Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beez26
    replied
    I dont know much about the SU-25 but in all honesty I would pick the A-10 it just looks mean!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• ArmchairGeneral
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
    He pretty much said that when he asked the question.

It's pretty cool when A-10 or Tornado guys chime in during an air-to-air shot debrief at Red Flag or something like that. Everybody's head turns when the Hog driver says, "Stop, valid for kill..." At that point an Aggressor pilot usually starts sliding down in his seat.

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy
    replied
    He pretty much said that when he asked the question.

It's pretty cool when A-10 or Tornado guys chime in during an air-to-air shot debrief at Red Flag or something like that. Everybody's head turns when the Hog driver says, "Stop, valid for kill..." At that point an Aggressor pilot usually starts sliding down in his seat.

Leave a comment:

• ASG
    replied
    The A-10 or the Su-25 were not meant for A2A combat. The only purpose of heaters that each carry is for self-defense. In real world, none of these would knowingly engage each other or other aircraft(except may be choppers) unless threatened.

Leave a comment:

• Kommunist
    replied
    Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
    I can think of at least one definite advantage the A-10 would have in a dogfight: it's canopy. The A-10's pilot has full 360 vision, unlike the Su-25.
    Agreed. Just for arguments sake, wouldn't the awkward position of the engines block some field of vision in the 6 o' clock region?

Leave a comment:

• jlvfr
    replied
    Originally posted by Kommunist View Post
    Okay, so the Mach part is finally settled.
    But how about A2A? I know that both are CAS aircraft, but SUPPOSE if both came up against each other, which one would be the better platform to be in? At least on paper/theoretically?
    I can think of at least one definite advantage the A-10 would have in a dogfight: it's canopy. The A-10's pilot has full 360 vision, unlike the Su-25.

Leave a comment:

• Kommunist
    replied
    Okay, so the Mach part is finally settled.
    But how about A2A? I know that both are CAS aircraft, but SUPPOSE if both came up against each other, which one would be the better platform to be in? At least on paper/theoretically?

Leave a comment:

• Andrey Egorov
    replied
    OK, fine... maybe later in production supersonic capabilities were achieved. But it's clearly stated in that book, that 1 Mach is the last thing needed for this bird. Its 25mm titanium bathtub or 4 tons of loadweight are much more useful in attack dive.

Leave a comment:

• avon1944
    replied
    RE: A-10 Vs Su-25

Originally posted by Andrey Egorov View Post
    Or maybe Discovery mixed up 1000 km/h (0,82M) with M itself?

Or maybe Discovery mixed up 1000 km/h (0,82M) with M itself
    That is not what the Blue Angle pilots were saying when they were discussing what a surprise flying the Su-25 was to them. They distinctly stated the Su-25 was capable of going faster than Mach 1.0.

Adrian

Leave a comment:

• jlvfr
    replied
    Originally posted by Stitch View Post
    I realize it's not straight, but the trailing edge is; and even wiki says it is of "moderate sweep", not enough to qualify it as a supersonic airfoil.
    True, but it might be enough to, maybe in a shallow dive, with an empty plane, to hit Mach 1...

Leave a comment:

• Kommunist
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
    B-52: America's oldest supersonic intercontinental bomber

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy
    replied
    B-52: America's oldest supersonic intercontinental bomber

Leave a comment:

• Kommunist
    replied
    Originally posted by Stitch View Post
    I realize it's not straight, but the trailing edge is; and even wiki says it is of "moderate sweep", not enough to qualify it as a supersonic airfoil.
    Ya, its not meant for supersonic flight, but may be it can do it, with possible damage to the airframe.

Leave a comment:

• Stitch
    replied
    Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
    The leading edge of the wing is not straight...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Su-25
    Last edited by Stitch; 24 Dec 08,, 16:52. Reason: Punctuation

Leave a comment:

• bugs
    replied
    Or maybe Discovery mixed up 1000 km/h (0,82M) with M itself?
    you might be right about that
    Last edited by bugs; 24 Dec 08,, 16:14.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X