No announcement yet.

A10 vs SU-25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or maybe Discovery mixed up 1000 km/h (0,82M) with M itself?
    We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey Egorov View Post
      you might be right about that
      Last edited by bugs; 24 Dec 08,, 16:14.

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
        The leading edge of the wing is not straight...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Su-25
        I realize it's not straight, but the trailing edge is; and even wiki says it is of "moderate sweep", not enough to qualify it as a supersonic airfoil.
        Last edited by Stitch; 24 Dec 08,, 16:52. Reason: Punctuation
        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
          I realize it's not straight, but the trailing edge is; and even wiki says it is of "moderate sweep", not enough to qualify it as a supersonic airfoil.
          Ya, its not meant for supersonic flight, but may be it can do it, with possible damage to the airframe.
          Everyone has opinions, only some count.

Comment

B-52: America's oldest supersonic intercontinental bomber

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
              B-52: America's oldest supersonic intercontinental bomber

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                True, but it might be enough to, maybe in a shallow dive, with an empty plane, to hit Mach 1...

Comment

RE: A-10 Vs Su-25

Or maybe Discovery mixed up 1000 km/h (0,82M) with M itself
                  That is not what the Blue Angle pilots were saying when they were discussing what a surprise flying the Su-25 was to them. They distinctly stated the Su-25 was capable of going faster than Mach 1.0.

Adrian

Comment

OK, fine... maybe later in production supersonic capabilities were achieved. But it's clearly stated in that book, that 1 Mach is the last thing needed for this bird. Its 25mm titanium bathtub or 4 tons of loadweight are much more useful in attack dive.
                    We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

Okay, so the Mach part is finally settled.
                      But how about A2A? I know that both are CAS aircraft, but SUPPOSE if both came up against each other, which one would be the better platform to be in? At least on paper/theoretically?

Comment

Originally posted by Kommunist View Post
                        Okay, so the Mach part is finally settled.
                        But how about A2A? I know that both are CAS aircraft, but SUPPOSE if both came up against each other, which one would be the better platform to be in? At least on paper/theoretically?
                        I can think of at least one definite advantage the A-10 would have in a dogfight: it's canopy. The A-10's pilot has full 360º vision, unlike the Su-25.

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                          I can think of at least one definite advantage the A-10 would have in a dogfight: it's canopy. The A-10's pilot has full 360º vision, unlike the Su-25.
                          Agreed. Just for arguments sake, wouldn't the awkward position of the engines block some field of vision in the 6 o' clock region?

Comment

The A-10 or the Su-25 were not meant for A2A combat. The only purpose of heaters that each carry is for self-defense. In real world, none of these would knowingly engage each other or other aircraft(except may be choppers) unless threatened.
                            Self-control is the chief element in self-respect, and self-respect is the chief element in courage.

Comment

He pretty much said that when he asked the question.

It's pretty cool when A-10 or Tornado guys chime in during an air-to-air shot debrief at Red Flag or something like that. Everybody's head turns when the Hog driver says, "Stop, valid for kill..." At that point an Aggressor pilot usually starts sliding down in his seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                                He pretty much said that when he asked the question.

It's pretty cool when A-10 or Tornado guys chime in during an air-to-air shot debrief at Red Flag or something like that. Everybody's head turns when the Hog driver says, "Stop, valid for kill..." At that point an Aggressor pilot usually starts sliding down in his seat.
                                I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X