The F-4 Phantom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The F-4 Phantom

The F-4 Phantom has seen more combat then most other fighters around.

I figure it desevres a thread.

It has fought all around the world.............

Indochina wars (1964-1973)
    War of Attrition (1968-1971)
    Yom Kipper/Ramhadon War (1973)
    USN strikes on Cambodia (1975?)
    Greek Turkish Conflicts (1970s-now)
    Iranina ops in Oman (1976-1977)
    Iranian ops versus Iraq (pre 1980)
    Iranian ops versus Kurds (1979-1980)
    Iran Iraq war (1980-1988)
    Israel vs. Syria (1982)
    Israeli ops vs. Hezbollah (1980s)
    Operation Desert Storm (1991)
    Iranian ops versus Taliban (late 1990s-2001)

Plus other smaller ones.........

Throught is history it has shot down many types of planes...

MiG-17F/PF/J-5 (USA/IDF)
    MiG-19/J-6 (USA/IDF/IRIAF)
    MiG-21F-13/PF/M/MF/bis (USA/IDF/IRIAF)
    MiG-23MS/MF/ML/BN/BK (IRIAF)
    Mirage F-1EQ (IRIAF)
    MiG-25PD/RB (IRIAF)
    Tu-16K (IRIAF)
    Tu-22B (IRIAF)
    SuE (IRIAF)
    J-7B (IRIAF)
    Hunter FGA-9 (IRIAF)
    Su-7 (IDF/IRIAF)
    Su-20/22M-3K/4K (IDF/IRIAF)
    Su-25K (IRIAF)
    Jaguar Gr.1 (RAF)
    Mi-24/25 (IRIAF)
    Mi-8/17 (IRIAF)
    varouis transports (An-12, An-26)

I'll talk about its upgrades/weapons...........

Greek F-4E PI-2000
    APG-65GY radar
    AIM-120B/C-5
    IRIS-T
    AGM-130
    AGM-88
    AGM-65
    AFDS
    Laser Guided Bombs

Turkish F-4E 2020 Terminator
    M-2032 radar
    AIM-7F/M
    AIM-9L/M
    Popeye I/II
    AGM-65
    Laser Guided Bombs

Iranian F-4E
    APQ-120 (upgraded for longer range)
    AIM-7E-4
    R-73E
    Kh-58
    Qadr
    Zoobins
    AGM-65
    Laser Guided Bombs

Iranian F-4D
    APQ-109
    AIM-7E-4
    R-73E
    Kh-58
    Qadr
    Zoobins
    AGM-65
    Laser Guided Bombs

Japanese F-4EJ Kai
    APG-66J
    AIM-7F/M
    AAM-3
    ASM-2
    IR Guided Bombs

Israeli F-4E 2000 Kurnass
    APG-76
    AIM-7F/M
    Python 3/4
    Popeye
    Gabriel
    AGM-88
    AGM-65
    Laser Guided Bombs
    IR Guided Bombs

German F-4F
    APG-65
    AIM-120B
    IRIS-T

South Korean F-4E
    APQ-120
    AIM-7F
    AIM-9L/M
    Popeye
    AGM-65
    Laser Guided Bombs

It's neat to note that only 4 nations have fully pulled the F-4 out of service and of those 3 bought (USA/UK/Spain) it and one had it leased (Australia).

Only two nations fly the F-4D (Korea and Iran), while most users fly the F-4E minus of course Germany who uses the F-4F.
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

The Kurnass 2000 is currently being upgraded to carry the Python V AAM, though not many flights are going on due to the British embargo on F-4 ejection seats and other parts.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

UH oh better call UPCO!
      "Pork, The Arab Kryptonite"

Comment

What's UPCO?
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

The Phantom. Proving, once again, that Ugly works, too. (Just like the A-10!)
          sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

Ugly just means more money to make it work, less money to make it pretty...

Comment

In flight she isn't ugly. Got buzzed by some in Denver once, for such a large plane she was still graceful. One of my favorite photos is a head-on of two Phantoms landing at an Israeli base with 2-3 pilots holding helmets in the foreground.

Not as graceful as a Mirage, but still pretty.
              Pa'am Tzanhan, Tamid Tzanhan.

Comment

About two months ago I saw two F-4's buzz over my house in fingertip formation. They were flying so low I could read the words Kurnass 2000 in Hebrew.

Comment

UPCO, makes the aces2 ejection seats. Far superior to Martin bakers...
                  "Pork, The Arab Kryptonite"

Comment

Funny, I could've sworn the ACES II was made by Martin-Baker. Live and Learn. On the Martin-Baker website there is a little meter that says

Lives saved to date: 7009
                    Lives saved this year: 36

Comment

My uncle was a plane captain on USS Franklin D. Roosevelt for the F-4 Phantoms, VF-14 "The Tophatters"...hence my WAB handle :)
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

As a former AME in the Navy ( VF14 by the way) and an egress augmentee in my A10 unit I have worked with both the Aces II and the Martin Baker seats. I think you are way off base by saying the Aces II is a far better seat. I think the fact that the F35 JSF is gonna be fitted with Martin baker seats says it all. Yeah the older martin bakers like the GRU models in the F4, F14, A6, EA6B dont have the different ejection modes, but their numbers speak for themselves. With the exception of the Escapac in the S3 I believe the Navy is all Martin Baker.
                        However having said all that, the best bang seat is actually a Russian seat that is soon to be manufactured here in the god 'ol USA. It is capable of Mach number ejections with a shield for the pilot. I believe it was in competition to be put in the JSF.
                        Let me do some diggin and I will try and find more details.
                        "Now we shall have ourselves a pell mell battle!" ......The Immortal Memory, Admiral Nelson

Comment

Hey Hawg166!!!

Good to see you made it over here.

A troop with your sort of experience and knowledge is a great addition indeed to this board.

Thanx for the details bro.

Comment

A god short article about the K36 seat from Russsia can be found at www.aeronautics.ru/k36d.htm

It is pretty impressive. By the way Hello to all here.
                            "Now we shall have ourselves a pell mell battle!" ......The Immortal Memory, Admiral Nelson

Comment

I like the F-111's escape pod. Only problem is they're cnnon fodder in a heavy SAM/AAA area

Comment

Working...
                              X