No announcement yet.

Rafale Wins MMRCA Bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it not possible to fix the sustainable turn rate issue? afaik IAF guys are not happy with the sustained turn rate of Tejas, but if an interceptor design is being modified to play a multi role, either they should have cancelled the design long before or except it as it is, unless some interim solution could be applied to fix the problem. If sustainable turn rate cannot be improved upon the current design I wonder whats cooking in Indian aerospace industry for getting it further delayed. Even the Mark II design to be introduced do not have any major change in airframe to help for the cause.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
      Call me cynical but I wonder how much money changed hands to make this deal happen.

It's been reported that a lot the troubles the Indian Navy has had with the Admiral Gorshkov is because the Indian naval officers that initially inspected the ship were monetarily persuaded to ignore certain glaring problems.
      Now the fun begins..

Defence minister Antony tells MoD to probe Rafale deal | Deccan Chronicle | Mar 12 2012

Defence minister A.K. Antony has ordered his ministry to probe allegations of irregularities and manipulation of the evaluation process while picking the French company Dassault for the purchase of 126 fighter aircraft worth about Rs50,000 crore.

India had picked Dassault’s Rafale over the Typhoon of EADS, an European consortium. Mr Antony took the decision after receiving a complaint from TD Rajya Sabha member M.V. Mysoora Reddy. Replying to Dr Reddy, Mr Antony said he had asked the MoD to examine all the points raised in the complaint.

In his complaint dated February 27, 2012, Dr Reddy had demanded an enquiry into the evaluation process that finalised the L-1 contractor for procurement of the MMRCA without looking into their efficiency and other aspects.

“The alleged manipulation of the evaluation process in picking the L-1 contractor, which resulted in a decision to procure 126 MMRCA, has raised serious apprehensions not only across the country but also worldwide. If a proper decision is not taken, the country’s credibility will be at stake,” Dr Reddy wrote.
      TD MP: Why should India buy Rafale? | Asian Age | Mar 12 2012
      Telugu Desam Rajya Sabha member M.V. Mysoora Reddy, in his complaint to defence minister A.K. Antony dated February 27, 2012, had stated:

“Officials in the ministry of defence violated the evaluation process and arrived at (by manipulation) an incorrect decision with regard to the France-produced Rafale Aircraft as L-1.”

“I am also given to understand that the Rafale aircraft has not been sold to any country. Why should India buy a combat aircraft that no other country has purchased? In Libya, in the war against Gaddafi, the Rafale had failed in precision bombing and finally the Typhoon was inducted. The UAE too has rejected the Rafale,” he wrote.

He demanded that the enquiry must be completed within 30 days, that those who manipulated the evaluation process be punished, and the aircraft which was “actually” the L-1 be purchased.

In his reply, Mr Antony stated, “The ministry was asked to examine all the points raised by Mr Mysoora Reddy.” Reacting to the defence minister’s decision, the TD MP said, “How could I have kept quiet as a responsible Opposition MP when it came to my notice that there was a manipulation in the process of evaluation of the bids for a defence contract worth about $12 billion that is likely to go up to $18 billion?”

Thanking Mr Antony for ordering the probe, Dr Reddy said, “I thought it was my patriotic responsibility to request the defence minister for an enquiry into this as I believe Mr Antony has spotless integrity. I appeal to him to allow a thorough probe in a transparent manner so that the country is not put to a loss by awarding the contract to an inefficient company.”
      Who agrees with the underlined bit ?
      Last edited by Double Edge; 13 Mar 12,, 13:42.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
        Now the fun begins..
        Who agrees with the underlined bit ?
        I am flattered that an MP from Indian constitution knows so much about jets and fighters

Well I assume some Foreign power is behind this but that's my opinion

Comment

• Earlier last month, Dassault had emerged as the lowest bidder to supply 126 fighter jets to the Indian Air Force.

According to reports, Reliance Industries and Dassault will be for partnering in defence and homeland security sector in India. RIL’s aerospace & security division is headed by Vivek Lall, who has been closely associated with the medium multi-role combat aircraft (MMRCA) deal.

Dassault had emerged as the lowest bidder to supply fighter jets to the Indian Air Force. India awarded the $10.4 bn deal to Dassault Rafale for the contract for 126 multi-role combat planes early this year. Eurofighter was another short-listed bidder.

India had shortlisted the Rafale and Eurofighter Typhoon in April, when it rejected bids from US manufacturers Lockheed Martin Corp and Boeing Co, as well as Saab AB and OAO United Aircraft Corp. The country is buying the fighters to replace an aging fleet of Russian MiG-21s and Dassault Mirage 2000s.
          Source: http://www.yourmoneysite.com/news/20...-aviation.html

This indicates that the deal is sealed ... Or anyone here thinks there is still a chance for EF to make an apperance ???

Comment

• Originally posted by commander View Post
            This indicates that the deal is sealed ... Or anyone here thinks there is still a chance for EF to make an apperance ???
            Unsure about the bolded bit.

Reliance signing deals with Dassault, is an independent deal.

Why is Cameron still pushing as recent as 3 days ago..

Karan Thapar:Now as you have said that this is a special relationship and Britain put a lot of store on winning the Indian jet fighter deal and felt snubbed when it went to Rafale. Does the typhoon still stand a chance or have you come to accept that this one has gone to Rafale?

David Cameron:Well of course we are disappointed by what has happened but we still think that typhoon is the best aircraft, it is the best value, has the best capabilities, the longest life and the rest of it was still press... the case.. and it would be for the Indians to decide what they eventually want.

Karan Thapar:So you still think that there is a chance that they may take the typhoon?

David Cameron:Very much it's up to the Indian government. There has been a setback with the initial look at Rafale but we will go on pressing the case. This is a very very strong aircraft and we believe that people will see the logic. But that's for the Indian government to decide.
            Wish we could locate that complaint Reddy filed on Feb 27, a glance at that will make it much more clear.

Thing is its good this was brought up BEFORE the deal went through rather than after.
            Last edited by Double Edge; 13 Mar 12,, 18:25.

Comment

• I think it is just another negotiating tactic by MOD to ruthlessly press Dassault to concede on certain demands during the negotiation stage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                Unsure about the bolded bit.

Reliance signing deals with Dassault, is an independent deal.

Why is Cameron still pushing as recent as 3 days ago..

Wish we could locate that complaint Reddy filed on Feb 27, a glance at that will make it much more clear.

Thing is its good this was brought up BEFORE the deal went through rather than after.
                Are Brit's not ashamed to try to close the deal after the 'AID' controversy ??? Moreover If they do press the UPA govt I don't think RS or LS would approve the deal to go through ....

Comment

• Britain ending $1.6 billion aid to India

Finally

LONDON: Britain is winding down its aid programme to India, International Development Secretary Andrew Mitchell told The Sunday Times newspaper.

Britain has spent Ł1 billion ($1.6 billion, 1.2 billion euros) on aid programmes in India over the past five years, with another Ł600 million committed until 2015.

However, there is little prospect of that package being renewed as India's economy booms.

"We are walking the last mile with them," Mitchell said.

"I completely understand why people question the aid programme to India and we questioned it ourselves.

"That's why we reviewed every aspect of it when we came into government and changed it fundamentally. The fact is we didn't mess around... We won't be there for ever."

Prime Minister David Cameron has faced calls to cut the aid handouts after a series of perceived snubs from the former jewel in the crown of the British empire.

London was stunned in February when New Delhi announced a big contract to buy French warplanes instead of the UK-backed Eurofighter Typhoon, despite intense efforts by the British government to boost trade.

Cameron -- who led a huge business delegation to India soon after taking office in 2010 -- has pledged to press New Delhi to reverse its decision on the warplanes.

Britain faces another austerity budget on Wednesday in a bid to rein in Britain's deficit. However, the international development budget has been ramped up.

The government plans to enshrine in law Cameron's pledge to spend 0.7 per cent of the budget on foreign aid.

A YouGov survey in The Sunday Times found that 66 per cent thought Britain spent too much on foreign aid and 69 per cent thought Britain should stop giving aid to India. YouGov polled 1,727 adults on Thursday and Friday.

Aid to Russia and China has also been subject to the axe since Mitchell took over his brief in May 2010.

"We expect value for every single pound. If we don't see results, we are absolutely ruthless in stopping money," he said.
                  Source: Britain ending $1.6 billion aid to India

Comment

• Originally posted by commander View Post
                    And don't be surprised if India declines to do any more trade deals with Britain. This is a case of cutting off one's nose in spite.

Comment

• Gods, the UK really thought India would buy the Typhoon just because it was the UK's plane?!

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                        Gods, the UK really thought India would buy the Typhoon just because it was the UK's plane?!
                        Yup .. Just because they have sent us aid they expected us to buy their birds... I think it should have been reported as

"Britain ending $1.6 billion *bribe* to India"

Comment

• Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                          And don't be surprised if India declines to do any more trade deals with Britain. This is a case of cutting off one's nose in spite.
                          Why would India decline trade deals with Britain?
                          Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                          -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

• Originally posted by Tronic View Post
                            Can you figure that out for yourself?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tronic View Post
                              Seconded.

So that makes two of us.

BM ?

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                                Gods, the UK really thought India would buy the Typhoon just because it was the UK's plane?!
                                Indeed, now why would they have gotten that impression.

Originally posted by commander View Post
                                Yup .. Just because they have sent us aid they expected us to buy their birds... I think it should have been reported as

"Britain ending $1.6 billion *bribe* to India"
                                If the understanding was send money to A and expectation created to receive payment from B for other services.

This reflects badly on India. The Brits are just working the system.

Either that or this is an elaborate CYA to explain away a lost deal.
                                Last edited by Double Edge; 18 Mar 12,, 19:11.

Comment

Working...
                                X