Clear All

North Caucasus : Problems of Helicopter Support in Mountains
    by C.W. Blandy
    Defence Academy of the United Kingdom
    August 2007

Comment

I agree the Ka-52 is a beauty

Comment

I thought exactly the same thing. Australia should buy some simply cause of how good they look. The Tiger looks so gangly, cheaply made and unwieldly by comparison.

Funny thing with Russian wares. Their armored vehicles, warships and the rest or generally very utilitarian and quite ugly but they sure build their birds pretty.
        The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

Originally posted by chakos View Post
          Funny thing with Russian wares. Their armored vehicles, warships and the rest or generally very utilitarian and quite ugly but they sure build their birds pretty.
          Not so! At least, not in my opinion.

Soviet warships have almost always had a grace and style all their own. The Kirov-class being the epitome of that.

And while I wholeheartedly agree that their aircraft are, on the whole, extremely easy on the eyes (Blackjack and Backfire especially), there's always a clunker or two: Mi-28 Havoc. Talk about a 3-bagger :(

(Also the Helix and Hormone, compact but butt-ugly!)
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

See i would consider the Kirov to be the exception to the rule. It is a gorgeous warship. But look at the Sovromenny, the Moskva (vomits), the older Kara and Kresta class cruisers. All hideous looking warships.
            The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

my opinion

the apachee looks way meaner then the russian,the russian helo looks like a civilian beechcraft or cesna with stubs and rotors,to plain.

Comment

Originally posted by biteasaur View Post
                the apachee looks way meaner then the russian,the russian helo looks like a civilian beechcraft or cesna with stubs and rotors,to plain.
                True it does, but it is uglier then this. It very sexy and smooth. I bet if it had the same weapons and other equipments like the apachee it would be better. There are few weapons that look good and this KA-52 is one of them.

Comment

Russian aircraft generally look good. Except the Tu-22.

Comment

anybody have any pics of the chinese attack helo,also the b1 bomber looks better then the white swan tu22,its just sleeker looking.

Comment

• The Tu-160 is the "white swan" not Tu-22. And Hunter said "except" the Tu-22.

Comment

well i guess i need to ask for your humble forgiveness,i got the 2 mixed up.

Comment

• Oleg Antonov used to say: "Ugly airplane won't fly". Andrey Tupolev opposed: "With good engine even the gate will fly". :)
                          We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrey Egorov View Post
                            Oleg Antonov used to say: "Ugly airplane won't fly". Andrey Tupolev opposed: "With good engine even the gate will fly". :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrey Egorov View Post
                              Oleg Antonov used to say: "Ugly airplane won't fly". Andrey Tupolev opposed: "With good engine even the gate will fly". :)
                              But is it a good looking gate?
                              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                                But is it a good looking gate?
                                yeah, and painted Khokhloma all the way from nose tip to the tail :))

Actually, both of them failed their statements, since most of Antonov's airplanes are pretty ugly(though most of them damn impressive) but mighty freighters and Tupolev's graceful birds (Tu22M1-2-3 falls off as gracefull) were always short on engine power. A grin of fortune...
                                We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

Working...
                                X