Comment

• Shornet-play Indian style.
      https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...he-indian-navy

Comment

• https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/boe...jets-1.6262851

Super Hornet is OUT.

Comment

• Originally posted by JA Boomer View Post
          Damned fishy here. Generally speaking, the larger the airframe, the better the procurement. The SUPERBUG has the room to fit more mid life upgrade gadgets than the GRIPEN. Given the HORNET is already in Canadian service, I cannot see one thing the GRIPEN can do the SUPERBUG cannot do and do better.

And that leaves politics which BOEING managed to piss off Trudeau for the BOMBARDIER fiasco. This doesn't bode well for the F-35. Trudeau made a promise not to get this bird.
          Chimo

Comment

• So. what's left then? I've become lost... F-35, Typhoon, Rafale & Grippen, or is one of these out as well?...

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
              So. what's left then? I've become lost... F-35, Typhoon, Rafale & Grippen, or is one of these out as well?...
              Only the F-35 and Gripen at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by JA Boomer View Post

Only the F-35 and Gripen at this point.
                Ah, right, thanks. If I remember correctly, there were some specifications on the communications systems required, to link up with NORAD? Can't be fun for non-US aircraft to compete with that in mind...

Comment

• Didn't necessary see it coming down to F-35 vs Gripen. Not sure how much cost plays a role in to evaluation, if it all.

Trudeau did pledge not to buy the F-35, but I feel like that may not matter anymore for the following reasons:
                  1) It was a long time ago, things change.
                  2) He can argue that what he really meant was that the Convervatives shouldn't have bought the F-35 without an exhaustive competition.
                  3) The economics of staying an F-35 parter while not buying it may not make sense.
                  4) He's unlikely to seek reelection (not many PMs go for the 4th mandate).

Regardless, I hope the RCAF is making the decision, and the government will support whatever decision they make.

If there was a fixed budget and we could get x-number more Gripens than F-35, that MAY sway me. But I'm rooting for the F-35 as the best platform for our aviators to do their job for the next 40 years.

Comment

• One of the YouTube channels that I subscribe to has a pretty good video on the recent developments.

“He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                      One of the YouTube channels that I subscribe to has a pretty good video on the recent developments.

Yeah, saw that too. I'd forgotten about the upgrades to keep their F-18s flying. And I see he shares my oppinion on the new F-15. I wonder if Canada will rererboot the competion just to get that one in the list?...

Comment

• No, it was BOEING who lost, not the SUPERBUG. One of the tenets of the bid was economic impact on Canada. BOEING's BOMBARDIER fiasco was an economic negative impact. Replacing the SUPERBUG with the MUD HEN won't change that.
                        Chimo

Comment

• With the invasion of Ukraine, the thought that Canada should buy a cheap fighter because it really only needs an air interception platform is dead, no? I don't see how the government can not buy the F-35 at this point.

Comment

• Canada selects the F-35: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...next-warplane/

Comment

• I would love to see a specialized maritime strike version of the F-15ex.
                              If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monash View Post
                                I would love to see a specialized maritime strike version of the F-15ex.
                                Now that would be cool....I wonder how many Harpoons you could hang from one of them.
                                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                                X