Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RC aircraft or something? Looks quite small.

Comment

• Nope

Used by standard aircraft

Don't think of the airstrips you see

Look at the topography
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
        6 Day Rule!!!!

Okay, at FT Stewart, GA, there were earth mounds scattered throughout training areas about 40 feet long, 10 feet high and about 8 feet wide. They had a paved strip running along the entire top, like a stretch of road. These were found away from the mian trailes in clearings in the woods.

The question is: What were they for? And yes, this IS aviation related.

Hmm, Aviation right? Army aviation....I go for Helicopter gunnery positions....for Helo`s to land on and "pop up" from?????
        A wild stab!
        "Liberty is a thing beyond all price.

Comment

• The helicopter part is right, but they don't have a role in gunnery
          Mark Twain

Comment

• Surely not for pinnacle landing practice? Offloading and loading troops/supplies?

Comment

• Close enough

FT Stewart is so flat that they had to build these mounds for the helicopter pilots to practice side hill landing...i.e., placing on skid down to load/unload while keeping the other in the air. There was no natural hills for the division aviation and special operations aviation folks from Hunter Army Airfield to use.

The post is 40 miles. From the eastern boundary, which was 9 ft above sea level, the western boundary "soars" to a majestic 42 feet above sea level.
              Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                Close enough

FT Stewart is so flat that they had to build these mounds for the helicopter pilots to practice side hill landing...i.e., placing on skid down to load/unload while keeping the other in the air. There was no natural hills for the division aviation and special operations aviation folks from Hunter Army Airfield to use.

The post is 40 miles. From the eastern boundary, which was 9 ft above sea level, the western boundary "soars" to a majestic 42 feet above sea level.
                Damn, that IS flat! I guess the paved area is necessary for longevity of the structure and for safety...

Comment

• Originally posted by Tin Man View Post
                  Damn, that IS flat! I guess the paved area is necessary for longevity of the structure and for safety...

We used to say it was so the pilots could easily find the black thingys in the midst of all the green thingys!

Your question
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• :))

I will brew a question up! Thanks.

Comment

• While Tin Man is composing his question, may I try for a filler?
                      What and when was the first non-balloon aerial photography?
                      Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

• Originally posted by glyn View Post
                        While Tin Man is composing his question, may I try for a filler?
                        What and when was the first non-balloon aerial photography?
                        WW I trenches.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                          WW I trenches.
                          Negatroid, Murgatroyd! (No),:)

Comment

• Originally posted by glyn View Post
                            Negatroid, Murgatroyd! (No),:)
                            Then it must be a kite? How about a piece of France named Labruguière shot in 1888?

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                              Then it must be a kite? How about a piece of France named Labruguière shot in 1888?
                              Negatroid again :) Not from a kite as that would have been an unstable platform from which to take photographs.

Hint: It did not take place in France.:)

Comment

• 16 October 1912 a Bulgarian Albatros aircraft was used to perform Europe's first reconnaissance flight in combat conditions, against the Turkish lines on the Balkan peninsula, during the Balkan Wars of 1912-1913.
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X