This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Versus View Post
    Yep, that's the plan. An RC build from scratch. However, I've checked the prices yesterday, some things went up and some are not available (pending for tax and custom fees or are simply out of stock) so I don't know how long it will take me to build the thing. I was thinking to go with small steps and gradually progress towards more complex stuff, so the first airplane would be a glider (sailplane), small, hand launched with no control (free flyer as we call it here), than the bigger sailplane,controlled sailplane, powered sailplane and than the RC airplane. Constrains are many, knowledge and budget being at the top and than materials and machinery/tools being secondary. But I am learning everyday and I am determined to overcome them and get the design airborne. I will make a thread about it that will follow the progress, most likely tomorrow.

Thanks for the advices,Tharos and Chogy much appreciated.
    If this is your first attempt on scratch building a RC plane then I suggest you start with a simple trainer plane with high wing and rudder elevator only. Later on if you think you need ailerons then you can cut them from the same wing. You will learn how to do this as you progress. The cheapest and most exciting way to do this is that you buy a full size plan from many sellers here in US and Europe as well. Check the links below. You can also enlarge or even make those plans smaller.

Get yourself needed balsa and Plywood and start cutting. You won't need too many tools to do this. A set of small tools from Hobby outlets in the net or local shops will meet your need for start. Good lock to you and let me know if I can help I have over 20 years of building and flying RC planes under my belt.

don Smith plans Precision Cut Kits

Nick Ziroli plans http://www.ziroliplans.com/ziroliplans/welcome.html

Comment

• nvm

Comment

• Originally posted by Aryajet View Post
        Question about B-17 flying fortress.

I stiil watch and enjoy 12 O'clock High (yah kinda old school) and many times I've noticed a box frame looking device which looks like a short ladder located on the bulkhead right behind pilot and copilot seats. While flying this thing seems continuously sliding left to right and vs. I've checked the net many times but no answer to my curiosity. What is that thing?
        pic?

Comment

I stiil watch and enjoy 12 O'clock High (yah kinda old school) and many times I've noticed a box frame looking device which looks like a short ladder located on the bulkhead right behind pilot and copilot seats. While flying this thing seems continuously sliding left to right and vs. I've checked the net many times but no answer to my curiosity. What is that thing?
          Originally posted by zraver View Post
          pic?
          It might very well be a gyroscope.

Comment

I think you might be looking through the lower end of the top .50 Cal turret, which is just aft and above the pilot and co-pilot. Without seeing the view you are referring to, it's kind of hard to think of it being anything else.

Comment

• Originally posted by desertswo View Post
              I think you might be looking through the lower end of the top .50 Cal turret, which is just aft and above the pilot and co-pilot. Without seeing the view you are referring to, it's kind of hard to think of it being anything else.
              I'm with desertswo on this one; there WAS a dorsal twin-fifty turret just behind the cockpit in a Sperry electro-hydraulicaclly operated turret, and it would've been moving around a lot ("sliding left to right and vs.") in the middle of a firefight. IIRC, the navigator and/or radio operator had to man the turret once they reached German airspace.
              "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

after watching the film, It is the top gun turret.
                Last edited by junoth1001; 23 Aug 13,, 08:47.

Comment

• It was manned by the flight engineer. The radio operator operated the manual dorsal single .50 call.

The bombardier manned the chin turret in later models.

The bombardier & navigator manned the cheek .50s on earlier models.

Attached Files
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

If this is your first attempt on scratch building a RC plane then I suggest you start with a simple trainer plane with high wing and rudder elevator only. Later on if you think you need ailerons then you can cut them from the same wing. You will learn how to do this as you progress. The cheapest and most exciting way to do this is that you buy a full size plan from many sellers here in US and Europe as well. Check the links below. You can also enlarge or even make those plans smaller.

Get yourself needed balsa and Plywood and start cutting. You won't need too many tools to do this. A set of small tools from Hobby outlets in the net or local shops will meet your need for start. Good lock to you and let me know if I can help I have over 20 years of building and flying RC planes under my belt.

don Smith plans Precision Cut Kits

Nick Ziroli plans http://www.ziroliplans.com/ziroliplans/welcome.html
                    Thanks for the advices, I am sure that I will need help with this one. The thread that follows this project is under the modeler's corner (Poorman aero is the name). I got all the materials for building, problem is that I ran out of free time (I work in the video game industry and the project we work on just got more complicated so I bring my work home). Another downer is the weather, we had a heat wave that simply sucks all the energy out. But good news is that it is getting colder now and I've finished all the assets for the demo of the game so now I have some free time. As soon as I make a move on this project I will post an update. Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.

Comment

Gentelmen,

I appreciate all your kind respond.

Of course I understand I'm talking about a movie in which director might add something to the scene to induce more drama which might not exist in real world.

Here it is, found in U-tube, you'll see this thing that I'm talking about once in 0.38 and several time from 0.50 to 1.07, it is right behind William Shatner's seat sliding from left to right. What is it?

Bombs Away in 12 O'Clock High tv show Shatner - YouTube

Comment

Gentelmen,

I appreciate all your kind respond.

Of course I understand I'm talking about a movie in which director might add something to the scene to induce more drama which might not exist in real world.

Here it is, found in U-tube, you'll see this thing that I'm talking about once in 0.38 and several time from 0.50 to 1.07, it is right behind William Shatner's seat sliding from left to right. What is it?

Bombs Away in 12 O'Clock High tv show Shatner - YouTube
                        One more time; to quote stitch: "a dorsal twin-fifty turret just behind the cockpit in a Sperry electro-hydraulicaclly operated turret, and it would've been moving around a lot ("sliding left to right and vs.") in the middle of a firefight."

Comment

• Originally posted by deserter View Post
                          One more time; to quote stitch: "a dorsal twin-fifty turret just behind the cockpit in a Sperry electro-hydraulicaclly operated turret, and it would've been moving around a lot ("sliding left to right and vs.") in the middle of a firefight."
                          Deserter Sir,

When I read Dorsal in Stich's post my mind traveled all the back to front of the vertical stab on top of the fuselage and thought there might not be connection in between. Now it is all clear and appreciate your respond.

BTW: Looking at the pic. AR posted I think I wouldn't mind flying as Ball Turret Gunner few times, it has panoramic view. :D

Comment

• Ugh what a name change.
                            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• BTW: Looking at the pic. AR posted I think I wouldn't mind flying as Ball Turret Gunner few times, it has panoramic view. :D

I think not.....

Remembering World War Two Airmen: Ball Turret Gunners---- A Breed Apart
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Deserter Sir,

When I read Dorsal in Stich's post my mind traveled all the back to front of the vertical stab on top of the fuselage and thought there might not be connection in between. Now it is all clear and appreciate your respond.

BTW: Looking at the pic. AR posted I think I wouldn't mind flying as Ball Turret Gunner few times, it has panoramic view. :D
                                Uh, I've never "deserted" anything. I was a US Navy Surface Warfare Officer, or "SWO" for 25 years. I now live in the Sonora Desert. So I am "desertswo."

Comment

Working...
                                X