X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
    EDO OSE in 1946

[ATTACH]46085[/ATTACH]
    We have a winner, give that man a Kewpie dolls.
    Craig Johnson

Comment

• When was the only time that a US aircraft scored an air to air kill with a AK-47?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
        When was the only time that a US aircraft scored an air to air kill with a AK-47?
        As soon as I read that I knew a helo had to be involved but what could such a plane be? A damn biplane? In 1968? Flown by the North Vietnamese! Sure enough and I love the comments posted at the end of the story.

http://www.guns.com/2018/01/11/that-...-a-helicopter/

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
          As soon as I read that I knew a helo had to be involved but what could such a plane be? A damn biplane? In 1968? Flown by the North Vietnamese! Sure enough and I love the comments posted at the end of the story.

http://www.guns.com/2018/01/11/that-...-a-helicopter/
          You are correct Sir.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lima_Site_85

On 12 January, CIA spotters reported a four aircraft formation flying in the direction of Lima Site 85. They were Soviet-made Antonov An-2 biplanes. Two aircraft continued towards Lima Site 85, while the others turned away.[9] The Vietnam People's Air Force, in one of its few air attacks during the conflict, tried to destroy the radar at Lima Site 85. The An-2s flew over Phou Pha Thi, and their crewmen dropped 120 mm mortar shells through the aircraft's floor and then strafed their targets with 57 mm rockets mounted on the wing pods.[10] As they repeatedly attacked the facility, ground fire heavily damaged one AN-2, and it crashed into a mountainside. By now, CIA officers and U.S. controllers at Lima Site 85 had managed to contact an Air America helicopter, which was faster than the Soviet-made biplanes. The Huey pilot Captain Ted Moore sighted the remaining An-2, and promptly gave chase. As he pulled alongside, flight mechanic Glenn Woods armed with an AK-47 assault rifle opened fire and caused the biplane to crash into a ridge.[11][12]

The remaining An-2s had observed the attack from a distance and managed to escape without damage. Four Hmongs, two men and two women, had been killed by the communist attack. Nevertheless, the TSQ-81 radar and its associated equipment was undamaged.[11] Shortly afterwards, what remained of one of the An-2 biplanes was put on display in front of the That Luang Monument, Vientiane’s most important Buddhist shrine, as proof of North Vietnamese military activities in the kingdom.[13] Despite the attack, the U.S. Embassy in Vientiane and the USAF refused to alter their strategy for defending Lima Site 85. Lieutenant-Colonel Clarence F. Blanton, commander of USAF personnel at the facility, was given no authority to supervise his own perimeter or to order a retreat if they again came under attack. Throughout January and February, intelligence collected by the Hmongs confirmed that a major assault on Lima Site 85 was being prepared, but Sullivan and the U.S. military took no steps to strengthen the defenses.[14] In late February, a Combat Controller, Technical Sergeant James Gary, arrived to augment the defenses by directing air strikes.[15] He was replaced in this duty by Sergeant Roger D. Huffman on about 4 March.[16]
          Your question

Comment

• What is this?
            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
              What is this?
              Packard DR-980, Radial 9 Engine

https://airandspace.si.edu/collectio...ial-9-engine-0
              This diesel engine was designed and built under the direction of the Packard Company’s Chief Aeronautical Engineer, L. M. Woolson. The objective was to achieve greater safety and economy through the substitution of heavy oil (furnace oil) for gasoline as fuel.

Approved Type Certificate No. 43 was issued by the Department of Commerce on March 3, 1930, and the engine was publicly shown for the first time during the Detroit Aircraft Show in April 1930. Between May 25 through 28, 1931 at Jacksonville, Florida, a world's non-refueled duration flight record of 84 1/2 hours was set. The Model DR-980 won the 1931 Collier Trophy.

The Packard Diesel DR-980 was the first compression ignition, oil-burning engine flown. It powered such aircraft as the: Stinson SM-1DX Detroiter; Packard-Bellanca Pacemaker; Verville Air Coach; Ford 11-AT-1 Trimotor; Goodyear Defender airship; Towle FA-3 Flying boat; Stewart M-2 Monoplane; Waco Taper Wing; and Consolidated XPT-8A aircraft.
              "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• That is correct. I was wondering if I would have to give a hint when many would give it away like rare, different fuel, duration, smell and the like. So your turn.

Comment

• What is this plane?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                    What is this plane?

Weird
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• The Nemeth Parasol. It has a parasol wing. Not the shape of the wing but how the wing is attached to the fuselage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dazed View Post
                        The Nemeth Parasol. It has a parasol wing. Not the shape of the wing but how the wing is attached to the fuselage.
                        Correct.

Lots of interesting things about the Nemeth Parasol on this page:
                        https://disciplesofflight.com/nemeth...ange-aircraft/

What Set the Nemeth Parasol Apart?

The low aspect ratio of the Nemeth’s round wing made it quite stable in comparison to the other autogyros that were being tested elsewhere around the same time. In addition to the craft being able to achieve a near-parachute landing, the pilot was able to maintain full control at low speeds, a problem aeronautical enthusiasts and engineers like Juan de la Cierva had been trying to address for years.

The Nemeth Parasol shared some characteristics with the Autogyro. It had a conventional rectangular fuselage, to which the circular wing was affixed with the help of braces, similar to high wing monoplane designs of the time. The craft had a front-mounted propeller, a rudder fitted with tail fins, and wheels under the fuselage. Nemeth omitted the pair of wings typically found on the Autogyro on the sides of the fuselage.

Comment

• What are they and what part do they share?
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	wom3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	394.9 KB
ID:	1476709Click image for larger version

Name:	WOM4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	768.6 KB
ID:	1476710
                          Last edited by Dazed; 16 Jun 18,, 17:16.

Comment

• First aircraft is a Nakajima B5N "Kate".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakajima_B5N

Second aircraft is a Aichi D3A "Val".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aichi_D3A

They both had a rear-facing 7.7mm Type 92 machine gun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_92_machine_gun

Comment

• Really close. Both were built in 1944 modified in 1969.

Comment

• Ironduke they were modified to resemble the aircraft you mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                                X