the case of the F-15) that they've got a lot of 'bolt' on items that work great (Targeting pods, communications pods, IRST pods etc etc etc) that could be integrated into a new airframe. (not so stealthy, less expensive etc etc etc)

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
                      I think that if an arsenal plane concept sees the light of day, it will be on a revamped B-1. Modifying an existing B-1 to take it closer to the B-1A design of high altitude, high speed operations would give any missiles launched a little extra kick, before they are handed off to a forward stealth fighter for guidance.

                      The B-21 may very well be used in this role if it turns out to be successful on the B-1, but I don't think it will start there.
                      Unfortunately, the B-1 airframe will be too old by the time they actually get around to "converting" the B-1B to the B-1R; yes, it's a good idea, but there never really was a lot of support for the concept. The USAF will spend whatever money they can get from Congress for the B21, not a re-vamped B-1.

                      The concept has been proposed before, but I seriously doubt it will ever see the light of day.

                      Offering Unique Solutions for Global Strike Force

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	B-1R_long-range_multi-role_strategic_bomber_aicraft_United_States_US_American_Air_Force_USAF_avi.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	1468362
                      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by zraver View Post
                        Because it has a silent dot.... Its actually the B2.1
                        Hahahahaha....I like that.
                        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by bfng3569 View Post
                          Exactly.

                          stick to the plan and incorporate already matured tech as much as possible to mitigate cost and time.
                          You think too highly of our military-industrial complex.
                          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                            You think too highly of our military-industrial complex.
                            I'm just a simple unejumacated fool....

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
                              I think that if an arsenal plane concept sees the light of day, it will be on a revamped B-1. Modifying an existing B-1 to take it closer to the B-1A design of high altitude, high speed operations would give any missiles launched a little extra kick, before they are handed off to a forward stealth fighter for guidance.

                              The B-21 may very well be used in this role if it turns out to be successful on the B-1, but I don't think it will start there.
                              The B-21 may bey the best option for the role.... stealthy, long range, decent payload and all the data links comm gear etc etc etc built into it.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                They built 104 B-1A/B and 21 B-2.
                                How many B-21 will be built?
                                Maybe a dozen to stand up a squadron?
                                Last edited by JRT; 16 Mar 16,, 01:05.
                                .
                                .
                                .

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X