He-162 Volksjager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He-162 Volksjager

I always thought this was a neat airplane. I was amazed at how little it was when I saw one at the RAF Museum. The wiki article claimed it had very encouraging performance and fine flying characteristics even with the original 1945 technology.

I was thinking...what would happen if we make a replica with modern technology? Using light weight aluminum and composite material instead of wood and something like a Garrett TFE731 turbofan with double the thrust and 1/3 the fuel consumption rate.

It won't be for military applications. Just a neat looking little hotrod....
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Something like these or even smaller?

Cirrus Vision SF50 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eclipse 400 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
      Cool!

Yeah, something like those, but single seat or tandem seat hotrod. I am curious how well the design of He-162 was. It never really reached its potential under very difficult conditions and primitive jet engine.

I saw this at the RAF Museum and was amazed at how small it was. You can see how big the B-25 Mitchell was in the background.

Comment

It doesn't look as cool or as fast as the He-162, but you can build it yourself!

Sonex -- The Sport Aircraft Reality Check!

Attached Files
        Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 07 Oct 14,, 21:37.

Comment

I was always partial to the BD-5 myself (yes, I grew up in the '70's!):

BD-5
          Attached Files
          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Look what I found on the internet:

Me 262 Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Imagine a replica He-162 frame powered by a non-afterburning GE J85...

Comment

I've actually been following that project for the last ten years or so, it's been a fairly rocky road to (finally) build those five replicas. One of the cool things about the new airframes is that Messerschmitt was, apparently, so impressed with the reverse-engineering the company did on the Me 262, that they allowed the company to use follow-on Werk numbers for the "replica" airframes, so that one could say that the Me 262 has been in production for 65 years with a 55 year hiatus! My only regret is that they have no plans to produce anymore and, IIRC, all the tooling has been destroyed.

The replicas are, apparently, very easy to fly, and there were no problems encountered with the flight tests.

Here's the website for the project itself (gunnut, you should really dig this site):

STORMBIRDS presents the Me 262 Project
              "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Working...
              X