This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by glyn View Post
    Negatroid again :) Not from a kite as that would have been an unstable platform from which to take photographs.

Hint: It did not take place in France.:)
    Kite photographs did occur, sir.

Look:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ruin_edit2.jpg

San Francisco, 1906.

And the first one was in 1888.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
      Kite photographs did occur, sir.

Look:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ruin_edit2.jpg

San Francisco, 1906.

And the first one was in 1888.
      You have trumped me, young entropy! :) I was quite unaware of photography from kites. The shot whose link you gave had surprisingly good resolution.
      The answer I had been looking for was Rocketphotography. German inventor Alfred Maul patented his Fotorakete in 1903. The German army carried out secret trials in Glausnitz in Lower Silesia in 1906. When Wilbur Wright took a French photographer aloft with him in 1908 the superiority of a system that could take multiple shots made the single photo rocket a non-starter.
      Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

• Good question Glyn! Pity I have just viewed it!

Try this one...

What is going on here in the picture?
        What is unique about the structure under the B-52?
        Attached Files
        "Liberty is a thing beyond all price.

Comment

• ECM and radar testing is going on and the structure is made of wood so as not interfere with the the test results

Oh, and that's a great big honking B-52 sitting there!
          Last edited by Albany Rifles; 26 Feb 08,, 22:04. Reason: spelling
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            16 October 1912 a Bulgarian Albatros aircraft was used to perform Europe's first reconnaissance flight in combat conditions, against the Turkish lines on the Balkan peninsula, during the Balkan Wars of 1912-1913.
            Interesting. Was the recce a visual one or were cameras definitely used?

Comment

ECM and radar testing is going on and the structure is made of wood so as not interfere with the the test results

Oh, and that's a great big honking B-52 sitting there!
              Damn AR! I was hoping you were on vacation!:))

Quite correct. A electrical jolt to mimic EMP pulse and test hardening.
              A bonus point for telling us the name of the base ;)

Your question.

Comment

• Do I get a question as well for answering glyn's?

Comment

Do I get a question as well for answering glyn's?
                  Ha! Fooled you! I snuck my question in when Tin Man was still composing his! :) I will grant you a moral victory and five Brownie points.

Comment

• Originally posted by glyn View Post
                    Ha! Fooled you! I snuck my question in when Tin Man was still composing his! :) I will grant you a moral victory and five Brownie points.
                    I will use those brownie points to compose a question when you're thinking, sir.
                    :))

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                      Time for a new question...

Who made the first parachute jump, when was it, and from what altitude was it made?
                      Well c,mon then , who was it ? did i get it right ?

Comment

• Okay...whose question is it?
                        Mark Twain

Comment

• Mine.

And a hard one.

The Soviets had a delta-wing airplane in the Thirties. What was it called?

Comment

Mine.

And a hard one.

The Soviets had a delta-wing airplane in the Thirties. What was it called?
                            Actually it`s Albany Rifle`s question right now, if we are doing this correctly. My B-52 question was answered by Albany but Glyn threw one in whilst I was composing that one....Glyn made this pretty clear. I hope this clears things uo!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• This should be easy

What was the main use for drop tanks on Allied fighters of the 9th AF and 2nd TAF in Normandy?
                              Mark Twain

Comment

This should be easy

What was the main use for drop tanks on Allied fighters of the 9th AF and 2nd TAF in Normandy?
                                I think that question needs some rephrasing. Everyone knows the main use for drop tanks (on ANY plane ANYWHERE) were to provide enough fuel to fly from England to Nazi targets in Europe and have enough fuel to get back.

The problem was, they were not allowed to drop the tanks for fear they would hit a non-military target (or so it has been said). By not dropping the fuel tanks the plane's manueverability was severely reduced and resulted in a lot of losses on our side.

Finally, they were given permission to drop the auxilieary tanks when faced with enemy fighters no matter what was under them.

Our losses were drammatically reduced as the aux tanks were used only to get over Europe and they had plenty of fuel in the wing and fuselage tanks to get back.
                                Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Working...
                                X