• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TopHatter
    replied
    Originally posted by Steven Jaime View Post
    Are you the Mod?
    Welcome to the forum Steven.

As you have probably noticed by now, the WAB can be and is self-regulated by the Senior Contributors when needed, as the Mods can't be everywhere at once.
    Speaking of the Senior Members, do please remember that you are the newcomer there. Telling them if they can't handle something that they should "get out" is not a good idea.

A suggestion for enjoying your time here, read this post carefully. It's a great way to get a feel for the ebb and flow of the board.
    http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/wab...val-guide.html
    Last edited by TopHatter; 10 Jun 13,, 19:24.

Leave a comment:

• Chogy
    replied
    I did not fight the newer Hornet variant. The original excelled at high AOA, but was a bit draggy and underpowered. We simply avoided the slow fight with them, or let our missiles do the slow fighting instead. ;)

Leave a comment:

• Steven Jaime
    replied
    Originally posted by Chogy View Post
    No, I flew the F-15C. Fought Hornets (the original) many times.
    Ahh, so how was it like fighting the C/D Hornets while flying the F-15C?

Leave a comment:

• Chogy
    replied
    No, I flew the F-15C. Fought Hornets (the original) many times.

Leave a comment:

• Steven Jaime
    replied
    Originally posted by Chogy View Post
    Steven, welcome to WAB. This forum is different from 98% of the other military/aviation forums out there in that we rarely embrace the "Hornet vs. Su-30" sorts of threads that abound on the others. While aircraft and missile metrics are interesting and can be fun, they really don't tell the true story about how a force is employed in combat.

What we see in an airshow bears little resemblance to real world combat. Airshow maneuverings (cobras, etc) are designed to sell aircraft to foreign heads of State, and to wow the citizenry.

Even 25 years ago, we realized that advances in sensors and weapons has essentially relegated the "dogfight" to an honored place in history. The purpose of the turning fight, as developed as it was in WW1, was to get on the enemy's tail and employ a gun on him. This held true up through the Korean war. But we no longer need to do this. Did you know there hasn't been a U.S. AA gun kill since Vietnam, excluding an A-10 killing a helicopter? And that throughout Desert Storm, most fights were over within 270 degrees of turn. Employment was high-speed dashes, acquire, short, sharp turns, fire, get out..

There are some excellent threads here that discuss this evolution in detail. One among many...

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/mil...actor-war.html

The history of the turning fight has immense inertia; designers still seek hyper-maneuverability, and the F-22 still has a gun. Fortunately, more forward-thinking engineers and military men realized that the turning fight could be offloaded into the missile. Let it do all the work! Besides, the human body has a tough time dealing with 25+ G's.
    Thanks,

So are you a former Hornet pilot?

Leave a comment:

• Chogy
    replied
    Steven, welcome to WAB. This forum is different from 98% of the other military/aviation forums out there in that we rarely embrace the "Hornet vs. Su-30" sorts of threads that abound on the others. While aircraft and missile metrics are interesting and can be fun, they really don't tell the true story about how a force is employed in combat.

What we see in an airshow bears little resemblance to real world combat. Airshow maneuverings (cobras, etc) are designed to sell aircraft to foreign heads of State, and to wow the citizenry.

Even 25 years ago, we realized that advances in sensors and weapons has essentially relegated the "dogfight" to an honored place in history. The purpose of the turning fight, as developed as it was in WW1, was to get on the enemy's tail and employ a gun on him. This held true up through the Korean war. But we no longer need to do this. Did you know there hasn't been a U.S. AA gun kill since Vietnam, excluding an A-10 killing a helicopter? And that throughout Desert Storm, most fights were over within 270 degrees of turn. Employment was high-speed dashes, acquire, short, sharp turns, fire, get out..

There are some excellent threads here that discuss this evolution in detail. One among many...

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/mil...actor-war.html

The history of the turning fight has immense inertia; designers still seek hyper-maneuverability, and the F-22 still has a gun. Fortunately, more forward-thinking engineers and military men realized that the turning fight could be offloaded into the missile. Let it do all the work! Besides, the human body has a tough time dealing with 25+ G's.

Leave a comment:

• Steven Jaime
    replied
    Originally posted by Doktor View Post
    Should I be?

This is not a chat room, nor a place where people hold measuring contests.
    Ok got it

Leave a comment:

• Doktor
    replied
    Should I be?

This is not a chat room, nor a place where people hold measuring contests.

Leave a comment:

• Steven Jaime
    replied
    This is not a measuring contest.

If you have something valuable to add to the discussion, you are more then welcomed.
    Are you the Mod?

Leave a comment:

• Doktor
    replied
    This is not a measuring contest.

If you have something valuable to add to the discussion, you are more then welcomed.

Leave a comment:

• Steven Jaime
    replied
    Originally posted by GGTharos View Post
    No, I mean the 9M. The 9X is more trouble with extra trouble on top. In case your imagination didn't come up with this one, you can slew anything that's slewable with JHMCS, it just needs to be slaved to it, which the software may or may not do (these days there's not much point since the 9X is replacing previous sidewinder versions - the 120 can be aimed with JHMCS as well).

I know more about the 9X than you ever will, thanks :)

How about if you know more about the Super Hornet? I'll know much more than you :)

Leave a comment:

• Steven Jaime
    replied
    Originally posted by zraver View Post
    Yup, welcome to WAB. Your info isn't really new info, we already have it. Raw numbers don't matter as much as insight and experience.
    Ok Thanks,

Steven

Leave a comment:

• GGTharos
    replied
    Don't you mean AIM-9x? The AIM-9x infront of your target is in bug trouble.
    No, I mean the 9M. The 9X is more trouble with extra trouble on top. In case your imagination didn't come up with this one, you can slew anything that's slewable with JHMCS, it just needs to be slaved to it, which the software may or may not do (these days there's not much point since the 9X is replacing previous sidewinder versions - the 120 can be aimed with JHMCS as well).

The AIM-9x has a 90 degree angel of maneuvering. AIM-9x is very agile and is the best WVR air to air missile. I had to copy and paste my sources on the AIM-9x from another forum because there i had substantially all of my sources about the AIM-9x. I'm showing you how good the AIM-9x is and how it works. Here's my sources from the other forum.
    I know more about the 9X than you ever will, thanks :)
    Last edited by GGTharos; 09 Jun 13,, 14:16.

Leave a comment:

• zraver
    replied
    Seriously?
    Yup, welcome to WAB. Your info isn't really new info, we already have it. Raw numbers don't matter as much as insight and experience.

Leave a comment:

• Steven Jaime
    replied
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]33105[/ATTACH]
    Seriously?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X