No announcement yet.

What is up with the F-35? Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-35C's from the 'Salty Dogs' and the 'Grim Reapers' aboard USS George Washington.

http://www.combataircraft.net/2016/0...rts-for-f-35c/

Comment

• Originally posted by citanon View Post
      Especially since the gear on the F35 is apparently even groovier than the public was first told.

Two examples that were recently hinted at:
      • Not only does the radar on the F35 do electronic attack, it can actually inject code into enemy systems to do cyber attack.
      • Not only is the passive EWR on the F35 able to geolocate emitters, it might be able to find enemy aircraft by radio waves bounced off of them from ambient sources.

Having the Russians get a lookie loo at this plane's capabilities as a buy in for Erdogan would be an absolute disaster.
      Erdogan will just continue cycling through his absurd revolving door of geopolitical friends; by 2020, he'll probably being sharing the stage with Bibi (or whatever Likudnik loon that succeeds him) shouting about the twin menaces of the Safavid empire and the New Tsar.

Comment

• A news report: F-35C aboard CVN 73.
        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vGc4Npg1oy0

Comment

• A nice high Rez photo of C's on deck.
          http://www.navy.mil/management/photo...-CQ428-250.JPG

Comment

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
            A news report: F-35C aboard CVN 73.
            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vGc4Npg1oy0
            Sounds like the Navy is warming up to the Stubby.

Comment

• Article: GW welcomes the F-35C Lightning II.
              https://washington73.wordpress.com/2...35c-lightning/

Comment

• Originally posted by citanon View Post
                Sounds like the Navy is warming up to the Stubby.
                I imagine that they'll be more than warming up to it once they start teaming with other surface and air elements and start to realise how much the aircraft can increase the sensor footprint and serve as array extenders - let alone the capabilty to act in the electronic attack role to enhance the Growlers.

Game changer is an understatement here - its about time too as it makes the loons who reflexively opposed suddenly realise that what they were being fed by the detractors has always been flawed and reinforces how much the reflexive detractors actually knew about the new sensor and electronic management paradigms

Crap project management - but thats being sorted as well. BZ to the entire team for staying the course.

The day that the vested interest congressmen/women who were sacrificing national capability over local industry pushes get invited to a proper exercise so that they can see that the difference in capability is night and day would be one where I'd love to be a fly on the wall. Those people should be publicly eviscerated as long and as frequently as possible to reinforce how much they didn't know and why it would have been better for them and their constituents to be better informed rather than jumping on the bandwagon of negativity

/controlled rant off
                Linkeden:
                http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
                http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by gf0012-aust View Post
                  I imagine that they'll be more than warming up to it once they start teaming with other surface and air elements and start to realise how much the aircraft can increase the sensor footprint and serve as array extenders - let alone the capabilty to act in the electronic attack role to enhance the Growlers.

Game changer is an understatement here - its about time too as it makes the loons who reflexively opposed suddenly realise that what they were being fed by the detractors has always been flawed and reinforces how much the reflexive detractors actually knew about the new sensor and electronic management paradigms

Crap project management - but thats being sorted as well. BZ to the entire team for staying the course.

The day that the vested interest congressmen/women who were sacrificing national capability over local industry pushes get invited to a proper exercise so that they can see that the difference in capability is night and day would be one where I'd love to be a fly on the wall. Those people should be publicly eviscerated as long and as frequently as possible to reinforce how much they didn't know and why it would have been better for them and their constituents to be better informed rather than jumping on the bandwagon of negativity

/controlled rant off
                  As if on cue : http://www.defenseone.com/technology...arfare/130812/

Comment

• Originally posted by Dazed View Post
                    The version of the software coming on the F-35F "I swear, sir, the plane called me an idiot and ejected me!"

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                      The version of the software coming on the F-35F "I swear, sir, the plane called me an idiot and ejected me!"
                      Pretty sure this was posted before but hey why not post it again:

F-35 Delayed After Fourth Prototype Becomes Self-Aware And Has To Be Destroyed
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                        Pretty sure this was posted before but hey why not post it again:

F-35 Delayed After Fourth Prototype Becomes Self-Aware And Has To Be Destroyed
                        Next movie on SyFy... ;)

Comment

• Impressive

Navy F-35C Landed So Precisely, It Tore Up a Runway

Before seven of the Navy’s carrier-variant F-35 Joint Strike Fighters embarked aboard the carrier USS George Washington for a third and final round of developmental testing, they completed a required ashore training period, practicing landings at Choctaw Naval Outlying Field near Pensacola, Florida.

The landings went well — maybe a little too well.

“They were landing in the same spot on the runway every time, tearing up where the hook touches down,” Vice Adm. Mike Shoemaker, head of Naval Air Forces, told an audience at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, D.C., on Thursday. “So we quickly realized, we needed to either fix the runway or adjust, put some variants in the system. So that’s how precise this new system is.”

The new system in question is called Delta Flight Path, a built-in F-35C technology that controls glide slope and minimizes the number of variables pilots must monitor as they complete arrested carrier landings. A parallel system known as MAGIC CARPET, short for Maritime Augmented Guidance with Integrated Controls for Carrier Approach and Recovery Precision Enabling Technologies, is being developed for use with the Navy’s F/A-18 E/F Super Hornets and EA-18G Growlers. Together, these systems may allow carriers to operate with fewer tankers, leaving more room for other aircraft, Shoemaker said.

Military.com reported on the implications of this new landing technology from the carrier George Washington earlier this week, as the first operational pilot-instructors with Strike Fighter Squadron 101, out of Oceana, Virginia, began daytime carrier qualifications on the aircraft. On Thursday, Shoemaker had an update on the ongoing carrier tests.

Of about 100 F-35C arrested landings were completed on the carrier, he said, 80 percent engaged the No. 3 wire, meaning the aircraft had touched down at the ideal spot. As of Monday, there had been zero so-called bolters, when the aircraft misses an arresting wire and must circle the carrier for another attempt.

“I think that’s going to give us the ability to look at the way we work up and expand the number of sorties. I think it will change the way we operate around the ship … in terms of the number of tankers you have to have up, daytime and nighttime,” he said. “I think that will give us a lot of flexibility in the air wing in the way we use those strike fighters.”

Tankers, or in-air refueling aircraft, must be ready when aircraft make arrested landings in case they run low on fuel during landing attempts. Fewer bolters, therefore, means a reduced tanker requirement.

“Right now, we configure maybe six to eight tankers aboard the ship,” Shoemaker said. “I don’t think we need … that many. That will give us flexibility on our strike fighter numbers, increase the Growler numbers, which I know we’re going to do, and probably E-2D [Advanced Hawkeye carrier-launched radar aircraft] as well.”

The F-35C’s last developmental testing phase is set to wrap up Aug. 23. MAGIC CARPET is expected to be introduced to the fleet in 2019, officials have said.
                          I thought JPALS was the landing system and delta Flight Path the "Cruise Control"?
                          Last edited by Gun Grape; 19 Aug 16,, 18:43.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                            Impressive

I thought JPALS was the landing system and delta Flight Path the "Cruise Control"?
                            Impressive.

My understanding is the Delta Flight Path puts the F-35C at the right speed and orientation towards the carrier while all the pilot has to do is push/pull the stick to move his fighter up/down in relation to the glide path according to the instructions he is receiving from the LSO and the meatball. And the stick at that point is not coupled to the regular control surfaces, if the pilot pushes the stick down, the F-35Cs computers will determine how best to get the fighter lower within the slope using thrust, flaps, control surfaces, whatever.
                            Last edited by JA Boomer; 19 Aug 16,, 19:04.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                              Impressive
                              This whole program is going to be akin to the F-X program that resulted in the F-15 Eagle: Derided as a stupidly expensive boondoggle, with subsystems failing to perform, again at huge expense, beset on all sides by criticism...

...only to turn into a world-beating weapons platform that was shockingly, almost scarily advanced.

Heck, we don't have have to reach all the way back to the F-X program. Look at the ATF program that spawned the F-22.
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• A video of C's aboard GW.
                                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=geGG3vstfO0

Comment

Working...
                                X